PDA

View Full Version : 2400 won't cycle my sks ..

superior
09-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Does anyone know if the porting system on the 16" bbl paratrooper is different from other sks rifles? I've been loading up the Lee 160TL's with 2400 for amazing accuracy, but with loads anywhere from 13-15 grains, the action won't cycle. I know that other sks types will cycle without a problem using 2400, but this little shorty won't. In a way, it's a blessing because I get to employ the straight-pull bolt action method, saving all of my precious cases. I just wish I could get it to cycle gently without exceeding the maximum load of 2400. I'd like some quick follow-up shot cabability.:groner:

missionary5155
09-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Good morning
Is it possible with the shorter barrel the recoil spring is stiffer to account for a higher port pressure with standard Milsurp ammo?
Mike in Peru

303Guy
09-02-2011, 09:01 AM
I'd suggest that the shorter barrel with a fast powder just doesn't have the pressure duration to cycle the action.

RU shooter
09-02-2011, 04:08 PM
I'd suggest that the shorter barrel with a fast powder just doesn't have the pressure duration to cycle the action. Exactly I made a para model out of a beat up Yugo shortening the barrel to 17" and it wouldnt cycle. Easy fix is to get an extra gas rod spring(the one thats under the rear sight base) and shorten it till it cycles .Swap back to the regular one for full power loadings .You could also open up the gas port hole but that is permanent and you would be over gassing the system with normal ammo.

Larry Gibson
09-02-2011, 04:31 PM
try a slower burning powder; suggest H4895. Start at 20 gr and work yo to 100% loading density until you get reliable functioning.

I use 27 gr h4895 under the Lee C312-155-2R in WW or IMI cases with WLR primers. It functions all SKS, even short paratrooper mdls, and AKs. Velocity is 1850 fps out of 20" SKS barrels and accuracy is excellent. Excellent load in my Mini MKX bolt action also.

Larry Gibson

superior
09-02-2011, 07:28 PM
@ Larry...I have used 25-27 grains of h4895 with outstanding results and excellent power.
You're 100% spot-on with that load. I was hoping to scale down my powder selection and economize somewhat using 2400.
@ RU shooter... Thanks for the quick fix suggestion! I've heard of getting a different action spring, but never the gas rod spring. If the gas rod spring serves to unlock the bolt, then as long as the action spring isn't too stiff, it should work. (especially if you've already done it)
Thanks all!