PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with cast

georgewxxx
01-24-2007, 01:43 PM
On another thread the subject of what kind of gun do you need for Prairie dogs made me think just what do we need to do in a 2 or 3 pound critter. I don't want to make too much fun of you guys that talk about shooting prairie dogs with little tiny pip squeak j- boolits. It's almost like cheating yourself out of the chance to really learn how to shoot your favorite big game rifle. Most of us start out with a .22. I know I did. A plain unscoped Remington model 12. No peep sights, just plain'ol irons. We shot flicker-tail gophers in SW Minnesota in the pasture at ranges out to 250yds. It took a while, but learning windage and especially elevation was a valuable tool later on when hunting big game.

A couple of years ago in western South Dakota during deer season, we were walking back to the pickup that was about 3/4 mile away. taking a shortcut we walked through the middle of a dog town. I had my Kimber made 308 with a pocket full of cast bullets that I use on deer. At that time, I was using a Ideal 31141 boolit over 45gr of H4831 chugging along at a mild 2337fps. Mild for a 308 anyway. I sat down and and emptied my pocket of 6 rounds plus the 5 that were in the rifle and started with the closer dogs, around 125yds or so. The last rounds were fired around 275yds. Out of the 11 rds I hit 9 dogs squarely. That flat nosed 31141 would turn a dog inside out with a green fizz flying up in the air. Not much was left but a bunch of skin on most of them. I had taken along a Sako 222 with cast just in case we had time for some prairie rat shooting, but gun was 12 miles away at the ranch.

The day before we had just finished make a drive covering several coolies. Out there in the open ranges you need to check all drainage ditches, coolies, anyplace that deer might have cover. There were 9 of us that ended up on a hill trying to decide where we would go next. The subject of how far a knoll was off in the distance, and some of the guys wanted to try poking at a clod of dirt on a bank. All who had extra rounds along shot at the bank to see how much drop their respective ammo would show up to be. Most all hit about dead center or close to it. I was the last to try with my cast 308 load. I fired twice and both hit about a foot below everyone else's. One of the guys had a grange finder along and checked to see what the distance was. 535yds was the answer. After seeing just where my boolit hit made my day. A dose of confidence while hunting, knowing how much drop your rifle has, is a good feeling, believe me.
One other thing about that 308 load. It averages around 3" at 100yds. That boolit and that gun will shoot .75" at 100yds with a sedate 1900fps load from a bench, but I'm not target shooting, I'm hunting. That year I loaded up 100rds for hunting, and between my Son Eric & I, we shot 9 deer. Never lost a one.

So what rifle and what kind of boolit are you going to use hunting next time? Come on you guys get with it, this is a cast boolit forum...Geo

ELFEGO BACA
01-24-2007, 03:13 PM
My big game hunting success with cast bullets has been limited to Lyman's 429421 made of wheelweights - about 255 grains. They were fired in a Ruger Old Model Superblackhawk with issue sights. Never recovered a bullet!

I tried the same load on cottontails once. I aimed for the head, hit a little low, and had nothing to show!

Dale53
01-24-2007, 09:01 PM
I have actually shot quite a few snowshoe rabbits with my Model 24 S&W. I just shot them "through the slats". It makes a 3/4" hole through their ribs, instant stopping power, and no meat lost. All in all, quite satisfactory. Where I hunted them, I would jump them, they would run about 25 yards and stop momentarily to see "what was happening ". That is when I shot them. You don't have long, just a second or so, but it is an easy set up.

Dale53

Bullshop
01-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Oh yea we do shoot some snowshoe rabbits. Last week I took BS#1 and BS#2 and in two hours we had 15. There was lots more but that was all we could carry. I like to mix them about 50/50 with moose or caribou for sausage. I mostly use my cooper with the 45gn nei but this time I took my 257 rob. Was using boolits from a rngc about 80gn that someone from the board here sold me awhile back. Cant recal the load but through the fog I seem to see 11gn unique. Anyway whatever it was it shot good and from the S M A K it made on a good hit left no doubt it was enough for rabbit.
BIC/BS

TCLouis
01-24-2007, 10:54 PM
You are the one that got the other 4,000 of those cast pills.

I sat on them for a while then dug out the 257 and ran two runs (24 hours exposure each) of Wipe-Out to rid it of copper.

Dang preliminary loads with Red Dot provide the exact Plinking load and accuracy I wanted. Well not really exact cause wonce I find a load it is time to search for/find a another.

What load are you using?

Sure did pique my interest to get in on a 25 cal 6 banger mold!

Bullshop
01-25-2007, 01:50 AM
TC
No I didnt buy any boolits that would look realy bad for me. I bought a mold from a board member, I think from Canada. Old Lyman RNGC about 80gn in WW I think. Shoots real good from my beater 257R. Not a fancy rifle just somthin I put together from a few years of parts collecting. It aint pretty but I made it, I like it and with its pet loads it shoots good too.
My favorite shot so far with it was when I was at the bench in the shootin shack just havin fun punchin hole at 100 yards. Then right in line with my target but 300 yards out high in top of a tall spruce lit a no good chicken steelin gosh hawk. Well it just felt so natural to elivate the muzzle a bit
and hear that pleasing WHAP and see the feathers fly.
BIC/BS

Bass Ackward
01-25-2007, 07:50 AM
I like to mix them about 50/50 with moose or caribou for sausage. BIC/BS

Dan,

Boy does that sound good, but it must take a ton of boning to get enough for 50/50 ratio. :grin:

Bullshop
01-25-2007, 01:01 PM
BA
One quick look at my abreviated finger tipps tells the story! AH! but the sausage is worth it!
BIC/BS

ejjuls
01-25-2007, 05:47 PM
I run several calibers and a handlful of bullets for hunting.

Primarlily I like the 250 grain SAECO 44 cal. and the 190 grain 8mm for hunting. I did take a nice cow elk with a .44 300 grain SAECO a couple of years ago. This was my first big animal kill with cast. In haste due to a narrow window to shoot I pinned her through both shoulders at 160yds with my .444 Marlin. I recovered a couple fragments of the slug on the off side hide - the core kept going. The cow took about 2 steps and piled up. EXTREMELY little meat damage - probably 2" around the bullet holes was all that was lost.

When I was a little kid I cast and shot more than I do now. Back then I had more time on my hands! I wasn't much for recor keeping back then and now I am trying to re-create some of my favorite loads. I particularly like the 170 grain FP in 30 cal. Right now it is just the LEE mold but it does do a number on deer and coyotes from a 7.62x54R sporter.

Now I am experimenting with the little .22's just for fun. I don't think I will attempt anything larger than squirrels with these!

I do play alot with my trusting "Howitzer" (.444 Marlin) - it does do a number on squirrels too. Problem is you cannot see the bullet strike and it is hell trying to find evidence of your squirrel too!

Eric