PDA

View Full Version : First attempt

Wayne Smith
08-27-2011, 01:47 PM
I figured out how to use the Herter's .44 set with some core lead cut and Hornady half jackets. This set-up has the nose punch in the shell holder. The bullet is thus made upside down, with the nose on the ram. The box I got only had a few pieces of lead cut. I need to find a mold that will work for cores and get an old Lee to drill out. Obviously I am a complete novice at this!

My bullets tended to stick in the nose punch as often as they stuck in the die with the palm pusher. No way to get them out other than pliers. Is this common? Maybe I need to polish the nose punch? (old stuff bought off e-Bay)

BT, since we are using shells (40Shortandweak) as bullet bodies do your special cut nose punches allow one to but the bullet in the appropriate shell holder and use this to push them into the nose punch and pull them out?

ReloaderFred
08-27-2011, 07:57 PM
You've got to lube the jackets and a little lube on the nose punch will let them come out easier. I just use the spray case lube or Imperial Die Wax, depending on how many I'm doing.

Hope this helps.

Fred

BT Sniper
08-27-2011, 08:05 PM
BT, since we are using shells (40Shortandweak) as bullet bodies do your special cut nose punches allow one to but the bullet in the appropriate shell holder and use this to push them into the nose punch and pull them out?

YEP! We can notch the jacket with the core in place using approprate shell holder for the case/jacket we are using! Works slick as snot :)

Yes some 600 grit or finer on the nose punch will help. Flitz polish is good stuff too!

BT

DukeInFlorida
08-28-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm finding that .40 cast bullets work great as raw material for the 44 swc die set that I have for my swage-o-matic.

The heavier the better. I use them for 44 specials mostly, since those like lighter bullets.