PDA

View Full Version : 300grain lee rfn in a 45lc for hunting?

45lcrevolver
08-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Okay guys here is my question. I would like to load a few of these lee 300 grain rfn for hunting but I am hunting with a uberti saa clone. It needs to be standard pressure. Now I have seen some loads for this bullet that only gets it going to about 700ft per second. Is that enough power to kill a deer at 50 yards? Now I know I can use a 255 swc but would really like to use the heavier bullet. Also what are your loads for the 300grain bullet in a 45lc but that are safe in a uberti saa clone? Thanks any info will help thanks.

missionary5155
08-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Good morning
Under 50 yards a 255 gr. will take care of any white tail except for the grill door shot...
What barrel length are you working with ? A 7" will throw lead a bit faster than 5".
A 300 grainer with a starting load of 6.5 grains to 7 grains will get you to 700 fps. Your particular revolver is going to have tolerances different than mine but if you work up adding .3 grains a try you should be able to get to 850 fps at about 8 grains depending on the barrel length . That will go through from any angle as long as no heavy leg bone is struck. Your revolver will let you know when too much is getting close.
Put it into the ribs and that deer is history. Try for a shot that will not cause a far shoulder impact so you will have a good exit wound. I would cast it from 25 / 75 (WW - lead). This mix will expand at this FPS and make a dandy exit hole.
Mike in Peru

45lcrevolver
08-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks for help. So what powder are we talking about. I have a 4 5/8 in barrel.

superior
08-30-2011, 01:21 PM
800fps should be plenty for deer at 50 yards with that boolit. I shoot the same one, as well as the 452-255. The 255 will do what you want it to do also. I think your ability to place your shot carefully, like Missionary5155 suggests, will determine your level of success. That 300 Lee is a serious "soupcan". Are you using a gascheck? If not, please let me know what kind of accuracy you're getting, as I shoot them with a check at approx. 1100fps with pinpoint accuracy at 25 yards. (Ruger Blackhawk 7.5 bbl) My load is 12 grains HS-6. Although it's a mild load for my pistol, I would not recommend it for yours.

Doughty
08-30-2011, 03:16 PM
45lcrevolver,

Some years back I shot a good sized mulie doe at a range of about 50+ yards. I was using a Ruger vaquero 4 5/8s in .45 Colt. The bullet was a 310 grain cast slug. The powder was some unremembered amount of Unique that got the slug going 710 fps. The shot was standing broadside. At the shot, the doe jumped and ran about 20-30 yards, stopped and stood still for a second or two, then fell over. The slug had hit behind one shoulder and came out behind the other. It could still be going as far as I know. I think what you're wanting to do will work okay.

45lcrevolver
08-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Kool thank you

45lcrevolver
08-30-2011, 10:49 PM
800fps should be plenty for deer at 50 yards with that boolit. I shoot the same one, as well as the 452-255. The 255 will do what you want it to do also. I think your ability to place your shot carefully, like Missionary5155 suggests, will determine your level of success. That 300 Lee is a serious "soupcan". Are you using a gascheck? If not, please let me know what kind of accuracy you're getting, as I shoot them with a check at approx. 1100fps with pinpoint accuracy at 25 yards. (Ruger Blackhawk 7.5 bbl) My load is 12 grains HS-6. Although it's a mild load for my pistol, I would not recommend it for yours.

How can I about working up a load to 800 with unique. I think the max I saw got me only to like 750. I am going to try it with out a gas check, but do you think a gas check will give me better accuracy. I think I'll just load some up and try to shoot them this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

superior
08-31-2011, 01:43 AM
How can I about working up a load to 800 with unique. I think the max I saw got me only to like 750. I am going to try it with out a gas check, but do you think a gas check will give me better accuracy. I think I'll just load some up and try to shoot them this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I wouldn't try to reach 750 based on my Hodgdon data manual#26. It lists 7 grains Unique as a max load at 689fps (and that's from a 7 inch test bbl).
I would try working up to that load, and even with the shorter bbl, you'll still have more than enough chili pepper to plunk through a deer.:guntootsmiley:

superior
08-31-2011, 01:53 AM

I wouldn't try to reach 750 based on my Hodgdon data manual#26. It lists 7 grains Unique as a max load at 689fps (and that's from a 7 inch test bbl).
I would try working up to that load, and even with the shorter bbl, you'll still have more than enough chili pepper to plunk through a deer.:guntootsmiley:

As for the gas check, only your target will tell about accuracy. I've never shot the 300 without one, but then, I've never shot them below 1100fps. Let me know how they shoot! I busted a fox close to my chicken coop at about 25 yards with a 255 grainer plain base. It blew a half dollar sized hole through him and went through a small mesuite tree after it exited. It's feet hit it's belly before the rest of him hit the ground. That was also traveling in the 1100fps range.

45lcrevolver
08-31-2011, 08:31 PM
I busted a fox close to my chicken coop at about 25 yards with a 255 grainer plain base. It blew a half dollar sized hole through him and went through a small mesuite tree after it exited. It's feet hit it's belly before the rest of him hit the ground. That was also traveling in the 1100fps range.

Impressive!

I'm going to try 2400. In the Lyman cast book I remember reading a load that gives me like 730 or 750 with 12.5 of powder. Also in that book it show a load that uses 17,500 pressure(that was safe in any 45 lc), and the 12.5grains of 2400 is listed at either 12,500 or 13,500. I can't remember, so maybe there might be room for 13 grains of 2400? Maybe I should load some and try 13grains of 2400 and hope for the best lol.:bigsmyl2: