PDA

View Full Version : Underwood M1 carbine

parrott1969
08-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Can anyone tell me what the value of an Underwood carbine in NRA Good conditon is worth?

jimb16
08-27-2011, 04:33 PM
That depends on a number of things. Is it import marked? Is it as manufactured or rebuilt by the military? Original finish or reparked? It could be anywhere from $450 up to $1500.

square butte
08-27-2011, 04:37 PM
I bought mine a couple of years ago for $600. Turns out to be worth quite a bit more because it has a Singer receiver. Barrel is a 43 Underwood -excellent bore. Really it depends on what you have for component parts and their condition. Quite a few variables when you get right down to it. Some others here will be much more knowledgable regarding the details.

leadman
08-27-2011, 04:40 PM
You might go to the forum on the CMP website and browse in the for sale section to get some info on prices.

mac1911
08-28-2011, 12:53 AM
all over the charts, but it seems all US M1s are no less than 600.00 unless in poor shape.

parrott1969
08-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I know virtually nothing about this gun other than my brother in law purchased it in 1960. The finish is easily 90% but it does have two small spots of rust about the size of a pencil lead. How do you tell is one has been arsenal refinished?

baker1425
09-13-2011, 09:53 PM
If he bought it in the 1960s, it would be worthwhile to have him check for NRA/DCM paperwork which is supposed to really increase value.

The Craig Riesch Carbine book is a great resource. There's all kinds of variations, arsenal reworks, parts swaps, etc that really impact value. Most of them are reparks, as most of them went through refurbishing either in Allied or other arsenals. The rule of thumb that I learned is that if it's not got a cheap looking "L" flip sight, it's been reworked.

I think that the $600 is a good starting point, FWIW.

ilcop22
09-14-2011, 12:11 AM
May sound like a broken record, but $600 is your bare minimum price point for a good condition m1 carbine. Goes up to around $1600 from there. You can probably fetch a bit more in this market since the Obamanation has blocked further importation of surplus M1s and the market is drying up. First thing you should do is remove the rust and inspect the firearm for anymore contamination, especially the bore. Then find out what you can about the origin.

Combat Diver
09-14-2011, 01:48 AM
I bought a rack grade Underwood from CMP last summer. It was one of the Bavarian/Austrian returns. (German serial numbers and Austrian markings) Paid $495 for it.

CD

Pavogrande
09-14-2011, 02:45 AM
If I remember correctly, my circa 1960 carbine from the DCM was about $21 to the door -

kywoodwrkr
09-19-2011, 03:47 PM
To determine a relative value for the cabine in question, you would have to take it completely down and investigate every piece on it.
During the war many of the manufacturers would cross supply each other and there were companies who made only components. These components were then correct for various rifles, Winchester, IBM, Inland, Rock-ola,Underwood, Saginaw and etc etc.
Many time the cross supply was only correct for a select serial number range however.
The book mentioned above is one of about three which will detail each variation of each manufacturer. War Baby(Later War Baby comes Home), author is Ruth, is one of the three and is another very good book.
In 2006 I bought($265) an Underwood DCM from a friend, complete with paperwork from the CMP and the REA who shipped it in early 60's.
I later sold it.(for + $)
Just as the Japanese rifles have a 'series' attached to them, the carbine has a similar designation, which quite candidly escapes me right now.(CRS)
for instance, original carbines did not have bayonet lugs, later versions did. Each manufacturer had an assigned range of serial numbers also.
After you dissect the carbine, you may find you have a very expensive part, like a dog leg hammer versus later version. Parts have marks on them to assist in identification.
My books were destroyed or I'd offer to help you exam the rifle.
Now I have to go home and see if I can find my only M1 carbine still in my possession!:veryconfu
Good luck