PDA

View Full Version : Elevation screw for S&W

Irascible
08-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Does anyone make a better elevation screw for a S&W? The stock one only has 6 very soft clicks per reveloution. Have you modified yours? How?

subsonic
08-26-2011, 10:49 PM
The sights on my 686 are nicer than normal. It has the 4 position front sight option and taller rear blade. You might be able to find parts from one like this.

Also see what Hamilton Bowen shows on his sight. The Target rear Ruger sights are excellent.

Calamity Jake
08-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Take a look at Millet, I think they make a replacement S&W rear sight.

HeavyMetal
08-27-2011, 10:50 AM
If Millet was still in business that would be a good suggstion.

However Millet never sold a seperate elevation screw for S&W sights, rather they sold a whole replacement sight with better "clicks" engineered into it.

Calamity Jakes idea is a good one but needs to be extended to go find an "NOS" Millett s&w sight and replace the stocker on the OP's S&W.

The auction sites are where you'll have the best chance of this amd the most likely option you'll find will be the "blank" S&W sight Millett made. This was offered for the early N frame guns as S&W never standerdized a retaining screw location until the late 70's ( I think) so the blank sight was a drill it to fit deal.

This sight was never popular and I think that would be the likely survivor you'd find as an NOS piece that had never been used.

Any good smith can fit this for you!

You might call Gun Parts, the old Numrich, and see if they may have one. A lot of times they won't put small quantities in the catalog but will do an internal search for them.

Ya don't get lucky if ya don't ask!

HeavyMetal
08-27-2011, 02:35 PM
PM sent to you Millett sights for sale!

9.3X62AL
08-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Kind of a shame those Millett revolver sights are no more. I installed a bunch of those on K- and L-frame S&Ws in the early to mid-1980s. I liked them for field use, had a "white outline rear" that went well with the factory red-ramp front on a 6" Model 586.

Irascible
08-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys

MtGun44
08-27-2011, 11:49 PM
try some very light oil on the screw. The spring and ball may be gummed or rusted up a
bit. If you free them up with oil, you should get better clicks.

Bill