PDA

View Full Version : Need a little advice on a 1968 Win 94 30-30

yotatrd4x4
09-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Ok yall I picked up a Win 94 30-30 that's a 1968 made rifle. Its alot better than the 2000 made 94 I had with the awful crossbolt safety and the horrible rebounding hammer. Anyhow I have heard that the post 64 is not so good and also heard that the 94 wasn't as bad as the model 70 shortcuts. Well sorry to side track. My question is on one side of the receiver it has the notorious rust flecks under the blueing. I used steel wool to rub down all the metal and it put a good sheen on it and cleaned up real nice but the right side of the receiver did not. I read somewhere that he receiver was iron plated or something like that to make it take blueing better and it's almost black and real glossy but the rust underneath worries me. It would seem it will only get worse. My main thing is it's old but not a collectible at least not in value but it will be my son's someday so should I sand down the receiver and reblue to at least stop the rust or should I see if a smith can do it. I also have parkerizing capabilities at home and have done several rifle and pistol parts so I could blast the receiver only tape it up and parkerize just the action. Then I could use duracoat in gloss black to make it match again and have excellent weather protection? What do yall think is the best option. Keep in mind it will be a hunting rifle not a collectible so the value will be sentimental not monetary value.

lcclower
09-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Post 64 receivers are graphite steel, they will turn hip-hop purple if you try to blue them.
Think about getting it shot peened and hard chromed?

bob208
09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
just clean it up and a little trutle wax should take care of it a long time. if the blue does wear off then it will look like a pre 64.

yotatrd4x4
09-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Sirs,
I appreciate the advice my main worry is the rust is underneath the iron plating so I have to scrap or sand the rust pits off because they are more like bubbles with nice blueing finish on the outside but raised and rusty underneath.

pietro
09-02-2011, 03:29 PM
[it's almost black and real glossy ]

That sounds like the rifle you got has a black chromed receiver - which Winchester used on some guns.

yotatrd4x4
09-02-2011, 04:36 PM
It could be it's very shiny and I guess it could be the chrome plating letting loose as it does on old bumpers. I would assume that it wasn't chrome because on the corners it's worn to what looks like bare steel with no flaking or scaling like chrome plating usually does. I could be wrong as I know very little about the win 94 rifles other than basic pre and post parts and safety vs no safety and the rebounding hammers.

Four Fingers of Death
09-03-2011, 03:29 AM
Pretty much every one that I have seen from that era are the same.

Chrome plating or one of those spray on finishes are pretty much all you can do to it. Why not do what most of us do? Sleeve it. That is sleeve it alone, we will all be long gone before it becomes a serious problem (if it ever does).

yotatrd4x4
09-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Ok well I prob will just leave it as is just wanted advice on it and as I said before I am not real familiar with the winny rifles. I was just concerned about the rust or what looks to be dust I guess maybe it's just the chrome flaking and not rust at all.

calkar
09-05-2011, 10:46 PM
I have one similar, and plan to give it a bead blast and parkerize next year. Brownells has a blackening additive that you can add to your parkerize solution. Just dont let anyone take a buffing wheel to it. Seeing guns with washed out lettering, edges, and screw holes is really starting to bug me.

kelbro
09-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Parkerize it. The Duracoat is a great finish but a 94 30-30 shouldn't look plastic.

calkar
09-07-2011, 05:34 PM
parkerize to me just has more of a no bull$ (serious tool) look and function, if you get what I mean.

yotatrd4x4
09-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Yeah I wanna just strip it down bead blast it at work and parkerize the action and barrel. Hopefully it will turn out well but I may have it professionally done since it's a pre safety and pre rebounding hammer. I don't wanna mess it up since it's hard to find em now

Junior1942
09-10-2011, 04:25 PM
My vote = leave it be!