PDA

View Full Version : M1A/M14 scope mount

ilcop22
09-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Afternoon,

I'm looking for a good scope mount for my NM M1A. If anyone has any suggestions/pics, please let me know. I'm more interested in quality than price. Thanks.

madsenshooter
09-03-2011, 05:23 PM
By all means get a steel one. I had one of the aluminum ones, years ago and it took some time to get it "formed" into the wedge of steel you have on the side of the receiver. Which is to say, for awhile I couldn't get and hold a good zero. Seemed ok once it was down in there, but I'd sure have better spent my money on steel Check out either Fulton Armory, or Springfield Armory. There may be some that rival the quality at a lower price. Shop around.

ilcop22
09-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Something like this?: http://www.promagindustries.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PM081
I can get it for a lot cheaper than that. I've had good luck with Pro-mag steel parts (their magazines are HORRIBLE).

madsenshooter
09-03-2011, 06:45 PM
There you go. Maybe someone will come along that has firsthand experience with it.

ilcop22
09-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I hope. If anyone has that mount, could you provide details and/or pics?

nicholst55
09-03-2011, 07:59 PM
The top-quality scope mounts for the M1A/M14 are made by Sadlak (http://sadlak.com/si_rifle_parts_main.html), Smith Enterprises (http://www.smithenterprise.com/products09.html), A.R.M.S. and Bassett (http://www.bassettmachine.com/). The least expensive one is Bassett. Fulton's mount is a copy of the Brookfield mount used on the M25 sniper rifle; so is the Sadlak, for that matter. Original Brookfield mounts are scarce as hen's teeth, and priced accordingly.

Sadlak sells an inexpensive fitting kit (like $5) used to measure the locating groove on the left side of your receiver. Measure the groove, and then order your mount from them.

The areas where a scope mount attaches to commercial M14-type rifle receivers vary tremendously in geometry, even from the same maker. A random scope mount may or may not fit properly, and then you're stuck deciding whether to modify your mount or your receiver. Using the Sadlak mount and fitting kit can help tremendously there.

I got lucky twice - I picked up a slightly used Smith Enterprise mount in a trade, and it fits my receiver just like it was designed to!

madsenshooter
09-04-2011, 01:36 AM
I have to say it appears Sadlak has put a lot of thought into their mount. Makes me wish I still had that four digit serial #'d M1A, was 1000 something. Had to sell it for college money.

Gtek
09-04-2011, 10:11 AM
I have / had or used about every one they make. Like others have said, they are all a little diff. One thing I started doing during build up, set rifle up in cleaning station or something like. Take fat string (construction type) and tie knot on one end and put through peep. Run down barrel and center on front sight blade hanging over front of barrel with weight tied on the end. look straight down on mount. About half of the ones I tried were crooked and required work. First time years ago, scoped up and went to range and chased for many rounds until I saw a little dirt slide 5' to the left. Gtek

ilcop22
09-08-2011, 04:57 PM
I received the PROMAG steel mount today. The locating groove fits my rifle like a glove. One problem. I followed the directions provided, and the attaching bolt completely stripped out about 30 inch pounds before the requisite 90-100 stated in the instructions. I don't think much - if any - galling occurred to the receiver mounting hole, and I'm hoping they're smart and provided a softer steel bolt so galling won't be an issue. I've contacted them for a replacement, but I'm mighty annoyed right now.

ilcop22
10-07-2011, 01:44 PM
If you check the date of the last post, that's when I first contacted ProMag industries about this issue. Three attempts and a full month later, I finally received a response from the company:

Please call or e-mail me your shipping address and I will send a replacement screw out ASAP. It seems we may have had a run of these screws that were not heat treated correctly.

I apologize for the delay in getting a response from our company, there is no excuse for that.

Better late than never, I suppose! :killingpc

seagiant
10-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Hi,
I was looking at the Promag clone of the ARMS#18 mount as I have never heard anything bad about them. Just before I pulled the trigger on one I put an ad in a M-14 site looking for an original ARMS. I had a hit and after some wheelin,dealing,got it for $115 shipped. Also found some used ARMS#22 detach rings to go with it for half price on Gunbroker. This did not happen overnite and took some hunting but everything works real good with my FA built Polytech. Good luck!

ilcop22
10-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to receive the new screw before the winter hits. Which stock is that mounted on?

seagiant
10-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi,
That is the new Promag Archangle Stock that I picked up new for $200 . It is a solid plastic stock,but has no aluminum bedding block as the more expensive $1000+ stocks do. However I find it to be more stiff than a military fiberglass stock and you get the cheek and LOP adjustments.

I am rather tall so extended my buttpad and my cheek riser to get a little more length but for a $200 stock it is a bargain to me! If you go on the Canadian Gun Nutz site there is a lot of info as the Cunuks are eating these up to go with their Norinco M305-M14's that our Congress in their infinite wisdom are keeping from us!!!:veryconfu ,

ilcop22
10-13-2011, 03:53 PM
I got the replacement screw today... It's about twice as long as the original and protrudes right into the bolt slide recess. Guess who's no longer going to be a ProMag customer?

[smilie=s:

ph4570
01-25-2012, 03:03 PM
The top-quality scope mounts for the M1A/M14 are made by Sadlak (http://sadlak.com/si_rifle_parts_main.html), Smith Enterprises (http://www.smithenterprise.com/products09.html), A.R.M.S. and Bassett (http://www.bassettmachine.com/). The least expensive one is Bassett. Fulton's mount is a copy of the Brookfield mount used on the M25 sniper rifle; so is the Sadlak, for that matter. Original Brookfield mounts are scarce as hen's teeth, and priced accordingly.

Does anyone know if Bassett is still in business? I have emailed them with questions and never received a response.

ph4570
01-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Update,

I just got an email response from Bassett. All my questions were well addressed. I'll be placing an order.

ph4570
02-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Update,

I just got an email response from Bassett. All my questions were well addressed. I'll be placing an order.

Basset shipped my mount promptly. I installed it per the included instructions. I then installed a Simmons scope using Leupold weaver low rings. Per the Bassett instructions I the took off the mount/scope and reinstalled.

The iron sights are still usable with the standard height mount.

Yesterday I headed off to the range. After a few shots it was well sighted in at 50 yds. I moved to 100 yards and did a couple of sight adjustments. I then put 6 5-round sets down range. The groups were good and invariant. The loads were using el-cheapo 150 gr J bullets. The mount held well. I then switched to 168 gr Hornady AMAX and shot two 5 round groups. One was 1.3" and the other 1.1". In each group three rounds were in the same ragged hole.

I am pleased with the mount thus far.

highbrow
02-05-2012, 12:47 AM
Bassett is a great mount. Just make sure to degrease the mounting hole and the screw. Works very well on my Supermatch.

DukeInFlorida
02-05-2012, 09:59 AM
My current M1A came with a Gen I Springfield Armory aluminum mount. It is a two point mount. And, as someone said earlier, one of the lug smushes into the side of your receiver. Springfield Armory says that a Gen I mount which gets mounted in a receiver will forever be specific for that receiver. Unfortunately, the mount that came with my gun wasn't initially installed on that gun, and would forever be loose. That's the issue with the aluminum mounts. Go with steel.

Secondly, most of the better steel mounts are now 3 point contact with the gun. Skip buying any two point mounts (side and stripper clip guide), and go only for the three point versions. The third contact point is in the front portion of the receiver.

Finally, get mount and set of rings that will get the scope as low as possible on your gun. Accuracy will suffer if you try to use a high mount, or high "see under" type rings (for using your open sights). If you are making the decision to go with a scope mount, keep the scope as low as possible.

Post Script: Try not to remove the mount too much. Even minor thread wear will hurt. Use thread locking (non permanent) stuff on threads to keep things from loosening up.

A lot of accuracy issues with scope mounted M1A's has to do with crappy scopes and crappy mounts, rather than actual issues with the accuracy of the gun itself. You've already spent a bunch on a good rifle. Spend a reasonable amount on a good mount, and top that off with good rings, and a good scope.