PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a GB for individually owned Hammer Molds?

Mauser Rat
08-26-2011, 10:34 PM
This thread is to investigate the interest in a group buy for lead hammer molds. These molds would belong to the individual member participating in the group buy as the honor system does not seem to work anymore.

I don't pretend to understand everything that has gone on with the "circulating honor system hammer mold" except that the honor system seems to have broken down somewhat with 3 or 4 of them disappearing over time. Now only the ones that broke the chain get to use the hammer molds that used to be circulating FOR THE FREE USE OF ALL OF THE MEMBERS.

So. There are no longer any hammer molds circulating amongst the membership for usage by the membership for FREE but there still appears to be a demand for the use of the hammer mold amongst the members. For those of you unfamiliar with the hammer mold, this is what one looks like:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/185824e58548c6b337.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1947)

Basically, at least as far as I understand it never having used one before, the hammer mold allows somebody to pour a lead hammer head on a handle of your choice. If we go through with a group buy for hammer molds, Ken has given the OK for the mold to use the Cast Boolits logo. I would suggest that we price the molds so that each one purchased will donate say, $5 to Cast Boolits to help support the Forum.

I found some information on a very unresponsive site that indicates a price for the molds for something on the order of $40 but I don't know if we can actually get them made for that price or not.

BUT

Assuming that we could get them for something on the order of say, $50 with the donation to the Forum, is there any interest in a Group Buy for Cast Boolits logo Hammer Molds?

harley45
08-26-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm in for one!

Springfield
08-27-2011, 01:00 PM
I believe there actually is a hammer mould with the castboolits logo on it that was donated to the site for the use of the members but the management here has decided not to let it out as it might get lost like all the rest. Never seemed quite fair, it was donated for all of us, but they never could figure out how to ensure the safety of the mould, so it just sits somewhere. Doesn't really matter to me as I was one of the first to get to use the other 2 moulds before they disappeared(were stolen) and made me 20 hammer heads of both sizes, so I am set for life.

DCP
08-28-2011, 09:44 AM
This is truly sad.

Someone sells there honor for $40-$60

Then hoarding by the in group. (but it is their site so they can)

I have been looking for one for over a yr now. I got the lathe to make the handles now. Now need just need the molds.

This isn't rocket science take a deposit just like tool rentals all over the county. (it works for them)

In this case I think we should get them as cheap as we can.
The site has one already they can use with donations to the Forum.

Mauser Rat please dont take this personally. We need a GB Honcho to take this over.

This is a great site. Its hard to believe this has become a issue.

I believe there actually is a hammer mould with the castboolits logo on it that was donated to the site for the use of the members but the management here has decided not to let it out as it might get lost like all the rest. Never seemed quite fair, it was donated for all of us, but they never could figure out how to ensure the safety of the mould, so it just sits somewhere. Doesn't really matter to me as I was one of the first to get to use the other 2 moulds before they disappeared(we're stolen) and made me 20 hammer heads of both sizes, so I am set for life.

Mauser Rat
08-31-2011, 12:18 AM
DCP,

I was NOT offering to Honcho anything. :grin: I was seeing if there was any interest in the hammer mold as a GB. So far it seems not.

thehouseproduct
08-31-2011, 05:50 PM
I'd love one.

X-man
09-03-2011, 07:03 PM
I'd buy one.

Four Fingers of Death
09-04-2011, 11:43 PM
What a great tool! I'd buy one.

scb
09-05-2011, 10:06 AM
$40.00 Seems like a great price.
From McMaster-Carr.
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr236/scb2008/leadhammer.jpg
As far as protecting the where abouts of the current one I'd suggest a "core" deposit. A persons wants to use the mould they send a check for the value of the mould along with a stamped self addressed envelope. When the mould is returned or sent on the check gets sent back. Otherwise it gets cashed.

Fthomp
09-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Looks to me like the hammers can be had for $40. The molds are in the next column over.

What size hammer mold are we talking for the group buy?

tonyjones
09-05-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm interested.

Tony

Bob J
09-06-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm interested as well depending on the available sizes

NoZombies
09-06-2011, 06:23 PM
At $40-50 I'd buy one.

bronte454
09-08-2011, 06:09 PM
I would be a definate maybe depending upon cost and what size or weight

Flintlockrecord
09-09-2011, 03:22 AM
I would also like one.

Mauser Rat
09-14-2011, 03:41 AM
This has been up for a couple of weeks and 10 or so people have left answers from "possibly-maybe-sort-of" to definite "I want." I don't know how to count the first kind of answer but it seems like we might get 20 or so firm "I want" answers if someone actually tried to put this thing together. If it actually showed up in the Active G.B. category it might do fairly well.

I was not offering to Honcho this but I am willing to 1) turn this over to someone that wants to follow through or 2) I will offer to do more research and, perhaps, line up a manufacturer who might be willing to work with us. There seems to be a market for things with the logo attached and I, personally, would like to see the proceeds/profits go to Ken and the folks who do all the work around here - either for other projects or for Forum support. I look around and see how much time folks spend here and then I compare that to going to ONE movie at a theater, or one night bowling or fill in whatever turns your own crank including shooting and there is no comparison. This place gives us all a lot more than it asks us for and I lean toward evening that relationship up a little.

Please leave your productive suggestions/ideas here and, in the mean time, I will look around to see if there is anybody that would make these for us. Blammer is running a Cast Boolit Ingot Mould buy now so there must be Custom manufacturer's around?

sav300
09-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Mauser Rat.
I want one ! 3 to 5 lbs.

thehouseproduct
09-14-2011, 09:49 AM
I'd help with CAD drawings. Sand cast the two halves perhaps?

Four Fingers of Death
09-14-2011, 07:55 PM
I'd help with CAD drawings. Sand cast the two halves perhaps?

That is a kind offer, but there seems to me to be not much point to it if they are already available, unless they are prohibitively expensive or you want the boards name on them or something, which is gilding the lily a bit.

Mauser Rat
09-15-2011, 03:21 AM
sav300,

I want one too. 3 to 5 lbs sounds great. Where are we gonna get them?

And I agree with Four Fingers - If we start with drawings they are going to cost an arm and a leg (no pun intended Four Fingers :-) )

We need to start with a manufacturer that will attach the Cast Boolits logo to an existing product and go from there. And we need a HONCHO! Somebody to run this puppy through to delivery and I am not in a position to offer that kind of time frame.

Anybody volunteer to Honcho this?