PDA

View Full Version : Low Tech Tool

Ben
08-27-2011, 08:23 PM
For many of us, this is nothing new. I have a young man that I'm trying to help get started reloading. He loads under my supervision or his fathers.

As you can imagine ( for those of us who can still remember what it was like to be young and broke ), starting out with reloading, he is on a VERY limited reloading budget.

He watched me using several of my powder measures, he asked what they cost, when I replied, I saw him with a somewhat dejected look on his face. $$$ that he just couldn't afford to spend right now. I told him that he needn't be concerned about buying a powder measure that I'd make him one.

I'm starting him out with the Lyman 358495 , 148 gr. wadcutter and 2.7 grs. of Red Dot in 38 Spec cases. He will fire these out of his Dad's 38 Spec. revolver ( under his Dad's supervision ).

I've made about a bazillion of these " Powder Spoons " for people through the years. Super dependable, never gets out of calibration, cheap and very functional.

Each time i throw a charge with this spoon, this is what my scale looks like :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Spoon%202%207%20Red%20Dot/013.jpg

I'm hoping he will enjoy using this scoop. For any of you that are just getting started reloading, you might want to give this a try.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Spoon%202%207%20Red%20Dot/014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Spoon%202%207%20Red%20Dot/017.jpg

This one is made from a cut down .22 Mag. empty case. A piece of # 10 ga. copper wire is soldered to the case. Works amazingly well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Spoon%202%207%20Red%20Dot/016.jpg

He can shoot some of these wadcutters with this load in his 38 Spec.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Spoon%202%207%20Red%20Dot/018.jpg

Pressman
08-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Ben, what you did was go back to the early days of relaoding. That is how we first measured powder. Back then black was the only powder in town but the scoop worked great.
I have a box full of different cartridge cases with handles soldered on that were made by someone a long time ago.

See the Lee dipper kit for the modern version of your measure.
You have thought that young man a great deal about practicality and making things work to get the job done.
Ken

Ben
08-27-2011, 10:34 PM
You have taught that young man a great deal about practicality and making things work to get the job done.
Ken

I fear that we may be one generation away for caring enough about our guns, reloading, etc to even consider fighting for the principle of such.

We really need to get young people into the shooting sports ! !

You know................if you don't consider it important, you aren't going to be very willing to fight for it, are you ?

Ben

Catshooter
08-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Very nice Ben, it's is cool and rewarding to help someone get his feet under him, isn't it.

By the way, what scale is that in your pic?

Cat

Mk42gunner
08-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Ben,

I like the way you labelled the scoop. I have one of the Lee 15 measure kits, and a bunch of homemade ones for loads that are do not fit the Lee measures.

When I find a load that I like I usually make up a dipper for it. If I am only loading a few rounds it is easier to use the dipper than to set up and adjust a powder measure for twenty or so rounds.

If I am going to load a few hundred it is a different story, but it is hard for a dipper to get out of adjustment.

Robert

Bret4207
08-28-2011, 08:08 AM
I have both the Lee sets and many ho'made scoops. Nothing wrong with that!

P.K.
08-28-2011, 08:16 AM
I have both the Lee sets and many ho'made scoops. Nothing wrong with that!

In the same boat. I have something similar to the pictured .22LR case. Mine is sodierd with a piece of coat hanger and the other end is pounded flat. Great for working loads to add and then "skim" a tenth or more away at a time. A great tool for anyone's bench.

To the OP, WTG passing it along. The young man, every time he handles powder or brass he will remember who taught him. ;-)

Ben
08-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Very nice Ben, it's is cool and rewarding to help someone get his feet under him, isn't it.

By the way, what scale is that in your pic?

Cat

The scale is an old Webster, oil dampened scale, from the 1950's.
Works amazingly well. I really like my scale.

Ben

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/WebsterScales.jpg

mtgrs737
08-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Ben,

Your post brings back memories of when I first got started reloading for my new to me ex-police 38 spl. I was a poor college kid with a girlfriend so reloading was at least third on the list of things to spend money on. My bother in law told me of a retired guy that sold reloads out of the back porch of his house. I went to see the guy and he did indeed sell 38 spl wadcutter reloads at a very attractive price. His load was 3 grs. of Red Dot which is very similar to yours. The guy also sold reloading equipment so when my thirst for reloads exceeded his output (he was extremely slow in everything he did) I took the leap and bought a Rock chucker press and used 38 spl. die set and lube pad and some of his home cast 38 spl wadcutter boolits. He made me a scoop from a Lee plastic one and adjusted it to throw a 3 grain load by pressing a heavy paper disc in the bottom of the scoop. I was now in business to reload for mayself as he was just too slow at producing the ammo I wanted. Well before very long I had run him dry of 38 wadcutter cast boolits! (do you see a pattern here?) so he sold me a Lyman wadcutter mould, a Lee bullet caster 4 lb. pot, a Lyman dipper, and a Lyman 450 lubersizer. You might say over the period of a year he eased me into the reloading and casting hobby that I have enjoyed for 40 years. I still have the equpment, and the girlfriend (which I married many years ago) and three kids to go along her. It all started with a retired guy, a used 38 s&w, some good quality reloading and casting gear and 3 grains of Red Dot.

Sonnypie
08-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Ya know, you look to be just a thin red hair heavy there, Ben. [smilie=1:
My guess would be about 1/100th of a grain. :roll:

Just kidding...
Just... kidding....:mrgreen:

God Bless you for being patient and helpful passing along the affliction.
You probably already have, but explain that a power measure is really only a souped up dipper anyway, that is adjustable so it throws about the same amount each time.
It's more just a fancier way to do the same thing.

Incidentally, there is a dipper by my Lyman 505 scale very similar to what you made. I use it to sprinkle adjust what is in the pan, if necessary.
My Dad had a Redding oil damped scale back in the 1960's when we started reloading. My recollection was '62-'64 when we began sneekin out to the back of the shop for hours at a time.
Those are memories a man of any age never forgets. :grin:
I think one of the Nephew's must have got a hold of Dad's scale. :roll:

Ben
08-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Sometimes, going back to " the old ways " is just FUN !
Let alone the memories that are brought back in your mind that are 40 + yrs old in a lot of cases.

Ben

Catshooter
08-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Webster! Who knew? That's a very cool looking scale.

A new toy, a new toy!

Cat

geargnasher
08-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Ben, when I first went to college I lived in a travel trailer and did all my casting on the propane stove. Not having room or money for a good scale, I snuck (sneaked?) a handfull of cartridge cases and an old asprin bottle full of Bullseye into the lab and 'borrowed' the lab scales to mark different amounts of the powder. After filing them down to the marks, I re-verified the next week and had a set of three charges for my K38. After picking the one that worked the best, I took a short scrap piece of 12-gauge romex repurposed from a construction site dumpster and used the ground wire for a handle, wrapped in a ? shape around the extractor groove and soldered into place. Worked great, and I still have it somewhere. Can't remember now what I used for a handle, might have been a scrap of wood.

Gear

Ben
08-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Gear

We've all made home made tools that work just fine. I've always thought the best reloaders were the best " tinkerer's".

Ben

41 mag fan
08-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Just this past Sunday I had a friend of my wife come over with her 16 yr old son.
The boy wanted to shoot, his mom had bought a 9mm. I said sure bring him over.
Instant liking to the boy I took. Very thoughtful and with manners. (very unusual these days to see)

Before it was all said and done I had several guns and loads out to let him shoot.
He kept mentioning how he'd like to learn to reload.
Told him the prices I'd paid for the guns and what it cost to reload and I seen the look in his face also at the prices.
Told him now that he'd shot up several hundred loads I had to replenish my stock, that I was going to need some help getting them reloaded.
The look on his face was payment in kind when he realized I was going to start showing him how to reload.

For a boy who never had a father, (father deserted family when he was born) he was a very good boy and instantly liked by me.

What james don't realize but I do, I just influenced the next generation to guns, reloading and the shooting industry.

Catshooter
08-30-2011, 04:19 PM
And very high on the personal satisfaction side, isn't it 41magfan?

Good on you.

Welcome to the site by the way.

Cat

41 mag fan
08-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Thank You Cat,

Yes it's a personal satisfaction that money can't buy. We need more kids to get into the shooting and hunting and fishing. Keeps kids out of trouble and instills a respect in a person. Our society is losing these traditions all to quick.

Ben
08-31-2011, 03:05 PM
41 mag fan :

I figure that God just put another jewel in your crown.
That is what it is all about ! !

Ben

Wayne Smith
08-31-2011, 03:59 PM
41Magfan, you don't tell us where you are, but from your sentence construction I would guess either Germany or of German language origin? Welcome and congratulations introducing another to the addiction!

xbeeman412
08-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Ben, I try to work with the Grandson showing him reloading and shooting but its hard when

His father doesent see the value in it (they live 65 miles away) and having him here is hard.

I love working with kids of all ages,12-99 that want to learn shooting or reloading.

Ben
08-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Amen Charlie,

Maybe that is why I like helping a kid, ......I guess I'm just a kid myself. ( A 62 yr. old kid )

Ben

xbeeman412
08-31-2011, 05:22 PM
I am just a 68 year old kid..young at heart!!

barrabruce
08-31-2011, 06:20 PM
A bloke at the range was watching me breach seat some paper patch shootzen style in me 30-30.
For a load trials and patch testing.

When he saws this simple powder measure he reckons it was the ducks nuts.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=413&pictureid=4216

:shock: Thought it was pretty well rural :veryconfu

Iv'e been looking for a small blackpowder one with the funnel on the end which would make life easier.

Note I still weight the carge if I'm up in the max pressure areas thou.

Barra

taminsong
09-01-2011, 04:53 AM
41 mag fan,

You're lucky that you find an eager boy to mentor on!

My cousins sometimes worked for me, helping me in my reloading room and I've been trying to influence them about bullet casting and reloading, but it seems they only want the money!

Sometimes some army friends visit me and I always brings them to my reloading room and try to influence them to reload their own ammo, but I can't see any eagerness on them! They always reasons out that reloading requires a detailed attention and they're worried they might cause an accident or mishaps, etc, etc, etc!

I just wish my only son will like my hobby, though his toys are all guns, he's 4yrs this December, and I wish he's 8 now so that I can took him hunting my favorite spots!

41 mag fan
09-01-2011, 09:42 AM
41 mag fan :

I figure that God just put another jewel in your crown.
That is what it is all about ! !

Ben

Maybe not another jewel, but maybe God got out his big book and looked down my page and said .....well for that act that will cancel out this page of sins!! Only a few thousand pages to go and I can start out with a clean slate again!!

41Magfan, you don't tell us where you are, but from your sentence construction I would guess either Germany or of German language origin? Welcome and congratulations introducing another to the addiction!

Wayne,
Well you're close but way off at the same time. Born and raised in Illinois and live in S. Indiana now,
but.......as I tell everyone who'd inquire, I'm a cornfed, bible thumping 1/2 German, 1/2 Irish, who likes his beer with a temper!!

41 mag fan,

You're lucky that you find an eager boy to mentor on!

My cousins sometimes worked for me, helping me in my reloading room and I've been trying to influence them about bullet casting and reloading, but it seems they only want the money!

Sometimes some army friends visit me and I always brings them to my reloading room and try to influence them to reload their own ammo, but I can't see any eagerness on them! They always reasons out that reloading requires a detailed attention and they're worried they might cause an accident or mishaps, etc, etc, etc!

I just wish my only son will like my hobby, though his toys are all guns, he's 4yrs this December, and I wish he's 8 now so that I can took him hunting my favorite spots!

My boy is 19 now. He's into the same as me, but he's got the girls girls girls on his mind right now. Occasionally he takes a few minutes and shows up in the shop to spend a few minutes with me.
But, as of today ,he'll be starting on my shift in the coal mines (he dont realize I'll be his boss underground now!!), he's got the making damn good money idea, it's AR buying time bug.
But he keeps saying he's going to buy me a new Dillon also.

My kids was raised around everything I hold dear in the shooting, hunting and fishing areas. I still say thats why neither of my kids do drugs, drink or smoke, and have never been in trouble with the law.
People around here, hear me say it all the time....expose a child to the outdoors and that child will be less likely to do drugs or get into trouble with the law when they go from teenager into adulthood.

Now I've got James started, he's 16 and hopefully my addiction will continue thru him long after I'm gone. By how he was out here Sunday, I'd say he's on a good road.

taminsong
09-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I agree with that!

When you say "hopefully my addiction will continue thru him long after I'm gone" actually I've been thinking about that for a couple of nights now! It also comes to mind to post a thread about this idea.

Lets say that we saved a lot, sometimes go broke just to have the equipment (bullet casting, reloading, etc) we want. But what will happen after we're gone? I've read a lot of garage, estate sales, now, I don't want to happen that. Question is, how can we prevent that?

Maybe somebody can make a poll?

Mods, if I'm out of topic, its ok to delete my post.

Ben
09-02-2011, 10:38 AM
taminsong

What is it that you want this poll to do ?

I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out what you're saying here ?

taminsong
09-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Lets just say this is the situation:
1. you love guns, hunting, reloading, bullet casting, outdoors, etc.
2. you got children or no children
3. and God says you will be dead in a couple of years.

Now, what will you do so that all the equipment that you loved won't end up in garage or estate sales?

Ben
09-02-2011, 11:54 PM
taminsong

We all need a will, we also need to leave clear instructions to our loved ones as to WHO to trust and who NOT to trust when it comes to the sale of our guns, reloading, etc.( It is amazing the " vultures " that can circle a home at a death , waiting to rob a widow who may not be knowledgeable about the sale of firearms and firearm values. It is possible that she won't have access to a loyal and faithful friend who can offer sound guidance.) All of this needs to be addressed IN ADVANCE of your death !

I have an electronic copy of all firearms and firearm related items with photos and prices in 3 locations that my closest friends know about. ( it is easy to put this information on a CD )

If you've got a friend, relative, or family member that you want to get a specific firearm, that would go into these instructions.

09-03-2011, 12:09 AM
At this spring's gathering(next is Oct) I put on a reloading hands on demo. The kids loved it and loaded lots of ammo. We took it and them to the range the next day and they loved shooting thier rounds. They just could not believe they were shooting things they had made. Some kept a casing as a momento of their first reloading. Hoping many from here will come--welcome mat is out, light is on, and a warm welcome awaiting. 7-8-9 Oct. at 4-H Camp Millstone near Rockingham, NC.

taminsong
09-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Ben,

I agree, and I forgot about the will.

I've seen it happens a lot of times, first to a friend who was ambushed, sudden death and his guns were taken by his relatives and later on when the wife were looking for it, nobody will say they got it. Second, a heart attack, died suddenly and 2 beautiful 30M1 carbine, sold by his son who doesn't gave any s***t about the history of the gun, for a very low price! Buyer is so lucky!

StrawHat
09-06-2011, 06:54 AM
As I approach my end, (don't get excited, I don't plan to go for another 3 or 4 decades), I hope to learn from those of my acquaintances who have gone before me. First is written instructions to those who will handle my affairs as to how I want things distributed. Next is to give to those I want, the things I want them to have, while I am still alive. This to me makes the most sense as then, I get to help them learn (if they need it) or watch them enjoy what they have received. While it is comforting to be surrounded by all the "stuff" one has accumulated, there is also a good feeling of having the items handed off to others who will cherish them.

Ben
09-06-2011, 08:41 AM
StrawHat

Sound advice you've offered , & very well spoken ! !

Ben

jakharath
09-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Great posts guys. I'm going to do my best to pass down what I've learned to my 9 week old.

MikeS
09-09-2011, 09:21 PM
When my father died a few years ago he had quite a large collection of handguns and rifles. It had been understood for a long time that a friend of ours (both my father's, and mine) would buy the majority of the collection, other than the few that I wanted. It really is amazing how the vultures come out! One of my father's 'friends' owns a gun shop here in FL, and when we asked him how much he would charge to handle the transfer of the handguns, he said "35.00 per gun" which is $10.00 more per gun than the going rate! I can only assume he was upset that he didn't get a chance to buy any of the collection, as we found another gun dealer that didn't even know us to transfer the guns for $25.00 for the first gun, $5.00 each for any additional guns, and there was about 85 or so handguns in the collection. Another 'friend' had always wanted a particular gun my father had (a Manlicher-Shoenaor, I know I spelled it wrong, sorry) and amazingly after the funeral, and having folks back to the house afterward, that one rifle was nowhere to be found! It was locked in a cabinet in a locked room, however my father was never too secretive about where the keys were with his friends!

What my daughter does with my guns and reloading equipment after I die is of no concern to me. I don't buy equipment based on what value it will have after I die, but rather what value it will have to me while I'm able to use it. She's interested in shooting to a degree, and shoots my reloads out of her 44 Special revolver, so there's a chance yet that I might interest her in getting involved with reloading, so she might end up keeping my stuff, or she'll sell it, either way she'll enjoy it.

hiram1
09-17-2011, 10:23 PM
yes show a kid how to reload thay will have to fight gun control.in the coming years

largom
09-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Going rate for transfer in my area is $15.00 however, some do charge $20-25.00

Larry

williamwaco
09-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Ben.

Thanks for that. Just reading your post made me feel like a teenager.

That exact Webster scale was in my first purchase, along with an old C&H C type press.

The press was so old and so used that the ram wobbled and the linkage pin was worn out and replaced by a stove bolt. Since the bolt was not hardened, the hardened linkage parts chewed it up so bad it had to be replaced about every 1000 rounds.

I made dozens of powder dippers. I didn't have the tools to solder a handle so I used a solid heavy gauge copper wire and wrapped it around the extractor groove in the empty shell casing. Twisted in the other end of the wire into a small circle for a finger hold.

My mentor made me test weights for each powder charge I was "allowed" to charge. These were made from small copper plates he cut to rough size then filed to exact weight and stamped with the weight eg. 3.5gr.

For the .38 special, for example, I had a scoop for 3.5 grains Bullseye and a 3.5 gr test weight. I was to set the scale to 3.5 grains then pop in the test weight. If it zeroed the scale. I would then scoop powder, scrape it off even with the top of the scoop and pour it into the pan and trickle it if necessary to zero the charge. He made me do this for over a year before he would let me have a powder measure. I had the money saved up to pay for a Lyman 55 six months before he would let me buy it.

To this day, I still weigh each and every powder charge for rifle loads. ( not for pistol however )

LUBEDUDE
09-26-2011, 01:48 AM
Ben that is so awesome that you are giving back!

I started in college with the ol Lee Hammer and punch Dies.

Now I have 2 - 1050's, a 550, a Spolar Gold, a PW 800, a Mec, 3 Stars, 2 single stages and more to come.

Thor's Daddy
09-29-2011, 10:19 PM
...While it is comforting to be surrounded by all the "stuff" one has accumulated, there is also a good feeling of having the items handed off to others who will cherish them...

From one who has recently been on the receiving end of some of the accumulated "stuff", I only hope I can do right by my father with the tools he has given me.

While we were visiting my folks this summer my dad said I could have any of his reloading gear that I might find useful (money's tight, I figured I'd start with a Lee Loader). So we pretty much stripped his entire bench.

Now I'm in the process of reviving all of it as it's been nearly 15 years since he's reloaded. It feels so good. Earlier this week it was the Herters press. Now I'm knee deep into getting the Herter's powder measure back into shape.

That being said, I've been collecting random brass at the range just in case I can't get it to throw consistently and I need to make some scoops. I simply don't have the cash for new gear.

Ben
09-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Thor's Daddy

I need to make some scoops. I simply don't have the cash for new gear.

Those scoops will allow you to load some very accurate ammo. Keep us posted on your progress.

Good Shooting,
Ben

1hole
09-30-2011, 08:11 PM
I casually know a 12 year old boy who's parents recently divorced. He lives with his indoorsman/businessman father, one of my daughters is his secretary. She just told me the boy recently told her he wants to learn 'man stuff', including guns and shooting. She told him that her father has all kinds of guns, a private range, reloads ammo and would be happy to help him learn all about it. (And he wants to SCUBA dive too, I used to be an instructor for that) She is right I would be happy to work with him; I liked the kid the little bit I've been around him and to have an opportunity to work with him will be delightful! BAD thing is the kid lives almost three hours away and that's gonna make it somewhat difficult but we'll work out something.

Ben
09-30-2011, 09:38 PM
1hole

Where there is a will , there is a way...............

Sometimes a little bit of input can generate a lot of output.

Helping a kid like that is a very honorable thing.

Bullet Caster
11-17-2011, 08:50 PM
I pretty much agree with all you gents...kids need to learn firearm safety first, everything else in order. I don't have any kids, but a nephew that is interested in the shooting sports. When he was very young (about 8 years old) I began to teach him about gun safety. Now whenever I hand him a pistol or rifle, the first thing he does is check the chamber. Whenever he tells his friends about what I taught him, I beam with pride. He's over 30 now and he's still interested in the shooting sports. BC

mdi
11-19-2011, 01:25 PM
It's great that you taught a new reloader that he didn't need a $$$ super-duper, all the bells and whistles, electronic scale to make good reloads. I read about so many new reloaders wanting/"needing" a $300.00+ kit with everything imaginable in it, when I started with a Lee Loader, a hammer, a small screw driver for scraping primer pockets, a 4"x4"x24" for a pounding surface, and a dull drill for deburring. That "kit" kept me in ammo (.38 Spec. shooting generic lead SWC) for several months before I could save up for a Lee Hand Press and dies. I have a bunch of homemade powder scoops and on occation use my Lee Loaders when I don't feel like getting out and setting my powder measure and presses...

jcwit
11-19-2011, 03:38 PM
It's great that you taught a new reloader that he didn't need a $$$ super-duper, all the bells and whistles, electronic scale to make good reloads. I read about so many new reloaders wanting/"needing" a $300.00+ kit with everything imaginable in it, when I started with a Lee Loader, a hammer, a small screw driver for scraping primer pockets, a 4"x4"x24" for a pounding surface, and a dull drill for deburring. That "kit" kept me in ammo (.38 Spec. shooting generic lead SWC) for several months before I could save up for a Lee Hand Press and dies. I have a bunch of homemade powder scoops and on occation use my Lee Loaders when I don't feel like getting out and setting my powder measure and presses...

Just got a new scale last week from E-Bay, $7.00 for the scale and $3.00 S & H, Yes its accurate.

Ya, I also use my Lee Loaders frequently, even after 50/60 years of reloading I still enjoy them, brings back pleasent memories.