PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Hammer Nose

Uncle Grinch
08-27-2011, 09:46 AM
close friend was given a Rossi 38 Special that won't fire. It looks like to firing pin, which is the hammer nose, is broke off. This appears to be a very common problem on the earlier Rossi's. The gun is in very gun condition otherwise.

From what I can dtermine, it appears to be a 5-shot J-frame style, possibly a model 31. All the usual places I contacted do not have a replacement hammer nose.

My idea is to either fabricate one from another revolver, i.e., S&W, Colt, or Taurus or mayby even make one from scratch and temper it.

I really would like a scale drawing to work from or find out if another model is interchangeable.

Uncle Grinch
09-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Just in case anyone else is looking for a Rossi hammer nose, Jack First Gun Parts has them in stock for $18.00

Multigunner
09-06-2011, 03:24 PM
The Rossi revolvers I've seen look to be clones of the S&W double actions.

I don't know which passive safety these use, the old hand ejector side sprung or the later more positive elevator type, but a local man got out of an attempted murder charge by claiming his Rossi .38 had gone off when he was wiping it down with a rag and accidently drew back the hammer that had caught in a fold of cloth.
I don't believe his explanation, but the jury seems to have bought it. I don't know if they did any tests.
At the time I remember thinking that the only way this was likely, if the safety slide was intact at least, would be if the firing pin was way over long.
The slide under the hammer is probably not enough to prevent the firing pin from reaching the primer if the hammer received a hard knock, but the hammer block should work if present unless the end were broken off.

Anyway since restoring my 20's Hand Ejector to shootable condition I'm leery of the old style side swinging block, and take extra care with this older S&W.
Debris or rust can disable the side sprung passive safety. The later system should work fine unless extremely worn or broken in some way.

In any case, if making a firing pin make sure its not long enough to contact the primer despite the passive safety.

Calamity Jake
09-08-2011, 08:52 AM
When you take the FP out there is a REAL SMALL ball and spring in the hammer, don't loose them.

VTI gun parts has a replacement FP.

If you make the FP use drill rod and heat treat it. I've made a couple myself, DR works pretty good.