View Full Version : 870 sticky chamber

odfairfaxsub
08-28-2011, 07:26 PM
my dads 870 when you fire a reload through it gets sticky chamber syndrom. in the begining it was every shell that was reloaded, fire 25 fed bird shots then it was fire 2 reloads and sticky.fire 25 more federal bird loads then 6 reloads then sticky.

is there a way i can speed the whole process up than spending money on bird shot. it seems like the gun is loosening up and its accepting the idea of reloaded shells. the sizer on the mec is doing its job and its reducing the size deff, the shell goes in and out when loaded and unloaded, then you fire it then its the above process (which seems to be getting better). the shell using is a universal 8 with a 1 ounce load and 23 grains of unique.

Johnch
08-28-2011, 08:12 PM
I would bet , it isn't the gun per say

IMO it is probely the reloads
I would bet your sizer isn't sizing the "Brass" enough or the rim is to large

Take the barrel off and look/feel for a burr at the edge of the chamber
Either at the case or rim dia

What brand of reloader are you using ?

Also check the rim thickness of your reloads
To thich and the bolt can bind

If using a MEC press
Make sure you have the sizer ring set low enough

John

S.R.Custom
08-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Yup. Three words come to mind: "MEC Super Sizer." It's the only thing I know of that resizes shotgun hulls to a reliable, re-usable diameter.

nicholst55
08-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Is this an 870 Express by any chance? They have a reputation for having rough, unpolished chambers. I bought a 12 gauge chamber Flex Hone (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=647/sku=080608512/Product/SHOTGUN_BARREL_POLISHING_FLEX_HONE_reg_) from Brownells and polished all the chambers on my 870 Express barrels, which made my sticky chamber problems go away entirely.

From the sounds of things, your reloads may well be part of the problem, but a smooth chamber can't hurt anything.

tomme boy
08-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Two problems. One, the chamber is rough and it is a Remington. Two, The cases are steel headed and needs to be sized more. You need to used the collet sizer from Mec. The standard sizer does not work for some guns. I think what you need the Sizemaster.

odfairfaxsub
08-29-2011, 07:18 PM
im using a mec with the collet style sizer.

DLCTEX
08-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Polish the chamber, I use a split dowel with emery cloth and a cordless drill.

Bodydoc447
08-30-2011, 11:14 AM
You can get a cheap brake hone at NAPA or AutoZone and do the job if you are careful. I used this method on several 12 ga. chambers. Works well.

Doc

tomme boy
08-30-2011, 12:52 PM
What Mec is it?