PDA

View Full Version : Hornady bullet feeder and cast boolits, can it be done?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-28-2011, 05:14 AM
I've recently been looking at the new Hornady bullet feeder designed to fit jacketed bullets and wondered what it might take to get it to work with cast boolits. Anybody figured it out what modifications it would take to get it to work?

Rolling Stone
08-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Dave,
I bought the .452 and the 44 mag bullet feeders and have had good luck with the 44 mag but not so with the .452. I understand these are supposed to be for 45acp not 45 Colt, but that shouldn't matter ( I thought). Either my 45 die insides are bad or I need to put a tremendous amount of flare on the case. I can get the 44 to work right with a minimum (normal for cast bullets) flare but not the 45. This is with jacketed bullets. My 45 bullets want to fall through, several at a time. I haven't had the opportunity to try cast bullets yet but if it won't do what I want with jacketed bullets, I'm afraid to try anything else. I'm loading other things with my Star reloaders and letting this project rest for now. There is a youtube video of a man supposedly making it feed anything. I watched but without personally trying it, it seems awful easy. You do know the powder thru expander comes with the die. I bought them individually and now have 2 of each.
RS