PDA

View Full Version : winchester 94 clones or lack there of

olafhardt
09-01-2011, 07:38 AM
In 60 years of shooting I have come to the conclusion that for me the walnut stocked top ejecter Winchester 94 is it for me in 30WCF. Sales figures indicate that I haven't been alone it outsold every thing else. So why don't we have a decent clone of it. The Henry and Rossi 30WCF's are jokes with the weight and grace of a boat anchor. Mossburg stuck a heavy barrel on theirs which makes it a half pound too muzzle heavy. If you want to desicrate a lever with a scope you can get a Marlin. I say to Henry, Rossi, and Mossburg- Trim down those barrels and make a true 6 1/4 or lighter 30-30 Rossi that fat copy of a Marlin receiver won't carry well one handed, A true Win 94 copy would outsell all of these things you're making now. Are you listening China?

jlchucker
09-01-2011, 08:23 AM
It would have to be somebody like China listening, Olafhardt. The others that have tried to clone the 94 Winchester were Winchester themselves, US Repeating Arms, and lately the Japs. All have fixations on obscene decorations, "commemoratives", and goofy safeties. These have not been serious clones. Oh--did I mention obscenely high prices, too? What you are looking for is a deer rifle, plain and simple! I don't think that's been on any manufacturer's radar screen for quite a while now. It may take someone like China, I think.

Maximumbob54
09-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Same thing but different...

I would love to see a clone Savage lever rifle built.

Potsy
09-01-2011, 10:16 AM
A Pre-War Savage 99 clone but chambered in all things based on a .308 case (go ahead and throw in .300 and .250 Savage for the purists) would be nice. Expensive, but nice.

I with you on model '94's. I don't know that there was ever a trimmer feeling rifle built. Even in the long barrelled units. I've wondered if Winchester will bring it back in a form people want at a reasonable price. I doubt it. Hard to market stuff that actually works anymore.

olafhardt
09-01-2011, 03:45 PM
94's were not hard to market they outsold everything else!!

woody1
09-01-2011, 05:18 PM
If you've ever taken a Win. 94 apart you'll know why they won't come back cheap! There's pieces an' parts galore and hard to fit together. BUT, they are certainly a work of art. Take a Marlin apart and you'll see simplicity. Not downrating either one, I like 'em both. Regards, Woody

edit to add: My remarks are strictly pre '64 Winchester 94. I know nothing about the post '64's.

olafhardt
09-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Actually I like the 70's top eject better than the pre 64's. They have a coil mainspring and are easy to take apart and reassemble. I engine turn the receiver, it sucks up oil and is pretty and doesn't rust.

LVRFAN
09-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Maybe there aren't any clones because Winchester made about 8 MILLION of them. Why would anyone in their right mind want a clone when the REAL thing is as common as dirt? As far as taking Winchesters apart for cleaning- I ALWAYS laugh when someone mentions this- you don't have to. They were not INTENDED to be disassembled for cleaning. Yep, the Marlin is a simpler design that can be taken apart for cleaning- that's why so many older Marlins look like they have been "cleaned" by the proverbial idiot with a screwdriver. Most of my Winchesters are over 100 years old and I doubt many of them have ever been apart. They still look and shoot fine. While I'm ranting- I see many people don't want a "Japchester", but they will buy some kind of foreign clone made in Italy, Brazil, etc... Go figure. Sorry, I feel better now.

Potsy
09-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Dad's got a long ignored '94 in the cabinet. I was the last one to hunt it and that would have been about 1994.
Someday I'll pick up one of RD's molds for it and tinker around with it.
You folks are giving me the itch.

Pertsev
09-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Please,no Chinese copies ! That would break my heart. There are old 94's out there waiting to be adoped by a loving home.
The newer ones are travesties with the lawyer safety and what not.Keep checking the classified ads and gunshows,you can find a decent one for $300 or less if you look.

Four Fingers of Death
09-03-2011, 01:32 AM
My first new rifle was a Win 94 way back when. I have had a passel since and currently own two, a Classic and a pre 64.' I wouldn't know where to start pulling one apart. I clean using a Kleen Bore rod with a cone shaped rod guide.

Trouble with 94s in Australia is, apart from the odd Big Bore, the only calibre you ever strike is 30/30, so once you own one, you got it covered. I bought the classic because of the big octangular barrel and the smick wood.

olafhardt
09-03-2011, 03:39 AM
Thank God they did make 8 million; however once there a jillion high numbered Springfields, Colt SSA's were a dime a dozen, Krags, M-1 carbines etc. I've got mine and don't want it to become a collecter item. It would cost Henry, Rossi, and Mossburg no more to put skinny bbls on their guns. That might be all it takes to slick them up. Tang safeties are ok with me. If you have to defile a lever with a scope get a Marlin. I just don't think pointed j things are needed for hunting, blunt noses seem to be better.

izzyjoe
09-03-2011, 08:44 AM
well my marlin 336 is 7.5lb. loaded with a scope,and sling. i don't mind the weight, and i prefer a scope. i like to see what i'm shootin' at. oh' and i don't like hot brass down my collar. the reason winchester stoped making the 94's is cause marlin was out selling them the last 20yrs. and they were expensive to build. they are a very good rifles, i'llgive them that. but some folks prefer more user freindly rifles. i've handled the new mossberg's, and i don't think there that bad. it's not fine qaulity rifle, but in the field it'll get the job done! :D

Four Fingers of Death
09-03-2011, 09:55 AM
After being a 94 Winchester user most of my adult life, I now have several Marlins. One I bought for cowboy action (the 1894 in 44Mag and a deposit on a 1894C that I am having second thoughts about) and the others for hunting, a 336 in 30/30 and a 444. I got these mainly so that I could use a low powered telescopic sight.

I still have two 94s, both in 30/30 (pretty much the only calibre available here).

The Winchesters are a more sturdily built rifle obviously because we never see articles about problems with them, but the sad fact is that teh design doesn't allow the easy use of telescopic sights.

williamwaco
09-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Same thing but different...

I would love to see a clone Savage lever rifle built.

Savage 99? Wow me too

Potsy
09-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Man!!
I looked on Winchester's website (for the first time ever, I think) and saw plenty of new 94's. Listing for about a $1200!
Good luck with that, Winchester.

The mind numbing thing is I was looking at one of their Express Safari Model 70's in .375 and there wasn't much difference in price!!!

Firebricker
09-04-2011, 07:00 PM
The true way to desecrate a classic lever gun is to have it made in communist china ! To me the lever action rifle is an American icon. So no offence but I would take an American made copy with a heavier barrel over a cheaply made copy from a communist country that what even give their own people the right to own one. FB