PDA

View Full Version : Uberti `73 metal hardness

smokinbarrel
08-30-2011, 05:14 PM
After roughly 200 rounds through a new .357 `73 Uberti, I see noticable peening on the hammer were it contacts firing pin. The pin appears unmarred, but the hammer is definately developing an imprint on it. Has anyone else experienced this? I am wondering if the hammer is too soft.
Thanks to all.

duckndawg
08-30-2011, 06:29 PM
yes mine is the same way, i have around 2,000 rounds thru mine. all should be ok. others i have seen are the same way and they have more rounds down the tube than i do. oh and the ones i'm refering to are from the SASS shooters, and we dont baby our 73s!

cajun shooter
08-31-2011, 12:04 PM
I have about 3500 through mine and it shows a very slight wear pattern where the hammer and firing pin extension meet.

August
08-31-2011, 11:57 PM
All four of my Uberti '73 rifles have peening on the hammer face from its contact with the firing pin extension.

The profile of the rear of the firing pin extension seems to determine the severity of the marks.

I just had this conversation with my gunsmith and he said he has never had to resurface a hammer because of this wear. He does guns for some of the best and most prolific shooters in the country. So, if he's never had to replace a hammer, I'm not going to worry about it.