PDA

View Full Version : range lead soft enough for muzzleloaders?

Link23
08-26-2011, 10:13 PM
just like the title says, is range lead soft enough for a muzzleloader? i just bought my first ML today, it is a traditions its in the black stock with a scope and everything on it. not bad for 50 bucks, anyways any ideas? ive shot these things MAYBE 5 times in my life so if you would please help i would enjoy the knowledge

Link23

runfiverun
08-26-2011, 11:22 PM
range lead is most anything from store bought cast to 22 lead and jacketed cores.
it'll depend on how your batch falls.
if you get the lead unsmelted you could pick out the soft.

badbob454
08-27-2011, 12:07 AM
if you can easily scratch the lead with your fingernail and feel the mark easily it should be soft enough

eldoradolee
08-27-2011, 12:27 AM
:dung_hits_fan::dung_hits_fan:
just like the title says, is range lead soft enough for a muzzleloader? i just bought my first ML today, it is a traditions its in the black stock with a scope and everything on it. not bad for 50 bucks, anyways any ideas? ive shot these things MAYBE 5 times in my life so if you would please help i would enjoy the knowledge

Link23

I personally would not use range lead in your M.L.Use pure soft lead,b.h.n 5 to 7.Stick on wheel weights will work,if you can't get pure lead.Just my 2 cents worth.Lee

10 ga
08-27-2011, 10:26 AM
For patched round balls or saboted boolits hard is OK, even good if you want penetration. For REAL or minnie boolits you need soft as it has to form to the rifleing and you really can't shoot them fast without leading problems. Lube is important with black powder and substitutes. Lotsa threads about that available through the search engine, I use 1-1-1 = beeswax-peanut oil-deer tallow. I have used some hard alloys for roundballs and sabot boolits, 1/1 +2%=coWW/hard range lead with 2% tin is really good, as you really don't need expansion in 50 & 58 & 69 roundballs. Just use well lubed good tough patches, I use linen or pillow ticking. And hard cast boolits in sabots are a longtime standard in MLs. I shoot roundballs and sabots over 2000 fps without any problems. You might do a search in the muzzleloading and hunting with cast boolits forums as this has been covered before and lotsa info available. Best, 10 ga

Gtek
08-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Depends on what your going to push into it. Twist 1-28?. You can pour for sabot, ball you can fudge a little on hardness. Maxi or Minie you need dead soft PB for gas seal. IMO most range lead is pretty close to a good hunting mix, sabot's are cheap. The muzzle load crowd is a very diverse group with VERY strong opinions. Read a little, play a little and figure out what is best for you.
Be safe- Gtek