PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog 380

siamese4570
08-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Anybody using this boolit in their 380? Really like the looks of it. Given the 380's velocity is just barely enough to expand a hollow point I was wondering if this might be a better choice for self defence. The old penetration vs expansion argument. The fp Ranch Dog design seems to work well in rifles for hunting. If it feeds well in my LCP, I must might try it.

siamese 4570

Bret4207
08-29-2011, 08:06 AM
I like it to. I have an NEI that drops a supposed 85-90 gr Fn that works, but not as well as I think this one would.

MGySgt
08-30-2011, 10:24 AM
If you want to 'try' before buying - Carolina Bullets can sell you 100 or so to run through your LCP before buying the mould.

I always like to try before I buy a mould if I can.

URL = http://www.carolinacastbullets.com/

Give them a try - by the way he is a member here.

Drew

Bret4207
08-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Wait.......you can BUY boolits???? Somehow that seems like......cheating, or something.

MGySgt
08-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Yes Bret - you can buy boolits. If you would come off that farm a little more often you would know these things!

Semper Fi!

Drew

MtGun44
09-03-2011, 01:51 AM
You sure it's LEGAL to buy boolits?

Bill

Ranch Dog
09-04-2011, 10:44 AM
I actually shot a hog with the bullet out of a JA-380. It was this time two years ago, I was walking a deer census line and spooked a very large boar hog as I came around a clump of brush. We both stood still, then he "extend" to move toward me but I dropped low and shot him in the chest. He immediately turned and walked away, completely seemed to forget about me. I honestly thought the damned bullet had probably bounced off him and went on as there was hogs everywhere and it was getting dark.

The next day when I went to town I noticed buzzards in the location of the encounter, I pulled over and went through the set of cattle pens on that end of my place. I found him about 25 yards where I met up with him. The coyotes and buzzards had worked him over pretty good so there was no chance of looking at him. The shot was 15-yards. I've tried to duplicate the encounter a couple of times but it is always tough (and dangerous) to move in that close to a big critter.

I do look at it like this. I have had plenty of experience shooting big game at ranges where my rifle bullets have slowed down to where they have gone subsonic and yet their terminal effect on the animal is devastating. If it cast good and shoots well out of your firearm to where you have the confidence in use and carry, I think the bullet will save your life.

siamese4570
09-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the info Ranch Dog! I'll give it a try.

Siamese4570