PDA

View Full Version : Fillers...have I created a bomb?

klausg
01-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey gang-
This is my first use of a filler, and I thought I ought to check in with you all before I blow up my gun, hand, etc. Awhile back I read somewhere about using a filler almost like a free check, so being bored one day I thought I might do some experimentation. Okay, the info you'll need:

The weapon is a S&W 586,(.357 Mag), roughly '80's vintage. The boolit is a 358429, WW + 2%, water quenched. Primer is CCI 550, powder is 2400 from 11.0 to 13.0 grs in 0.5 gr steps. The powder has approx 1.8 gr of PSB on top, I used a sawed off Lee dipper until it looked right, weighed five and that's the average.

My question is this, is it okay to shoot them or am I better off pulling them all? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

-Klaus

deadguy
01-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't see why the filler would be a problem, but I also don't see why it would be neccesary.

45 2.1
01-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Filler reduces case volume thereby reducing the combustion chamber. This makes the cartridge effectively into a smaller one. One cannot use standard reloading data when you do this if more then a little bit of PSB is used. If you used more than 1/8" of case length, I would be a little concerned about the top loads here in this cartridge. A little is ok up to a certain point, more can make the data invalid for the cartridge. Try the 11.0 gr load and see how it recoils. I think you will stop wanting to shoot them as you go up in charge. 2400 doesn't need filler nor do most of the pistol cartridges. Filler is best used, in rifle cartridges, when loading density is below about 70% usually with very slow powders.

9.3X62AL
01-26-2007, 06:02 PM
I concur with 45-2.1 on his statements. The relative position insensitivity of 2400 and its more consistent performance in lower density loadings has caused it to replace a lot of the H-110/WW-296 loading I once did for Magnum revolvers.

Maven
01-26-2007, 06:33 PM
klausg, This is where (and maybe why) you need a chronograph. I'd first test 10-15 cartridges with 11gr. #2400 and NO filler v. the same number WITH the PSB filler. Both the chrono. & your target will tell you whether you're on the right track. In both tests, make sure the OAL's & crimps are identical (type & amount of) and focus on the target rather than the chrono. Please let us know the results!

mag_01
01-26-2007, 07:58 PM
----Klausg I agree with the others try the 11 gr. load---Keep in mind that fillers increase pressure---So as well as target print out also keep an eye for pressure signs----primer appearance----hard extraction---as well as other pressure signs like heavy recoil---as far as the filler you have picked the best PSB---------Mag

klausg
01-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the replies; a quick range report. I made it up to the 11.5 gr loads,no chrony as yet so I don't have any of that data. I had no obvious pressure signs, but recoil was impressive to say the least. I very cleverly went out to the range thinking that my pistol rest was still in the back of the truck underneath all of the snow. After kicking snow around and a few expletives, I remembered that I had pulled it out to thaw out. So I had to make do with my Carhartt jacket wadded up into a semblance of a sandbag. This imperfect setup allowed the meaty part of my palm to get under the grip and get really hammered between the grip and the top of the bench a couple of times.

Now I have a blood blister on my left hand and a bunch of bullets to pull. All in all I think 45 2.1 is right as usual; overall I will chalk this one up as a bad idea.

-Klaus

9.3X62AL
01-29-2007, 02:20 PM
OUCH! Sorry to hear about the blood blisters, painful and annoying they are. Glad all went well other wise, but pulling boolits is a total PITA--even worse than case trimming, and that takes some real doing.

Swagerman
01-29-2007, 02:35 PM
No disrespect, but I think these filler handloads are trying to tell your hand something.

And I hope your head will get the idea soon...that's why loading man
uels have minimum and maximum starting loads, and that's all folks. :mrgreen:

Please stop with too much filler...its not really needed anyway.

Once seen a guy who thought he could operate a dato blade on a table saw...needless to say, he couldn't pull a trigger anymore...no fingers. [smilie=1:

Jim