PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weights

bowfishn
08-30-2011, 08:28 PM
I got a chance to talk to a scrap metal dealer today and he will sell me 100 lbs of wheel weights for .47 a pound and I will get to pick through the weights to sort out what I don't want. I can get that amount every month for as long as I need to. I must go through him, he is the owner of the yard, his help will not be able to sell to me as they have a policy of not selling to the public. I'm very happy with this because I will be able to get all that I will need from them. :D

badbob454
08-30-2011, 09:28 PM
good score !!

imashooter2
08-30-2011, 10:12 PM
These days, any steady source is a good thing. Congrats!

Wally
08-30-2011, 10:23 PM
I got a chance to talk to a scrap metal dealer today and he will sell me 100 lbs of wheel weights for .47 a pound and I will get to pick through the weights to sort out what I don't want. I can get that amount every month for as long as I need to. I must go through him, he is the owner of the yard, his help will not be able to sell to me as they have a policy of not selling to the public. I'm very happy with this because I will be able to get all that I will need from them. :D

How do you sort them at the place....?

Gtek
08-31-2011, 12:14 AM
bowfishn- you do not not how lucky you are! I would grab all you can and make sure Santa visits him in a couple months. Gtek

fredj338
08-31-2011, 02:28 AM
Seriously good score. If you can afford it, buy 1000# straight away, good deals like that tend to go away. I had a tire shop owner selling me his 5gal buckets for $20 cash every 2m like clock work. Then some guy came along & offered him $50/. He wanted to sell them to me, but with the lead ban here, they were getting skinny, less than 60% last time I got one, so that source is now gone. Lead ww ban could come to your state sooner than later too. Get it while you can, you can always sell some off.

Sonnypie
08-31-2011, 03:04 AM
Hey Fred,
I found a range that sells 25# bags of Magnum shot. I bought 4 bags, 100# this afternoon.
I went to the sources web site because the guy at the range didn't know about the Antimony amount.
Their site didn't say either. But then I found THIS (http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-469936.html) discussion about it.
Appears Magnum shot has more Antimony (4% - 6%) to increase it's hardness.
I think it will be a win-win for me. First, it was reasonable $1.53 a pound after taxes.
Second, I can melt some down and load my shotgun shells. I can add solder to get the tin up for boolits.
And it is clean.

Thought I would mention it to you. Pretty soon we won't be able to brake wind in this State.

bslim
08-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Great score. Considering you will have cut down on your % of loss by sorting out all of the steel and zinc WW. With the diminishing supply of WW's, stocking up might be a great idea. Nothing lasts forever.

cajun shooter
08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
The largest problem I found is that every tire dealer that I had at one time now either is on a recycle program or reusing the weights. I tried to tell one new owner that laughed when I went by to pick up the WW's that I had received in the past. He advised that he was bending the clips back and reusing them. That is against Federal Law as it is too easy for those clips to come off once they are installed and taken off.
Several Tire Companies advised that the WW companies have a recycle program now. They receive credit for any old weights turned in. This is not information that I tried to verify.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-31-2011, 10:55 AM
cool i just bought 65lbs of raw WW for $35. shipped i feel good now

winelover
08-31-2011, 11:05 AM
The largest problem I found is that every tire dealer that I had at one time now either is on a recycle program or reusing the weights. I tried to tell one new owner that laughed when I went by to pick up the WW's that I had received in the past. He advised that he was bending the clips back and reusing them. That is against Federal Law as it is too easy for those clips to come off once they are installed and taken off.
Several Tire Companies advised that the WW companies have a recycle program now. They receive credit for any old weights turned in. This is not information that I tried to verify.

My mechanic told me basically the same thing when I asked about WW's.

Winelover

starbits
08-31-2011, 01:01 PM
The largest problem I found is that every tire dealer that I had at one time now either is on a recycle program or reusing the weights. I tried to tell one new owner that laughed when I went by to pick up the WW's that I had received in the past. He advised that he was bending the clips back and reusing them.

My reply to them reusing them is always "You can't reuse the stickys and some of the clipons are too damaged to reuse. Save those for me." Takes longer to fill a bucket, but turns a non-source into something.

Starbits

Defcon-One
08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
At that price, sorted before you buy, I'd buy 1,000 lbs. too.

If he has a lot of inventory, go for the bigger lead weights and skip the little stuff. More lead, less clips.

fredj338
08-31-2011, 07:43 PM
At that price, sorted before you buy, I'd buy 1,000 lbs. too.

If he has a lot of inventory, go for the bigger lead weights and skip the little stuff. More lead, less clips.

Exactly! If it were in SOCal, I would go & help you sort for 500# worth @ that price. Going forward, the good ole days will be 50c/# for bullet alloy.

mac3
09-01-2011, 12:13 AM
I scored another 50 Lbs of raw WW today. I have 2 suppliers @ about #50 and #30 per month. I explained what I was doing with them and am getting them @ .25c per lb. I'm up to about #500 and when this weather breaks, I'm gonna smelt them all for casting this winter. I am blessed.

mstarling
09-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Picked up a 5 gallon bucket from my usual tire center provider yesterday. Was a bit taken aback when he told me he was getting $40 a bucket. Started out at $15 then went to $20 a year ago. During that time I put up 750 pounds of material. Thought it was time to add to the stash.

Guess my horror was not that well founded as I usually get 110 to 120 pounds of ingots from one of his buckets.

mtgrs737
09-03-2011, 12:19 AM
I feel really blessed, I have a great supplier that yeilds about two buckets a month at $25 a bucket. Last time I was there, I was supprised to find I didn't bring enough buckets to haul it all off in, I split the weights into half buckets when I dirve my car due to the difficulty of lifting them in the trunk full. I would say that before I found this source I was striking out constantly, so keep up the search until you find your "pot o lead" at the end of the rainbow.

KohlerK91
09-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Every few months I can get a 5 gal bucket of raw WW for $25. This last one weights about 135lbs. I wouldnt call it a reliable source but I swing by on the way home from work.

bowfishn
09-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I picked up some of the WW today, but I needed some pure lead as well so I went 50 lbs of WW and 50 lbs of pure lead. Next time I will take all WW, I only use the pure for my hunting alloy so the HP will expand without breaking apart. Will go back in a month and get 100 lbs of WW that I pick from his stock. Will try and get the larger WW so I have less weight in clips.

howards
09-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I just posted about finding WW for .90 a pound.:shock:

But it is what what it is arould here with other people looking for lead.

Wonder what they want it for?