PDA

View Full Version : deer shooting finally started yesterday

Lloyd Smale
08-27-2011, 06:09 AM
were almost a month late this year. The dnr said there just wasnt enough damage. the deer count is down that much. Oh well we still get a month and a half. Shot two last night, i shot one with the 7mag and my buddy one with the 2506 so i have a busy morning ahead of me.

Firebricker
08-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Cool it would be nice to get meat in the freezer before regular season. I seem to eat more venison during the fall. Especially soups and stews for after hunt dinner. Plus if I make jerky with a late season deer it stands zero chance of lasting till the next season for tree stand snacks ! FB

Charlie Two Tracks
08-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Good hunting! There are a whole bunch of bikers that would like to see you get them ALL.

Lloyd Smale
08-27-2011, 02:51 PM
got the first two all processed. there going all to making the first batch of sumer sausage. All except the backstraps anyway.

Charlie Two Tracks
08-27-2011, 05:23 PM
I quit deer hunting a few years ago. I used to be crazy about it. We had a garage that we would hang the deer in for five days. Northern Illinois in November is usually cold enough but not cold enough to freeze in the garage. I know how to bone them out and we would make steaks and roasts out of most of it. That five days of aging really made them tender. Nothing like a deer T-Bone that is tender and right off the fire. I used a sawzall blade that I had taken the paint off of to cut the bones of the loin and split the deer in half with. Works great.

Johnch
08-27-2011, 05:41 PM
I am also using a crop damage permit for a local farmer
As the deer are getting into the pumpkins already

We turned 3 doe's this AM into smoked sausage
We will be out again around 4-5 AM again Sunday to get a couple more

Got to love night vision scopes for crop damage deer hunting

John

Lloyd Smale
08-28-2011, 06:43 AM
they dont let us shoot at night. a half hour past sunset is it. It would be nice as you can ride by those fields a hour after dark and there just full of deer. Shot one with the 264 last night so i have enough for a batch of summer sausage now to try out my new smoker. Problem is getting two days in a row to make it up. We only get 6 weeks to shoot them this year so a guy doesnt want to blow two days in a row off.

Bad Water Bill
08-28-2011, 05:59 PM
LLOYD How long a season and what bag limits do you have up there? Sounds like a hunters paradise to me.[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Rafe Covington
08-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Season or not, if I run short of meat I shoot a deer. I would prefer to get one during the scheduled season but I do what is necessary at times.

Rafe:drinks:

Lloyd Smale
09-01-2011, 05:47 AM
bill this isnt regular deer season. Its crop damage shooting. We are only allowed 2 deer in regular season but I was asked by a farmer to take care of his deer problem on a big potatoe farm. there are 3 of us that do it and we start between the first of aug and the first of sept and can shoot unlimited does until about the 15 of oct. which is the start of bow season here. It isnt as great of a deal as you may think. We drive 110 miles round trip each day to hunt and theres nights when we dont even get a deer. two of us live that distance away and can take turns driveing and the other lives fairly close to the farm. I would guess that if you figured in gas and wear and tear on the vehicles that youd be much better off buying beef. But to me its greatest thing i can think of. I get to test guns and loads and hunt 2 more months then anyone else and do it without limits. theres even times that we can shoot them with a spotlight and weve been even given permission to shoot bucks when they are tearing things up to bad. Nice thing too is that i have 12 sticks of summer sausage in the smoker right now that i wouldnt have had and were just gettting started, as a matter of fact theres two deer in the back of my truck right now that i have to cut up while im smoking.
LLOYD How long a season and what bag limits do you have up there? Sounds like a hunters paradise to me.[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Iowa Fox
09-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Lloyd,

Are you using cast on those pests?

Been seeing mostly does with fawns just loosing their spots around here. Have not been seeing the big herds in the bean fields as in years past but we are still over run with them.

sundog
09-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Waddya mean, "loosing their spots?" Like, at the dinner table? Or their spot in line at the movie house? [smilie=s:

Johnch
09-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Waddya mean, "loosing their spots?" Like, at the dinner table? Or their spot in line at the movie house? [smilie=s:

Not a lot to some of them yeat
But fork tender at this size

Sat I may shoot a fawn to cook Sunday evening
As we are having a family get to geather

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/6254e600a9a714a3.jpg

And everyone love Bambi :-D :-D

John

Iowa Fox
09-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Veal chops

Lloyd Smale
09-03-2011, 07:12 AM
ive shot a few with cast out of handguns but mostly its a long range proposition and its rifles with jacketed that get the call. We try to avoid the fawns but end up shooting maybe a half a dozen each year because at 3-400 yards its sometimes tough to judge size especially in low light. The hind quarters do make a heck of a roast though! My dad is allways calling and checking to see if i have any in the freezer. The farmer wants them all dead but the dnr says no bucks unless its a spike with 3 inch or less horns and we dont want to break the law and loose our privelage and we like to let the fawns go so we have something for next year.

Freightman
09-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Crop damage! no crops, with 2" of rain since January there is no crops. My cousin (the place I hunt) said the deer , what few she has seen are in bad shape no forage, no water, no cover. I do not think deer season will be very good this year if at all. We have had 55 days above 100 and where the land is has had right at 100 days above 100 and no rain.

MT Gianni
09-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Season or not, if I run short of meat I shoot a deer. I would prefer to get one during the scheduled season but I do what is necessary at times.

Rafe:drinks:

Sir, you stated elsewhere about your holdings of precious metals. I suggest you revise your priorities if poaching is really necessary.

Lloyd Smale
09-04-2011, 07:28 AM
I feel for you texans. This drought has effected even us up here but to not near the extent that your state has been hit. They were talking on the farm last night. They usualy spray roundup on the grean tops of the potaoe plants to kill them off before harvest. They said two of there fields it wont even be nessiary as there all dying on there own. They also said the average potatoe is about 15 percent smaller then last year and theyve done twice the irriagation this year as last.
Crop damage! no crops, with 2" of rain since January there is no crops. My cousin (the place I hunt) said the deer , what few she has seen are in bad shape no forage, no water, no cover. I do not think deer season will be very good this year if at all. We have had 55 days above 100 and where the land is has had right at 100 days above 100 and no rain.