PDA

View Full Version : Old Hollywood press and powder measure?

fatelk
08-27-2011, 09:16 PM
I picked up an old single stage Hollywood press this morning at a garage sale. Looks like it's sturdy as heck. I planned on using it myself, but I just checked on ebay and see one just like it recently sold for $227. Do these old presses really go for that much? Seems crazy high to me. I really can't justify keeping it for myself if I can sell it for anywhere near that.

I also picked up a neat old Hollywood powder measure and a Herters super 3 with 12 gauge shellholder and primer seater. I'll probably use the measure, but sure don't know why I lugged the old Herters press home. I wonder where I could get 12ga dies for it. The die bushing for standard die threads is gone.

He offered me some cheap gunpowder, but I declined- for any price. It was not in original cans. One can was obviously two powders mixed, the second one hissed at me when I opened it, and the third (Alcan 5) just didn't look right. I told him it would be best to use it for fertilizer.

ReloaderFred
08-27-2011, 11:49 PM
The hollywood presses go for good money, especially in good condition. I've got two of them and won't part with either of them. They're that good.

Without a picture, I'd have to guess that you've got a Hollywood Sr. press. Is yours made of cast steel or aluminum? The cast steel are more desirable. Both C-H and RCBS make an adaptor for the Hollywood that will accept standard shellholders, which really makes it easier, since you don't have to hunt up the old Hollywood shellholders.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Kevin Rohrer
08-28-2011, 02:05 AM
Here's a link showing a Senior. is this what you have?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=120306&highlight=Hollywood

fatelk
08-28-2011, 02:54 AM
Thank you! Yes, mine looks just like the one in that link. Powder measure too. I guess I did good; less than $100 for both plus the Herters. This is one smooth press. I think I'll keep it for a while at least. I'm tempted to sell it if they're worth so much, but don't really need the money right now.

Thanks for the info about that adaptor, Fred. I'll have to get one of those. Dang, I just made a Midway order yesterday, too.

Sixgun Symphony
08-28-2011, 07:07 AM
The old shellholders turn up on ebay from time to time. Keep checking in there about once a week, they will turn up sooner or later.

Kevin Rohrer
08-28-2011, 06:15 PM
The powder measure is extremely accurate. I was loading 3.1gr of Bullseye the other day and every charge was exactly 3.1gr.

With the universal shell holder adapter from CH/4D ($10.37), you can use any RCBS-type shell holder. They also sell that red, rubber grip for $2.50. Since the handle is bare metal, the rubber grip keeps you from getting oil on your hands.

fatelk
08-29-2011, 05:23 PM
With the universal shell holder adapter from CH/4D ($10.37), you can use any RCBS-type shell holder.
I just called them, and have one on the way. Seems like a great outfit to deal with; they only charged me $2 shipping. Shipping that cheap is about unheard of anymore.

Kevin Rohrer
08-29-2011, 11:12 PM
CH is located an hour or so south of me and I have been there several times to pickup orders. The owner (Dave Davison) is a standup guy who has forgotten more about reloading than I will ever know. He also knew most if not all the old hands, including Lyle Corcoran. Next time I see him I plan on asking about Phil Sharpe.

huang
01-31-2019, 12:23 AM
I picked up an old single stage Hollywood press this morning at a garage sale. Looks like it's sturdy as heck. I planned on using it myself, but I just checked on ebay and see one just like it recently sold for $227. Do these old presses really go for that much? Seems crazy high to me. I really can't justify keeping it for myself if I can sell it for anywhere near that.

I also picked up a neat old Hollywood powder measure and a Herters super 3 with 12 gauge shellholder and primer seater. I'll probably use the measure, but sure don't know why I lugged the old Herters press home. I wonder where I could get 12ga dies for it. The die bushing for standard die threads is gone.

He offered me some cheap gunpowder, but I declined- for any price. It was not in original cans. One can was obviously two powders mixed, the second one hissed at me when I opened it, and the third (Alcan 5) just didn't look right. I told him it would be best to use it for fertilizer.

Enter 2019 and I have a new to me Hollywood Turret. Nice machine, but I also have a powder drop. I need some drop tubes to go with the powder drop. Does anyone have a clue on where I can get some. Primarily 300 Win Mag, & 308 Win.

labradigger1
01-31-2019, 08:56 AM
I’ve sold 2 steel Hollywood seniors on eBay for $400. They are a stout looking press and extremely well machined. Linkage is not very strong though. I kept one for Swaging .257 bullets since I have the Hollywood swage dies for it.
They have a sort of cult following.

jaguarxk120
01-31-2019, 09:42 AM
Back in the 50's the Hollywood Universal was the only press that could handle
50BMG or any of the big British Express calibers.

Also with all the talk about turret presses what they can do, the Universal is still
king of the turrets having 12 stations, and 4 station shell holders.
Back in the day there were four types of primers and the Hollywood handles all four.

historicfirearms
01-31-2019, 08:35 PM
My Hollywood senior is one of my favorites. It doesn't have the leverage for heavy full length resizing of rifle casings but it's a joy to use for all other loading chores.

Wayne Smith
02-01-2019, 08:38 AM
Enter 2019 and I have a new to me Hollywood Turret. Nice machine, but I also have a powder drop. I need some drop tubes to go with the powder drop. Does anyone have a clue on where I can get some. Primarily 300 Win Mag, & 308 Win.
By "powder drop" do you mean a Belding and Mull Visible Powder measure? If so do a search here there are multiple posts with instructions for making one, they often turn up on eBay as well.

Kevin Rohrer
02-01-2019, 10:46 AM
Nice machine, but I also have a powder drop. I need some drop tubes to go with the powder drop. Does anyone have a clue on where I can get some. Primarily 300 Win Mag, & 308 Win.

Goto Ebay and (I think) Buffalo Arms for your drop tubes. If you post a pic of it, we can confirm what you need.

Kevin Rohrer
02-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Back in the day there were four types of primers and the Hollywood handles all four.

Two w/ squared-off (modern design) cups, and two with rounded (old style) cups.

hd09
02-03-2019, 08:03 AM
RCBS drop tubes fit a Hollywood powder measure