PDA

View Full Version : How to store barrels

gsdelong
08-27-2011, 05:03 PM
I have accumulated a substantial number of Contender and Encore barrels and have been looking for a good way to store them.

Currently using a combination of gun socks, boxes, and safe shelf.

I have talked the wife into cutting some 52" rifle socks in two and sewing the string on one end and closing the "toes of the other.

I was wondering what ways everybody else is storing their "collections"

Greg

Jack Stanley
08-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I'd think that if you have a safe to keep them in you could use your woodworking talents and make a "cradle" type rack that would keep them in order on the shelf . This would keep them upright , side-by-side and you could even scribe the chambering under the barrel on the wood . For the safe I think it's better than storing in any "gun case" and taking the chance of inviting rust to the party .

Maybe moisture isn't so bad where you are but I've seen guns that were left in cases for a time ....... let's just say they were no longer ninety-eight percent nice .

Jack

HangFireW8
08-27-2011, 08:56 PM
The answer depends on where you live (climate) and how your house air is conditioned.

Gun socks decrease scratching and increase moisture held against the barrel. OK in dry climates or in indoor safes with a goldenrod or always-on light and some dessicant.

gsdelong
08-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Might have to buy a second safe :)

Calamity Jake
08-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Just about any good silicone lube will stop rust. Or a good coat of JPW.

Artful
08-30-2011, 12:29 AM
well for contender pistol barrel I have a plano plastic case like this
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/1020-680-ffffff/opplanet-plano-moulding-plano-four-pistol-case-w-thick-wall-construction-76061.jpg
http://www.opticsplanet.net/plano-moulding-plano-four-pistol-case-w-thick-wall-construction-76061.html#
has two levels - just holds the 14" barrels
Dimensions: 16.75" x 6" x 14.5"

Rifle length barrels I store in the safe corners but I don't have many that long

DragoonDrake
08-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Artful I do the same thing. I put my barrels in old clean socks that have a little bit of spray on rem oil on the sock itself and I store them in three of those plano cases.

Adam

zuke
08-31-2011, 08:58 AM
What about a locking filing cabinet and wine rack type racking to sit them in/on?
I know there's the BIG cabinet's that have a big front door you lift and it slide's in then you can slide out that shelf.
To me that would be the cat's ***!

tacklebury
08-31-2011, 10:35 PM
Take a 2x4 , drill several 1/4" holes about 1.5" apart. Make sure the 2x4 will fit inside your safe. Then take 3/8" hardwood dowels and push them into the holes. Finally make another 2x4 the same size as the first and drill the same hole pattern, but use 5/16" holes. Coat all the wood with a silicone sealer, like the type for protecting leather. Slip your encore barrels over the wood shafts and then push the 2nd 2x4 on top and stand it in the rear of your safe. Should be able to fit a bunch of them and keep them from banging around. ;) If you have any sub-6.5mm barrels, just make a few that use 3/16" dowel, but it isn't as strong.

Four Fingers of Death
09-01-2011, 04:18 AM
Send the surplus barrels to me, problem solved!

missionary5155
09-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Greetings
Depends on storage time for me. Long term gets motor oiled wrapped in wax paper placed in the "Coffin". Short term gets hung on tape wrapped finish nails in the ready firearms storage area. Mike in Peru

gsdelong
09-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Thank you for all the input.

I was wondering if the Plano cases are long enough to hold scoped 15" Encore Barrels?

Right now I am leaning towards something like a pool cure rack or some type of chest with shallow drawers with half circle cut outs on two end pieces to cradle the rifle barrels.

I guess I am also trying to get my head around if a Barrel needs to be stored with the same security as a complete firearm?

The ideas are helping though

badbob454
09-06-2011, 02:02 AM
how about a 5 gallon plastic bucket filled with oil, if you have a lot of barrels or a pvc pipe oil treat and seal it up with end caps , may sound crazy but will remove the air = no rust , or heat up some crisco dip the barrel and wrap it up in newspaper , will seal it up like cosmoline .. just throwing out different ideas

Wildwood-Lake
09-06-2011, 07:58 AM
This barrel sleeve is nice. Here's the link.

https://secure.tcarms.com/store/tc-pistol-barrel-sleeve-no-7489.html

gsdelong
09-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Sleeve looks nice but it does not mention scopes as fitting.

Also I have from 10, 12, 15, 16, 22, 24 and some other odd length barrels.

Greg

camotruck
10-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Take a 2x4 , drill several 1/4" holes about 1.5" apart. Make sure the 2x4 will fit inside your safe. Then take 3/8" hardwood dowels and push them into the holes. Finally make another 2x4 the same size as the first and drill the same hole pattern, but use 5/16" holes. Coat all the wood with a silicone sealer, like the type for protecting leather. Slip your encore barrels over the wood shafts and then push the 2nd 2x4 on top and stand it in the rear of your safe. Should be able to fit a bunch of them and keep them from banging around. ;) If you have any sub-6.5mm barrels, just make a few that use 3/16" dowel, but it isn't as strong.

I use a variation of this idea. 2x4 w 5/16 hardwood dowles nailed to a wall. Next 2x4 below that 15 inches with 1/4 in dowles. I hang BBL w/ scope on the top dowel aand the lower dowel keeps them hanging straight ao they dont swing into each other.

Four Fingers of Death
10-29-2011, 10:35 PM
For stuff I want to store for awhiles, I lay brown paper down and massage Outer's Gun grease into it, then wrap it. I usually store iron moulds this way.

quilbilly
10-29-2011, 11:33 PM
I also recommend a light coat of silicone lubricant such as that used on fishing reels (ie. Garcia Silcote Reel Lube). I once had a muzzleloader stolen from my truck in the field and later got it back from the county sheriffs. Apparently whoever stole it realized it was a muzzleloader so tossed it in the river. A year later when I got it back, everything coated with the Silicone Reel Lube looked as if it had never touched water. It was amazing. Of course the rest of the Hawken was junk.

leadman
10-29-2011, 11:48 PM
You just need more frames to store the barrels on!

Four Fingers of Death
10-30-2011, 02:15 AM
I also recommend a light coat of silicone lubricant such as that used on fishing reels (ie. Garcia Silcote Reel Lube). I once had a muzzleloader stolen from my truck in the field and later got it back from the county sheriffs. Apparently whoever stole it realized it was a muzzleloader so tossed it in the river. A year later when I got it back, everything coated with the Silicone Reel Lube looked as if it had never touched water. It was amazing. Of course the rest of the Hawken was junk.

That stuff sounds good!

gsdelong
08-25-2012, 03:54 PM
After looking at all type of options including PVC pipe, Plastic guttering, Blue Print Cabinets and others

I think I have decided on building a wooden cabinet with "pidgin holes" similar to mailboxes. I was thinking of building this out of pine and storing each barrel in a slot inside a silicon impregnated gun sock.

This would allow for the construction of rectangular shaped storage holes for space efficiency for barrels with scopes mounted.

I am thinking I will need at least two different styles one with holes the appropriate depth for pistol length and another with Rifle length holes.

Does anybody see a problem with this method?

Artful
08-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Is winter in Southern Indiana like it was in Oregon - cool and wet - in which case I'd look into a way to put a golden rod or light bulb in the base of your cabinet.

MtGun44
08-30-2012, 11:48 PM
I think a bandolier would look pretty cool. :kidding:

Bill

gsdelong
09-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Does anybody know about which woods do and do not work for storing guns? I think I have read that most nut woods are bad? Any thoughts?

Whiterabbit
09-06-2012, 02:26 AM
here is what I ended up doing:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,151873.msg1099557333.html#msg1099557333

Stores 4 barrels very nicely.