PDA

View Full Version : Truncated cone point rifle bullet

JudgeBAC
01-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Does anyone have any experience hunting medium size game with cast truncated cone point rifle bullets? Is this an acceptable design for hunting purposes? I have read some reports that this bullet in handguns is an acceptable stopper for self defense but I have no experience hunting with this bullet.

Four Fingers of Death
01-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Do you mean flap pointed truncated cone boolits or pointy ones?

JudgeBAC
01-28-2007, 08:31 PM
The bullet is a Saeco .270 140 gr. Truncated Cone Gas Check.

Beerd
02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Like the one in the middle?

Bass Ackward
02-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Judge,

If you are talking handgun truns, then you probably have enough meplat to get somethings attention. Truns were really designs to cut nose weight thus either allowing lighter bullets per caliber or longer bearing areas in the same weights while improving ballistic coefficient.

If you are talking rifle and the 270, then I would prefer another design myself. Not sure exactly what's available for a 270 any more. Another option, you can use a file on it for those few you would need for hunting.

I have shot exactly one deer with a 160 spitzer in 30-06 at 2600 fps. I was not pleased with the result, to answer your question.

JudgeBAC
02-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Beerd: Yes it is exactly like the one in the middle.

Bass: I was afraid that would be the problem. I thought about asking Buckshot to make a flat point mould out of this if possible. None of the .270 moulds I have seen seem to be designed for hunting. It looks like they are all target bullets. Anyway, what do you think about applying some Buckshot magic?

Bass Ackward
02-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Beerd: Yes it is exactly like the one in the middle.

Bass: I was afraid that would be the problem. I thought about asking Buckshot to make a flat point mould out of this if possible. None of the .270 moulds I have seen seem to be designed for hunting. It looks like they are all target bullets. Anyway, what do you think about applying some Buckshot magic?

Judgy Wudgy,

Does that date me? (Three Stooges man?) Richard can make you a pin to go up in and put a mepper on that puppy for sure. Shame that you have to go through the agrivation when molding, but the 270 is not a notorious cast bullet hunting caliber.

Judge, .... come on now fella. Shouldn't a good 35 be in your future? Save that 270 for target work and listen to the bang - flop of the 35. Still some new Whelens floatin around. Then .... we can talk effectiveness. :grin:

JudgeBAC
02-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Unfortunately my gun budget is shot for the moment. I am to the point I dont like to get rid of anything to get something else although I must admit a 35 in a lever gun is intriguing but for now I will stick with the japchester .270. It is nice and shoots well. Haven't tried cast yet but will soon.

Doughty
02-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Judge,

Have you thought about making some soft points to hunt with? Might be the easist solution. The process has been pretty well documented in some of the threads here.

JudgeBAC
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Good suggestion, I had not thought of that. I will look through the old threads and give it a try. Thanks.

jhalcott
02-06-2007, 11:40 PM
you could soft nose them as stated. I have done this with a 358318 .35cal mold .At 2000 fps results are better than promising! I haven't been able to test it on LIVe targets,but results in wet and dry phone books show a definate improvement in performance. There is also the fact that regular or softnosed they shoot the same. cast up a dozen or so softies and you SHOULD be set for a couple seasons.All your practice can be done with the regular nosed bullets.

Nrut
02-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Good suggestion, I had not thought of that. I will look through the old threads and give it a try. Thanks.

Look at the sticky in the "Molds...Maintenance and Design" forum

Bass Ackward
02-07-2007, 07:51 AM
When I used the spitzer, it was soft nose configuration. And I was at 2600 fps muzzle. I suppose strike was around 2400 fps. My assumption at that time was that it would perform much like a jacketed bullet of the same weight. That was correct. It did, except that I sacrificed an additional 400 fps to increase hydraulic shock that I could have gotten with a jacket.

A meplat puts in instant shock and secondary projectiles that can't be matched by a bullet that uses that same material to start expansion. Behind that you would have about 14" of air until you encountered nothing vital on the way back out. Which is a lung shot that I just described. If soft noses will perform, then a flat, soft nose at the same velocity would be more aggressive. Then I would slow it down to around 1900 fps not to inject adrenalin. But I would still consider increasing the meplat even if by some hand method.

Try filling a little flat and then wack your phone book.

fourarmed
02-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Judge, I have that mold, and have shot it in several .270 rifles and one pistol. It is very accurate. A .270 Win. with 130 Speer spitzers or Hornady interlocks and 60 grains of H4831 is as good as it gets for a long range deer rifle, but with a bullet that may not expand, I would like a bigger caliber.

I have been loading 25 gr. of Re-7 with this bullet for ringing my 200 yard gong. Does a great job.

C1PNR
02-07-2007, 11:37 PM
JudgeBAC, you haven't mentioned how fast you want to push this dude.

If you don't insist on a high velocity loading, well, it is a gas check design. So maybe you can get a little better fps out of a softer alloy, and again, maybe, use a flat point top punch for sizing.

Results "may" give you a little better meplat, with resulting "smack" on your game target.:drinks: