PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up an old mold

mstarling
08-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Guys,

I have Lyman 4 cavity 358477 mold that is 35 or so years old. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line I loaned it (and a 452460) out. I remember getting it back in something less than wonderful condition. There was some light corrosion on it. I did spray it with BreakFree and put it a plastic box along with other molds.

Do not remember getting the 452460 back so am replacing it with a group buy mold.

Got out the 358477 and started to clean it up. Hit it with strong detergent, then bronze wool, and the polished the cavities with simichrome. Is a very challenging process and being an old guy it's hard on the hands.

I think it's going to be OK to cast with. Will find out on Thursday.

My question is ... anyone have a good process for recovering old molds?

zuke
08-31-2011, 08:39 AM
There's a big thread going on about this exact subject.
Degrease your mold and let it sit in Evapo-rust for a couple hour's.
Google it and you should be able to find it locally.

Found it!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=123965

mstarling
08-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the pointer. Thank Heavens mold is not in that bad shape!!! Will cast some slugs with it and see what else needs to be done.

BudRow
08-31-2011, 10:28 AM
I have cleaned up cavities with my Dremel Tool. Take a Q-tip and cut it leaving just enough of the shank to chuck up in the collet of the Dremel. Then charge the swab with the finest valve compound, a little oil & comet (any scouring cleanser) or jewler's rouge depending on how aggressive you need to get. Change swabs often. Best Wishes, BudRow

HORNET
08-31-2011, 12:26 PM
You might want to read this thread as well: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=126129 . Once you get a few cast, mark some more as to the cavity, get some fine lapping compound (320 grit or so) and cross-lap the cavities if they need it. See the stickies on "Lee-menting" for some of the methods. There's some 'pucker-factor' on the first one you do but it's not complex.

mstarling
09-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Cast some with the mold in question today. Worked fine ... so the bronze wool and very fine polishing material did what it was supposed to do.

Thanks guys!

(I cast bullets with an original H&G 4 cavity, this Lyman 4 cavity, a Lee two cavity 320 gr .44 mold, and an NEI 400 gr .416 mold today. The H&G sure is a wonderful mold. The Lyman is pretty decent. They are both over 30 years old. The Lee is new ... and really is a junk by comparison.)