PDA

View Full Version : Cimmaron(Chiappa) levers. Any good?

bones37
08-31-2011, 09:05 PM
I've seen a few of these Cimmaron made by Chiappa. They look awesome, and have the barrel lengths, twist (1-20) and other features that I want. Does anyone have REAL world experience with these products?? I've searched the internet, and quiet frankly haven't found alot of reviews on these. Thanks.

Bones37

Greg G
08-31-2011, 10:40 PM
I almost bought one recently, but decided to get something else.

They look great on the outside. I'd like to shoot one someday.

cajun shooter
09-01-2011, 01:01 PM
I have heard that they are made by Armi San Marco which is one of the worst Italian makers in guns. They have sold guns for many years but they refuse to make them better. The 1874 Sharps copy has been known to break firing pins and other internal parts after firing only 3-4 rounds. A good friend of mine purchased one for his son last Christmas and it broke after 5 rounds had been fired.
If you are looking to purchase any guns made in Italy then stay with Uberti or Pedersoli and Pietta for revolvers.

WDS
09-01-2011, 06:51 PM
I have a (Puma) Chiappa M92 Rifle in .44 Remington Magnum Blue Steel w/Case Hardened Frame, 20” round barrel. It's a handsome rifle with a ladder type rear sight. I purchased it because of the factory installed ladder sight. Problem is that when fired with factory equivalent loads, the screw retaining the barrel band breaks. As a result the tubular magazine separates from the rifle. I purchased several replacement screws which broke upon installation. They are too brittle to tighten. The ladder sight on the model shipped has no graduations on the ladder to set the sight !

Consider another rifle...

9.3X62AL
09-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Just too many horror stories about Italian repro firearms going around for me to want to try any of them. I would dearly love a repro '73 in 32-20, but I don't need the aggravation potential of warrantee service that turns into a tennis match--serve and volley for months on end.

HDS
09-02-2011, 11:21 AM
I've not heard any horror stories about the '73s which are made by uberti and generally considered good quality.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-02-2011, 12:59 PM
You are mixing apples and oranges here.

Cimarron is in Texas. Mike Harvey (owner, CEO) has been working with Uberti for thirty years. They build the best copies, as functional as the originals, and using modern steels and heat treating. They have a repair/warranty station there.

Chiappa is an entirely different company, no connection. They are not as highly regarded, because of their past record. I have one of their M1876 rifles in 45-60, and a '73 in 45 LC. I have a couple thousand rounds thru the '73 (45LC) with no issues.

I have had zero issues with the M1876, but am trading it off and getting one in 50-95.

Rich

bones37
09-04-2011, 11:17 AM
You are mixing apples and oranges here.

Cimarron is in Texas. Mike Harvey (owner, CEO) has been working with Uberti for thirty years. They build the best copies, as functional as the originals, and using modern steels and heat treating. They have a repair/warranty station there.

Chiappa is an entirely different company, no connection. They are not as highly regarded, because of their past record. I have one of their M1876 rifles in 45-60, and a '73 in 45 LC. I have a couple thousand rounds thru the '73 (45LC) with no issues.

I have had zero issues with the M1876, but am trading it off and getting one in 50-95.

Rich

I may be mixing apples and oranges here, but a visit to Cimarrons website states on its return/repair page that the 1892 are made by Armi Sport/Chiappa. I wish it wasn't true, as I stated those are some really good looking rifles, but I just don't want to risk buying something that is going to be unreliable or break constantly, especially for the price(s) that they're asking for them.

I do thank all of those who responded

John Taylor
09-04-2011, 12:59 PM
A while back a customer sent me an original 1876 action only and wanted it put together for shooting. I bought a Chiappa and robbed all the parts needed. Ended up doing quite a bit of work. The Chiappa had the barrel about one turn shot of the shoulder and glued into the receiver. Remarkably the threads were the same on the barrel and the original action. I had to fit the wood a bit but got it all together with a lot less cost than making everything from scratch. I now have a very nice looking Chiappa action that I will probably build into a rifle for myself. The action itself is clean and works smooth and the color case looks good. The wood that came with the gun looked like it had a painted figure, any sanding and it would not look the same.

HDS
09-06-2011, 03:00 PM
I may be mixing apples and oranges here, but a visit to Cimarrons website states on its return/repair page that the 1892 are made by Armi Sport/Chiappa. I wish it wasn't true, as I stated those are some really good looking rifles, but I just don't want to risk buying something that is going to be unreliable or break constantly, especially for the price(s) that they're asking for them.

I do thank all of those who responded

Its true, for the 1892, they switched from Rossi to Chiappa a few years ago. The 73's and 66's are still Ubertis though.