PDA

View Full Version : llama 9mm

fixit
09-01-2011, 02:21 PM
i just stumbled onto a llama 1911 clone in 9mm at a local gunshop, soooooo- does anyone hear have any experience with this brand, and was it good or bad. i've been lusting after the idea of getting a 1911 for some time now!!!

bob

NickSS
09-01-2011, 03:36 PM
I have one that is the size of an officers model made shortly before they went out of business. Mine takes regular 1911 OM mags and will also Use regular lenth ones as well. Mine has an excellent trigger and is in like new condition. It is tight and shoots excellent groups for me. At 15 yards I can blow out the X ring of a 25 yard pistol target with ease. The Older Llamas are also good but they took a none standard magazine. I had one in 45 ACP a bunch of years ago again it was a good shooter. The one I have now caught my eye by the price it was only $300 bucks and the dealer through it two Kimber OM magazines for it too.

Shooter6br
09-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Maybe mine. I sold an old LLama especial model Blue was shot. It shoot well althought military sights Feed hardball with out a problem

kyle623
09-01-2011, 04:03 PM
the quality control on llama's is hit and miss, but it seems by now most of the bad ones arent around anymore. i had the 9mm 1911 years ago and a 45 1911 not long ago. bith worked great with FMJ if you want to shoot hp's you might have to get the barrel ramp polished. another thing, parts slide and barrel cant be swapped with any other 1911 style pistol, most other parts will with some fitting.

ph4570
09-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Hmmm, I inherited a llama 1911 in 45 a couple of years back. It looks new but it seems a bit loose. I have not shot it and I have no ammo. I have dies and brass but no boolits. Maybe I'll have to snag a 6-holer Lee and work with the beast.

tomme boy
09-01-2011, 05:26 PM
The 45 I had was a nightmare when I got it from a local shop. It was used and sold to me as a *** as they put it. I had it up and running after a few hours of work to it. One I fitted a new barrel bushing, a new and longer link and pin. They are known for soft metal used on the link an pin. Ground an polished a new feed ramp in the frame. Ground and polished the face of the barrel. Shot over 7K rounds with it flawlessly before I sold it for 2x's what I paid for it.

They will work or they will be a headache. Just remember that. Also resale for them is very bad unless you can get it cheap. If I remember right when they were new and still being made they were $250.

badgeredd
09-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I've had 2 Llamas. I regret selling both of them. One was a mini 1911 style 380 that would function well with any ammo. The other was a 45 ACP 1911 style that was as good as most Colts but was a little finicky about bullet profile...not uncommon with about any 45 ACP pistol of medium quality.

Edd

rintinglen
09-01-2011, 07:02 PM
I have a Mini-Max 45 that is a piece o; junk. I got it new just after Llama went belly up. It goes bang with FMJ, but the average group looks like something from a flintlock smooth bore. 10 inch groups at 15 yards, zoikes. I had an older model IX that was pretty good and very nice looking, but I sold it when my youngest was born. That was much more accurate.

Old Caster
09-01-2011, 10:46 PM
When I was a kid in the 50's we all dreamed of having a Llama pistol because that was the only one we could have possibly afforded at the time. When I finally bought my first pistol it was a 28 smith and I had forgotten all about Llama's until this post. They weren't thought of as quality back then but the price was very reasonable and I imagine they went bang every time you pulled the trigger which would have been fine with me.

MtGun44
09-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Note that that "1911 looking" pistol is NOT a 1911. Many design differences, many parts will
not interchange.

I have the mini-1911 in .22 LR and it is is a pretty marginal gun, IMO. Very soft steel and
most of the inner parts look like they were filed out of a chunk of steel by hand. I haven't
been able to keep a decent trigger job on mine, despite trying to harden the sear and hammer
notch.

IIRC, the firing pin on the "1911s" are not really floating, and are long enough that a hammer
down on a chambere round has a good chance to fire with a bump to the hammer spur, or
by dropping it. Maybe others have had good results, my little one is OK but kinda marginal.

Bill

ph4570
09-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I dug my "1911" 45 Llama out of the back of the safe. I had forgotten about its horrible trigger. I did not measure it but I would guess it's about a 12 pounder. Based on that and on others posts I am not sure it is worth the time trying to make it a shooter. I inherited it and have never fired it.