PDA

View Full Version : Custom Ruger SA options

bearcove
08-27-2011, 06:45 PM
I have a few Rugers and have thoughts of doing some work on them. Things like redoing my 41 Mag I inherited from an uncle into a 45 Colt. A single six given to me by my dad's good friend from 22 to 32 H&R.

But the question is ....:popcorn:

How many frame sizes are there and what are they able to be converted to in a 5 or 6 shot?

Nueces
08-27-2011, 07:04 PM
I can think of 4 Ruger SA frame sizes: Bearcat, Single Six, original 357 3-screw and modern equivalents, and the large frame SBH and cousins. The stretched 357 Maximum would make five.

Take a look at http://bowenclassicarms.com/

Remember to open your mouth when you access the site, so the overpressure don't blow out yer ears. :mrgreen:

Mark

dougader
08-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Ruger has 4 different frame sizes. (1) single six, (2) old model 357 Blackhawk, New Vaqueros, and 357 Anniversary Model and 44 Special Flat Tops, (3) New model Blackhawks in 357 mag, 41 mag, 44 mag and the original Vaquero, (4) the discontinued 357 Maximum frame.

You can have your 41 mag converted into a real tight spec 45 Colt by any number of good gunsmiths: Alan Harton, Hamilton Bowen, John Linebaugh, Gallagher, Jack Huntington, Andy Horvath, Stroh, etc. You can go with a 6 shot 45 and load up to 30k psi. Or you can have it done up in a 5 shot model that can chuck 350 grain bullets to about 1400 fps; right on the heels of a 454 Casull.

The only thing is, how old is this 41 mag? If its a nice old model aka 3 screw model it might have some real collector value to it.

On the single Six, some smiths won't do conversions from rim fire to center fire. It would be cheaper to buy a Single Six in 32 HRM. Now if you want to do a conversion on a single six, you might as well make it a 5 shot 38 special, or in the case of an old model single six, a 5 shot 41 special.

I know Alan Harton does 41 Specials on old model single sixes (22 LR), and maybe Gallagher too, or David Clements???

I forgot about the little Bearcat. These have been converted to 32 H&R mag.

bearcove
08-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Naw, a 2 screw SN# 41-14xxx on the 41 mag nothing special. But it is something I'll keep and pass down to the kids because it has family history. This is my only 41cal.

I am cutting back on the # of calibre I cast and load for. It was getting out of hand. Had one or two of all of them.

bearcove
08-27-2011, 07:38 PM
I can think of 4 Ruger SA frame sizes: Bearcat, Single Six, original 357 3-screw and modern equivalents, and the large frame SBH and cousins. The stretched 357 Maximum would make five.

Take a look at http://bowenclassicarms.com/

Remember to open your mouth when you access the site, so the overpressure don't blow out yer ears. :mrgreen:

Mark

Mark,

I try not to go to sites like that. If I hit the lottery I guess I can change that.

Rod