PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Cuff shell holder for single shot shooters

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Afternoon folks,

I realise that a bunch of you may use the butt stock shell holders, but for those of you who don't for whatever reason, I'll gladly share images of my wrist cuff shell holder.

Sorry, but I haven't figured out how to get images posted to the forums, but finally and recently got the pooter to again send images to personal "E" address.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM with your personal "E" address and I'll be glad to send the images.

I am shooting a RUGER #1s 45/70, and because of the type of rifle sling I use, the straps of the sling must be free to slide off the butt when the rifle is mounted to the shoulder. Therefore, the butt stock shell holder does not work well.

My cuff hold 3 - 45/70 cartridges, but could be sized to any cartridge during the construction process.

This is my second version and therefore improved over the first, so at this point, it seems more usable then the holder I used/made last year.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Maven
08-27-2011, 06:32 PM
CDOC, Darned clever idea that wrist cuff!

Ben
08-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Here are the photos :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/0102.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/00841.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/0072.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/0062.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/00521.jpg

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks a bunch Ben, good job of posting.

I'll just add that the set up was made in two pieces, first the shell holder then the strap part.

When making the shell holder, made the shell slots really really tight, then hot water soak and force the loaded 45/70s into the slots before allowing to dry.

I really had to force, hard!!!!! the loaded rounds into the slots, so this needs to be really well stiched.

The first one I made, the cartridges were quite loose, so this one is not only tighter, but the slots are deeper.

Then make the strap and sew the two parts together, after which soak the strap part so you can get that part formed where the extra strap goes under the shell holder.

After everything was together and dried, I stained it black and then greased it with Hubbards boot grease to protect the leather from the snow & rain.

The first version was secured with snaps on the body side of the cuff.

It was hard to get it tight and then snap the snaps with one hand, so this one with the buckle seems much better.

Note the buckle is away from the body. Don't want to scratch up a nice stock!

The strap seems a bit long now, but once coats, sweat shirts and longies are added it should be about right.

Again, Thanks Ben!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

no34570
08-29-2011, 06:47 PM
I like that,a bloody good idea that one,good on ya mate!

nicholst55
08-29-2011, 06:53 PM
IIRC, the professional hunters of days gone by used to hold up to three spare cartridges between the fingers of the support hand when a quick reload was called for. You can grab one round very quickly that way. It doesn't work well if you're stalking game or walking a great distance, but once you're set up and ready to shoot it's very handy!

bearcove
08-29-2011, 07:35 PM
I used to do that hunting with a contender. Just one in the hand one either side of middle finger. Worked great with smaller cases like 7tcu or 30-30.

uncle jed
08-29-2011, 10:52 PM
That's a real slick setup. Keep the ideas coming.

Four Fingers of Death
09-01-2011, 06:40 AM
IIRC, the professional hunters of days gone by used to hold up to three spare cartridges between the fingers of the support hand when a quick reload was called for. You can grab one round very quickly that way. It doesn't work well if you're stalking game or walking a great distance, but once you're set up and ready to shoot it's very handy!

Thats what I always did when hunting with a Ruger No1. I also used to hold one in the sling where the leather folded over the sling swivel. It stayed there all day (make sure you clean it well if you don't use it to avoid corrosion). I would carry spare rounds in my pocket and when I sighted game, I would reach in, grab a few and hold them between my fingers on my wealk (left) hand, I have a full quota of fingers on that side, :D. Worked well. I was culling goats once and got nine shots away, killing eight goats. My friend have a bolt gun and only managed to get five shots away. Practice tells.

Seemed to work ok while I was stalking.

Aunegl
09-01-2011, 03:57 PM
I've used a tennis wristband when hunting. Just slip two rounds between the wristband and inside wrist.

Four Fingers of Death
09-02-2011, 06:21 AM
I forgot to mention I have not yet perfected the technique, but I have been using some cowboy shooting methods when shooting the Encore with the 17Ackley Hornet Bbl. I break the gun and give it a flick to get rid of the fired case and drop my hand down to pick up a new round off my belt As I feed the round in, I put my right thumb on the hammer and as soon as it closes, I cock the hammer. This saves me fiddling around trying to get my thumb in under the hammmer. I haven't got it quiet right yet, but it shows promise. Seems to work well enough, probably wouldn't work with the rimless cases. It is one of the things keeping me out of mischief at the moment :)