PDA

View Full Version : have you taught someone to cast?

Castlead
08-31-2011, 03:57 AM
To build on the poll by 8mmshooter on age of casters, I am wondering how many younger (or older) people we have taught to cast to promote our art? I was taught by my uncle Richard 16 years ago and have taught 4 others since then. Please count only the ones who actually do cast on a regular basis.

TEACH SOMEONE TODAY!

sqlbullet
08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
I have taught lots of people to cast. I couldn't begin to count, nor catalog how many cast today. Scout groups would constitute the largest number of people probably. Several friends who still cast that I know of since they use my equipment.

In the course of selling excess lead over the last few years I have had 8 or 10 people that I have walked through the basics when they picked up their first 40 lbs of lead. Maybe 3-4 have become regular buyers.

Wayne Smith
08-31-2011, 10:55 AM
I have taught two to cast so far.

Moonie
08-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Tried to teach my sons, they are far more interested in shooting than in casting and reloading, perhaps one day when the youngins slow down a bit. Middle son does want to get the equipment, just never seems to follow through on it.

justingrosche
08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Hell, I'm sill waiting for some one to teach me. LOL

Hardcast416taylor
08-31-2011, 01:33 PM
I have taught 5, that I can remember, how to cast lead - only wish all of them were still around.Robert

Beau Cassidy
08-31-2011, 03:54 PM
I have taught one. Another has plenty of lead but is too lazy to cast.

Harter66
08-31-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm working w/my first student now. We will soon have a day to actually get together and walk through the hands on part of it all. I'm looking forward to it actually he really seems into it. He's been liking about in here for a month or so.

JeffinNZ
08-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Two. Me first at the "Great South Pacific Reinvention of the Wheel" and then Tertle.

Jailer
08-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Well I've only been at casting for a little over a year now and I've taught 2 what I've learned so far.

I have an 11 year old nephew that loves to shoot with me. My sister called a couple weeks ago while they were at a garage sale. My nephew had found a press and called to ask me if it was a good one and if he should buy it.

I got a feeling I'll have an apprentice soon.

crabo
09-01-2011, 12:19 AM
6 so far. However, there are a lot more who are so willing to help me shoot my cast. I have a couple more lined up waiting for cooler weather.

plmitch
09-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Still learning here, but my grandskids are looking over my shoulder while I'm at it.

mongo
09-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Im still learning, But everyday I learn something else about casting is a good day. I'm going to show one of my shooting buddys how to cast next week. I remember reading "Give a man a bunch of boolits you cast and he can shoot for a day, Teach a man how to cast his own and he can shoot for a lifetime" Somethin like that LOL Tommy

bobthenailer
09-01-2011, 07:36 AM
I dont know if i ever taught anyone to cast but i have showed a few people how to ! most arent to intrested , if so its for a short time. but i have offered to teach many people but most of the time, i sadly never hear back from them . All of my old casting buddies have passed on or relocated to far away from me . Most people just buy commercial cast, they have been alot more avaliable over the past 20 years than in the past. When i started casting in the 1970s you bought commercial jacketed or swedged bullets or nothing . thats why i started the wonderful additive hobby of bullet casting . im almost at the 1/2 million mark after 43 years of pumping PB.
But i did help a old friend this summer to get back into reloading after many years of being away from it . he gave his brother all of his old equipment years ago and had to buy everything all over again.

TXGunNut
09-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Great idea, OP. Might be better if someone taught me first, tho. I'm mostly self-taught but very well read and I listen to folks who know what they're doing. Going pretty well so far. My first boolits were better than anything I bought, and I bought a lot![smilie=w:
For now I encourage like-minded individuals and promote the cause.

Pertsev
09-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Learned about 35 years ago from my Dad and the LYMAN book. He has not cast any bullets for a while,but he still shoots them.
Swapped for a M92 Winchester in 38-40 and Dad gave me a Lyman single cavity mold for it.Bullets turned out OK. Got a LYMAN 4 cav mold for 45 ACP 225 RN at cheap price,man o man,thought I was really crankin' bullets out then !

Last three years taught my son how to cast, and my younger brother. My wife came to help at the shop,showed her how to use the Magma Cast Master hand operated machine. She was impressed and pleased to make some good bullets in a short amount of time.
Taught a fellow I know from former job how to cast bullets,he got the hang of it fairly quick.He used to cast fishing sinkers,so he had a rough idea of the process.

Always stressed SAFETY to all. Glasses are a MUST. Some sort of gloves that are comfortable.

Cover as much skin as you can.One slip of an ingot can make a nasty burn.Keep water away from the pot !

It is always good to pass knowledge along.

colt 357
09-02-2011, 01:16 PM
You guys taught and help me now I'm showing my 14 yr old son as his has a interest but most of the time his x box pulls him away. But he love to clean guns after shooting.

xdmikey
09-04-2011, 08:16 PM
i'm here to learn as well! almost bought the setup today but i need to find a steady supply of wheel weights first!

imashooter2
09-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Two... three if I include myself.

beladran
09-04-2011, 08:39 PM
on msgunowners.com we have casting parties about 4 times a year, mainly at the gun range in byram ms. we are doing our best to get more people into the art of casting..

Rockydog
09-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I've only been at this a couple of years. I'm casting courtesy of mr mom giving me a Lee Drip o matic and having all of you as teachers and mentors. Now that I'm getting about halfway where I want to be I'm looking for my first "victim". RD

CWME
09-04-2011, 08:49 PM
1ish, my 2.5 year old pulls the handle on the sizer. She gets a kick out of the boolits falling out the bottom.

Not sure if it counts at her young age but it is a start=)

NoZombies
09-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Guess I've taught 4 or 5 that are still casting, a few others who only did it for a little bit, with my equipment, but never made the move to do it on their own.

frankenfab
09-04-2011, 11:02 PM
I've taught one, and he caught on pretty quick.

theweswillard
09-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I haven't taught anyone to cast although as I start to save $$$ and have access to what calibers I need when I need them not being limited to what I have in stock (purchased) a couple will come around. I can say thought that I've been reloading for about 2 years and started casting this year. I love it, fills the void in between reloading and range time. I'm also 26, I'm the youngest of most of my friends (and the coolest). I will reload and cast for years to come. Who taught me? This forum, the great people I talk to in the chat just about every night and the fantastic posts scattered all over this site. I'm grateful for all of it. I know making a donation isn't the best way to show thanks, sometimes a thank you helps as well. So for those that have taught me on here, thanks.