PDA

View Full Version : Smith Carbine

Lawnjockey
08-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I just splurged and bought a repro Smith Carbine with my Cabelas points. Now for the fun part. What have you guys found shoots well in these? Any tuning tricks, etc?

Tom-ADC
08-27-2011, 10:26 AM
With luck cwskirmisher will read this if not you could PM him, he was a great help to me when I bought mine.
If you need boolits to get started try masscaster here on the board, he fixed me up.

Lawnjockey
08-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks Tom, I sent PMs.

NickSS
08-29-2011, 05:19 AM
I have a couple of them and they are pretty good shooters. One thing you need is some cases if you do not have them. S&S Firearms can fix you up as well as dixiie gun works. The brass ones are pricy but they last forever. The plastic ones work well but wear out but they are cheap. I have a 370 gr Rapine mold that cast a flat pont bullet that works in my smith when sized .515". The best thing you can do for your smith action is to buy a music wire trigger spring for it. The ones that come with the rifle give you a really hard trigger pull. S&S has them too.

Tom-ADC
09-01-2011, 01:28 PM
With some help and a piece of .040 spring wire I wound my own trigger spring. You need a pair of round nose pliers also. Once you see the old spring in the gun its pretty easy to wind your own. I did try .020 & .032 but half cock didn't seem secure and the prigger pull was way to light.