PDA

View Full Version : Can You Help Me I.D. This Mold

BigRix
08-27-2011, 09:53 PM
I picked this up in a lot purchase at a gun show today and I have no idea what it is.

It's marked on the handles Shiloh IV and not on the blocks. It's a two sided round ball mold totaling 4 cavities. As close as I can measure with my calipers the balls are .450. I think the handles are aluminum.

Any help you could provide would be great.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/Casting/a80bf67f.jpg

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/Casting/d6bdb0a5.jpg

Sonnypie
08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Can't help.
But MAN! That is a beaut.

I got to see an antelope taken with a mini ball in 45 Cal. Black Powder Hawken kit gun.

It worked. But not as well as a modern bullet does. :(

Maven
08-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Are the blocks Al as well? If so, I think it was made by Shiloh. Btw, when you cast with it, segregate the RB's from each of the cavities, then measure a sample of each as they may vary in diameter and/or roundness.

BigRix
08-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Blocks are steel but are unmarked. Does .450 sound like the right size? I am unfamiliar with common round ball sizes.

Maven
08-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Blocks are steel but are unmarked. Does .450 sound like the right size? I am unfamiliar with common round ball sizes.

Could it be .451", .454" or even .457" (common BP revolver sizes)? If it's iron (meehanite), it may have been made for Shlioh by Lyman.

mooman76
08-28-2011, 10:47 AM
440 or .445 actually for the 45 cal rifle.

Bent Ramrod
08-28-2011, 11:17 AM
The Shiloh company that now makes the Sharps rifles started out in New York serving the needs of the muzzleloader/re-enactor community making accessories like your bullet mould. It was called Remlin Products back then, and they needed a machinist to design the cavity system. The guy they hired was Wolfgang Droege. In order to lend the proper Civil War cachet, they came up with the name of Shiloh Products for the mould and accessories. Droege later joined the company and proposed to blueprint and reproduce the Sharps rifle, and eventually rifle production became the mainstay of the company. This history is described in more detail on Page 45 of the 2011 Shiloh Sharps catalog.

I've got one of those sets of blocks, in the original box, but haven't lucked across the aluminum handles yet. Good find!

BigRix
08-28-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't foresee myself using this beyond making some soft rounds to slug my barrels with. If I were to sell this thing, what would y'all consider a fair asking price?