PDA

View Full Version : A few soft lead boolits or a length of lead wire?

ggb3
08-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Hello all,
I slugged my Win 94 from the muzzle and consistantly get .309 which, seems pretty typical. Now, I would like to take a look at the throat and half inch or so of barrel. I would like to do something along the lines of the process represented at the attached link. (How to slug a rifle throat)

I have filled a fired case (from this gun) to half way up the cartridge neck with soft lead. What I do not have is a soft lead boolit that I can mash down to show the throat, a bit of barrel, etc.

With that said, I am asking the membership here, if someone would have a few boolits or, perhaps a length of lead wire that would serve this purpose and would send me. I am more than happy to send you some cash, some pure lead in ingots, make a contribution to the site, etc. Just let me know your wishes.

Also, other ideas are welcome as well. However, this process seems to give a nice representation of that area for diameters, but also for determining the best COAL, etc.

Thank you for your consideration,

George

http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_2-1_MeasuringGunDimensions.htm

Jeff H
08-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Not sure this would be long enough for you, but.......

If you cast already, pour some pure lead bullets in your .30 cal mould and lay them on a hard, smooth, flat surface, place a plate of a hard, smooth, flat material (two small steel plates being ideal) and roll-size the bullets down enough to slip down the bore.

Another idea would be to clamp two pieces of wood together and then drill a hole on the edges, centering the bit on the seam. You may even screw the boards together for convenience. Drill a hole slightly smaller than bore diameter and pour pure lead in that. You can make a 2" or 3" piece of wire like that.

The wood mould will make a better looking finish on the cast object thna you might think. My brother and I have cast a lot of sinkers in wood moulds - not exactly like what I described above, but it works very well.

ggb3
08-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks Jeff,
I had heard of the wood mould deal before, just kinda figured the hot lead would scorch the wood and leave a rough charcoal surface. I believe I will give this a shot directly.

Thanks again

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-29-2011, 05:17 PM
i have casted weights for pine wood derby cars using a wood mold it darkens the wood , it actualy makes the wood harder , remember the lead displaces the air so it can't burn