PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 12 Info Needed

jrayborn
08-28-2011, 02:54 PM
I have had a "need" for a take-down shotgun for a few years and have pretty much decided that I am going to scour the internet for an ugly, but hopefully mechanically sound model 12 Winchester as a winter project. The take-down feature fascinates the heck out of me for some reason.

I want something I can cut down to minimum legal length, Parkerise, and possibly restock if need be, and put a new bead up front. Maybe if I completely loose my mind I'll ream and tap for choke tubes too. Kind of a retro riot I guess.

The issue I have is that an inexpensive Model 12 is difficult to come across around here so I will take advantage of my C&R license and try online. Other than any obvious issues is there anything I should look out for in a Model 12 take-down? Seems that there are lots available and prices are all over the place.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Jon

fourarmed
08-29-2011, 05:38 PM
The cheapest ones will likely be the ones with Polychokes installed. The barrels are pretty thin for choke tubes, but you might reinstall the Polychoke at the length you want.