PDA

View Full Version : Alum Checks on RD 460-350

onondaga
08-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I have been wanting to try aluminum gas checks for a long time and for an even longer time I've been wanting to try gas checked boolits with my .458 Win Mag Colt/Sauer Grand African.

My orders from RanchDog for a new mold, FactorySales LLC for mold handles and thegascheckstore's Steve Johnson all arrived in record time of just a few days!!!!!!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/RD460350.jpg
I gave the mold an alcohol cleaning and a close look with a 6X magnifier hood. This mold looks terrific, I lubed it and I put the handles on.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/AChex014.jpg
The Gas Checks look great. I contacted Steve Johnson and sent him a link to the RanchDog site drawing of the RD460-350. Steve said that his .014 Aluminum 45 cal rifle checks would be fine and he sent me a good size sample to try and make sure for myself before ordering. Steve is a good businessman and has lightening fast shipping. His checks are half the price of Hornady checks and shipping is included! Link to his site:

http://www.thegascheckstore.com/home.html

I will be busy casting and lubing, sizing/checking/lubing with 45:45:10 Recluse and loading a ladder of charges from 1950 to 2200 fps with the RD460-350 and H4895 and A2230 for my .458 Win Mag.

A range report will be posted also, but the fun has finally started.

Gary

Gelandangan
08-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Are those boolits Plain Based?

I am always curious on how does the plain based boolits sit in the gas check BEFORE swaging them together.

onondaga
08-29-2011, 11:17 PM
The RanchDog TLC460-350-RF that I am starting with is a Gas Check boolit design. You can view a drawing with measurements of this boolit at the Ranch Dog website:
http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC460350RF/bullet/sketch.jpg

Using gas checks on boolits not designed for them is a matter of dispute in the boolit casting/shooting community. The chief argument against that practice is that checking a plain based boolit distorts it and the chief argument supporting that practice is that the distortion doesn't matter. Take your pick or prove it to yourself one way or the other in your own application. But, it is arguable either way, so be wary of who is presenting their opinion and what they have to gain.

Gary

Suo Gan
08-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Darrell has copper GC's for sale for a couple bucks cheaper than the aluminums you are using. They are in the group buy area. FYI (If you didn't already know).

onondaga
08-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks Suo Gan,
I knew that but really wanted to try Aluminum Checks out of curiosity and play with them for myself.

Gary

Sagebrush7
08-30-2011, 10:02 PM
If you would like to test some .463 aluminum checks that were made for the RanchDog mold drop me a PM. Sagebrush7

onondaga
08-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Thanks, That sounds interesting too. Ck your PM.
Gary

onondaga
09-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Jim,

The sample aluminum checks you sent for the Ranchdog boolit seated fine and sized to .459" onto my .460 boolits. They are just a little loose and can be spun but I am sure my rifle will really get them tight on firing as my bore slugs at .4570" in my .458 Win Mag Colt/Sauer Grand African.

Have a peek:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/rhymeswithwhat/AL45RD.jpg

Thanks a lot for the samples!

Gary

swheeler
09-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Gary; could be my eyes, or the picture, but bullet on the far right does'nt seem to have any sizing done infront of top grove as the others do. Actually the others seem to be sized more on one side than the other.

onondaga
09-15-2011, 03:04 PM
You are correct. There is just a hint of a touch sizing forward of the groove on that one. This is my first 6 cavity mold and I haven't perfected my thermodynamics with it yet. They are from my first and only run so far, that bullet isn't perfect but all the ridges between the lube grooves are sized. I am only sizing down .001" ...It is me, not the boolit mold or the sizing die! They are terrific. The slant look is the lighting not the sizing.

Gary

swheeler
09-15-2011, 10:59 PM
One of those @ 2200fps should poke a nice hole in a deer, maybe 3 or 4 at once ifin you line 'em up MQ sryle!

onondaga
09-16-2011, 04:14 PM
I tried those 2200 fps loads at the range today. They group fine but they hurt me too much. I actually had a nose bleed from hanging on too tight after the first 20. Then I began to flinch. I am backing down.

Gary

josper
09-19-2011, 04:11 AM
I have an old west 359-350 mould that throughs boolits that do size off side and very surprising they shot good groups inspite of this flaw.Go figure.Gary, what are you getting for groups with the ranch dog boolits?

onondaga
09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
The groups with the RD boolit are not representative yet. I have only tried at 2200 fps and that is 350 fps above the top end of my desired velocity.

5 groups of 5 shots were fired. 3 groups were just under 2 inches at 50 yards. The others had fliers due to my flinching and poor hold.

I will start at 1600 and ladder up with 2 powders to see what the RD will really do in my rifle.

Gary

josper
09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Gary:My load for that style boolit has been 47gr.of RX7 with good results.Let me know how you make out as I am considering the same RD mould.I keep thinking what results would I get If I had good boolits when Im getting good results with flawed ones.Honest,The first time I loaded some to try I had no expectations of them working so well.It still has me shaking my head.