PDA

View Full Version : Lube A Matic 1 help - need ideas

cabezaverde
08-27-2011, 11:54 AM
I have a LAM 1 that is in quite nice condition that I would like to get back in service. The problem I have is the dreaded stripped die nut. RCBS does not supply replacements anymore.

I wouldn't mind setting this unit up to take 1 sizer die that I use a lot if I could get the die in permanently and somewhat leakproof.

Any ideas out there? I do have 2 stripped nuts if they would be of use in any way for this.

cabezaverde
08-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I have been looking at this again and thinking about it some more. Both nuts have plenty of good thread higher up, untouched basically. The problem is that the sizing die sticks up, and if you over tighten the nut strips.

So I was thinking about picking a sizer that I commonly use, and finding someone with a lathe to shorten the H&I as well as the nut. Once i get it together, just leave it permanently that way.

mtgrs737
08-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Why not just have Lathesmith make you a special nut that is oversized or elongated to make it work with your LAM I ?

Look him up in the directory and send him a PM.

Lathesmith made me an oversized lube plunger for my Star and it worked like a charm!

cabezaverde
08-27-2011, 01:02 PM
My understanding is that it is a very difficult part to make.

mtgrs737
08-27-2011, 02:39 PM
My understanding is that it is a very difficult part to make.

I doubt that lathesmith would have any real problems with it.