PDA

View Full Version : 40-82 Winchester

JSH
01-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Is there anything special one should know when it comes to forming brass for this? Talking to a fellow that is having a hard time sizing his brass. I have not seen the goods yet, dies brass etc.
I can't find my Cartridges of the World book, so I don't know what the specs are. He said that he was using 45-70 brass, but from what little info I have came across I think that it is a bit short?
Like I said, have not seen anything of his equipment, nor do I know who or what brass he is using. From what he has described to me it sounds as if the chamber is some what sloppy or he is using way to much lube.
I will find out more this Sunday if I can slip over to his house and take a look.
Jeff

Boz330
01-25-2007, 09:54 AM
You are right about the 45-70 brass being to short. There is a way to stretch it but the equipment is pricey. I think the 45-70 brass is about 3/10" short.
I used 45-100 brass and ran it thru 40-65 form dies from RCBS and then my 40-82 dies (Redding). I think that it can be done with the 40-82 dies but you have to be careful and anneal the brass and do it in multiple passes.

wills
01-25-2007, 09:55 AM
http://www.stevespages.com/jpg/cd4082winchester.jpg
http://www.stevespages.com/jpg/cd4570government.jpg
http://www.stevespages.com/jpg/cd4590wcf.jpg

fourarmed
01-25-2007, 02:56 PM
If .45-90 brass would work, it is a lot cheaper (from Starline) than anything longer.

JSH
01-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks all. I was just wanting to know what I may be in for, as there are variations from todays cases as to what the original specs were.
I just couldn't figure why he would be having such problems reiszing once fired. From what he had described to me it sound a lot like to much lube, or not enough in the right place. Then on another note, the dies may fall into play here.
Thanks again. I will let you know what I find out if I can get there this Sunday.
Jeff

wills
01-25-2007, 08:57 PM
You can get the brass from bullalo arms.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm?viewfrom=61&catid=36&step=2

Buckshot
01-26-2007, 12:39 PM
................Easy to make 40-82 from 45-90. I turned all my first 100 40-65's out of R-P 45-70 using Lyman FL 40-65 dies. I believe the secret is to not try to re-form all at once. I used Imperial sizing lube but only one application, and just the bare amount to keep from forming lube crinkles.

Apply the lube via fingers to the top 1/2 of the case and run it up into the die so only the top inch or less is touched. Run'em all through then turn the die down some, and as you pick up each case swipe up the case with your fingers to pull the lube back up to the top. Then run each case through again. IIRC I think it was 4 passes through the die until the bottom of the die was touching the shellholder. Didn't lose a single case.

Actually to get them to chamber easily in my Pedersoli RB I had to turn an 1/8" off the bottom of the Lyman die to size closer to the rim.

.................Buckshot

6pt-sika
01-26-2007, 07:13 PM
I acquired an original Marlin 1895 in 40-82 about 3 weeks before Xmas . And the gun came with dies , a mould and about 200 pieces of brass .

Some of the brass was reformed Bell from 45 standerd and some was HDS brass headstamped 40-82 . Some of the brass looks good and some I'd say is past its prime .

However when I decide to try some new brass there are three options ;

1. Get the Starline 45-90 and neck it down.

2. Get some correctly headstamped and formed brass from "Quality Cartridge"

3. Get correctly headstamped and formed brass from "Jamison"

I bought Quality Cartridge brass for my 33WCF and 38-56 and both have performed admirably . However if I read correctly Jamison brass is a bit cheaper price wise . So I may give them a shot down the road [smilie=1:

Here's a connection for Quality Cartridge Brass;
www.qual-cart.com

Couldn't find a direct connection for Jamison's brass however Graf's carries it so you can try;
www.grafs.com