PDA

View Full Version : How to read micrometer

heavyd
08-29-2011, 10:57 PM
I bought an RCBS micrometer and it did not come with any instructions. Can someone please tell me how to read it?

08-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Call RCBS. They will mail instructions.

Google will help, in the meantime.

theperfessor
08-29-2011, 11:17 PM
The first URL is to a website called the Machinist's Assistant. Not all the sections are filled out but there is enough there to be useful.

http://www.usi.edu/science/engineering/machasst/machasst.htm

This URL is the specific section that explains how to read an inch based micrometer.

http://www.usi.edu/science/engineering/machasst/meastool/readmic.htm

Hope these help you out.

tackstrp
08-29-2011, 11:47 PM
i purchased a digital micrometer to compare with my mechancial , Only way i could be sure if i could trust my readings.

Rolling Stone
08-30-2011, 09:35 AM
The problem I see with digital stuff with batteries is they always die when I need them most. A way around this is to "mike" a known size something like a .224 bullet or a .357 bullet and compare the way the little marks look at a known size . In machine shop practice we use "jo" blocks to do this little deal. Johansson blocks are a way of taking out of the equation any mistakes due to wear or inaccurate threads in the screw of the mike (micrometer). I think most people can do this close enough with a little help.
Another little tip on 0-1" mikes is to check the reading at "0" and make sure nothing has changed from the last time you used the instrument.
RS

mdi
08-30-2011, 12:44 PM
I started using "mikes" professionally in 1969 as a machinist's helper. I do not trust (can't get used to?) some random numbers popping up on a display. Same with calipers (I now have three, a digital, a dial, and vernier, and only the dial calipers get used). Even with fading eyesight a vernier scale isn't hard to read on a micrometer, and sometimes you can "read between the lines", and no ruined tools from leaky and/or dead batteries. Theperfessor's post/links are excelleny explainations (look at the first numbers, .100", look at the .025" hashmarks, and add the numbers on the thimble. Piece o' cake). It's really easy to learn to read a standard micrometer and once you get the hang of it, you'll prolly like it better than a digital...

heavyd
08-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks everyone. That was a great link Professor. Reading a Mic isn't as hard as it looks.

W.R.Buchanan
08-30-2011, 06:03 PM
It shouldn't be 'that' hard at all,,, after all they let "machinists" do it! :bigsmyl2:

Randy