PDA

View Full Version : Custom top punches & seater screws.

Wally
08-29-2011, 10:04 AM
I use "search" and couldn't find anything on this. Other probably do this aswell...

I use epoxy to make custom TP's a SS's. Often even the correct ones will mar a bullet tip and so I fill the cavities in the appropriate cavities of the TP's & SS's an let set for about an hour using regular (not quick set) epoxy. I then place a layer of stretched saran wrap over the tip on the bullet and press so that it will take the shape of the bullet tip.

For .38 Cal I use a 429, for .40 & .41 Cals a 43, for .44 Cal .421, & for the .45 Cal a 424. This will work for all SWC, TC, RNF, & WCs. For a RN profile I use a 311 in the .38 Cal & a 383 in the .44 Cal.

To remove the epoxy frem the TP's or the SS's just heat with a propane torch just enough to melt it...it will usually "dump out"--I then let it cool and polish out with fine steel wool. Be sure to degrease them so that the epoxy sticks in them.

MT Gianni
08-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Buckshot makes a set of "blank" top punches to do that with, the Professor? makes some custom punches as well.

theperfessor
08-29-2011, 01:17 PM
I've been offering custom punches for Lyman/RCBS luber/sizers that stay in place without a setscrew and have a cup nose that is designed to be filled with epoxy/JBWeld for a while. They're $8.50 each (shipping included).