PDA

View Full Version : Question about a lyaman #45

Bigscot
01-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Does Lyman #45 require any special accessory to seat gas checks? I have seen if mentioned about a gas check seater being included, optional, missing, required, etc.

Thanks,

Bigscot

454PB
01-26-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't own a 45, but do own two 450's. Lyman sells a gas check seater, but I just lay the die wrench across the die nut and use it as a flat base to push the gas check on the boolit base. Most gas checks I use can be simply pushed on with my fingers, but this method works for the times that doesn't work.

Pepe Ray
01-26-2007, 03:04 PM
The gas check seater from Lyman is simply a spacer rod that fits beneath the ejector rod, preventing it from being pushed down as you apply force from above.

make your own very easily from a junk bolt.
Pepe Ray

C A Plater
01-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I've got a 45 and I just put the check on the base and size and lube them. The check is firmly seated on the way into the sizing die and have never needed any extra tools. If you only want to apply the check, do like Pepe Ray says.

Finn45
01-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Lyman gas check seater sold for Lyman 450, 4500 and RCBS lubrisizers does't work with older Lyman #45. The hollow screw that is used to adjust the bottom position in Lyman #45 is larger in diameter than in the new ones. Use suitable wrench or make your own seater from a piece of steel pipe or angle iron if you need one.

Dale53
01-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I have a gas check seater that is simply a large, thick "washer" that has a depressed central area that is set on the die in the #45. The gas check sits in the depression and the sizer merely presses the bullet onto the check. It works very well for those stubborn bullets that refuse to allow you to just push the check on.

After the checks are all seated securely onto the bullets, then you remove the "seater" and lube and size the bullets normally.

I haven't a clue as to where I got it. I really think that Lyman used to sell these.

Dale53

grumpy one
01-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I made a gas check seater for my 45, using the same concept as the Lyman one but modified slightly to make it fit on the 45. It is just a piece of 7/16" rod, 7/8" long, drilled longitudinally with a 1/4" hole, slotted longitudinally 1/4" wide. You use it the same way as the Lyman one for the 450: with the lever fully down, push the seater in between the top of the seating depth adjustment screw and the bottom of the sizing die, so it surrounds the pushrod that pushes the "I" component up on the backstroke. This locks the "I" component of the sizing die in the up position, so you seat gas checks by putting one in the sizing die resting on top of the "I" component, putting a bullet on top of it, and gently pulling the handle down.

I adjust the seating depth screw so that the "I" component is about 1/8" below the top of the sizing die, so the uppermost part of the sizing die ensures that the check and the bullet base are concentric before seating begins.

This whole process works the way Lyman intended it to when you use their seater with the 450 lubesizer. It seats checks completely and squarely, without shaving lead on one side of the bullet base, and you can feel how tight the check is on the bullet base through the handle. The lower lever ratio on the 45 compared with the 450 makes this quite a sensitive process - you can feel exactly what is happening. Having done it this way for the last 800 GC bullets I've sized, I like it and wouldn't go back to my previous crude methods.