PDA

View Full Version : Hi point test ?

colt 357
08-26-2011, 05:12 PM
I heard all kinds of things about Hi Point pistols bad and good. Was going to get one at a gun show a few times but didn't because of the stories. Then I seen these four videos on youtube and change dmy mind about getting one. So I pick up a 9mm C9 model at a gun show for a $132.00. Lets say that I was surprized by the guns performance. So I started casting bullets for it but still working up the loads for it. Now for a carry weapon I probably wouldn't use it but it is a great cheap little range plinker. I think it works well. Not that I am advocating anyone go buy one but though you guys would like to see the test. (Warning they beat the hack out of this gun watch only if you can stomach it)DONT TRY THIS AT HOME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmt5QB814Tw&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HXtEvjlGg&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE&feature=relmfu

Arisaka99
08-26-2011, 05:55 PM
They are touggh as a brick and pretty accurate. They get a bad rap, but they fired a blue and red pill in it and it fired flawlessly.

colt 357
08-26-2011, 06:08 PM
I beleve in the last video they drove a bolt in the end of the barrel filled the bore up with bulleye clamped the slide shut the remote fired it to get it to blow up. that was the only way they could get it to blow up. waiting for the glock test to see how that goes.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Colt 357,
exact same story with me.
I thought, "HI Point...what junk"
then I watched those videos months ago.
then I started looking for a good used Hi Point on the cheap.
the local gunshop had a used C9 for $99...I bought it.
I've shot several boxes of castboolit ammo in it, and am very pleased,
I do highly recommend them as a economical shooter,
I won't say cheap anymore.
Jon

fivegunner
08-26-2011, 06:18 PM
sorry, it`s just a zip gun , don`:castmine:t waste your money

subsonic
08-26-2011, 06:33 PM
As far as the niche they fill - i think truck gun, boat gun, plinker, and hammer.

Some guys buy the milsurp pistols to have beaters, but i think the hi-points might fill that role even better.

If they only made a rifle... They do! I keep thinking that if i save my cabelas bucks and stack my coupons, when their rifles go on sale again at cabelas in .45 ima get one.

klcarroll
08-26-2011, 06:51 PM
I bought my first Hi Point because I had seen several of the same videos.

It was a .40 S&W that cost me $98 on Gunbroker. (used.)

It is exactly what they say: .....Big, Heavy, Simple, with looks that only a mother could love.

But............

It goes bang EVERY time I pull the trigger.

It has never jammed.

It eats my lead reloads (Lee 175 grn TLTC) with relish.

It is accurate enough to roll beer cans around at 75 yards.

........Not exactly "Zip Gun" performance; ......Eh????

Kent

P.S. .......Oh yeah, one other thing: ...It comes with a TRANSFERABLE LIFETIME WARRANTY!!

klc

colt 357
08-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I agree not junk by far the only jams i had was in the first 50 rounds though it (2). I think it was still a little tight from being new. then when I run some cast thought it at 4.0 gr of unquie. that was the min load I could use to run the slide. it jamed 4 out of a 100. 4.4 grains it ran them great(no jams). I got some 4.5 gr ones for this weekend.
Hope they do the glock test to see how that goes.

jh45gun
08-27-2011, 12:49 AM
I bought one used but very little from a friend in 45 ACP I was hesitant at first but I figured for 120 bucks both clips loaded with HP ammo it was worth it. Best 120 bucks I have spent in a while. I figure if I carry it I am gonna buy a leather pack with several pockets to carry it. (Urban Camouflage LOL ) No it is not as pretty as my Uberti SAA but it as stated goes bang every time I pull the trigger and is accurate. I would bet my life on it as much as any other good pistol. It shoots my Lee 200 Gr bullets fine though the back sight had to come up some because I figure they are regulated for 230 GR bullets. I cut the bottom of one magazine for carry purposes where the plastic was all came off then I cut off the bottom of a 1911 mag and left about 3/8ths of the body of the mag inserted and fit it to the Hi Point mag and pinned and glued it with some high tech glue and two spring roll pins Now that mag is flush to the bottom of the grip like a 1911. Makes for a little easier concealment for a large gun.

jh45gun
08-27-2011, 01:06 AM
sorry, it`s just a zip gun , don`:castmine:t waste your money

Do you have one or ever shot one? If not then do not listen to the internet banter that bashes them. I heard the same stories when I bought my Henry from all the Marlin 39 and Winchester 9422 guys. Well now we all know how a lot of folks love their Henry's. I would not get rid of my 22 mag for nothing.

High Point is not a Johnny come lately They have been making pistols for 19 years. While that is young compared to some gun companies it does show that they have staying power and a market niche. Sure the guns are not expensive in price the reason being that the owner wanted a gun that ANY ONE could afford for protection or any other reason some one owns a hand gun. They are dependable and accurate and work.

maglvr
08-27-2011, 05:04 AM
"P.S. .......Oh yeah, one other thing: ...It comes with a TRANSFERABLE LIFETIME WARRANTY!!"

Nothing against your gun, we all like what we like.
However..............."TRANSFERABLE LIFETIME WARRANTY" only means the "lifetime" of the company ;)

klcarroll
08-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Nothing against your gun, we all like what we like.
However..............."TRANSFERABLE LIFETIME WARRANTY" only means the "lifetime" of the company ;)

PLEASE!!! .......Provide a list of Companies where the above is NOT true!!!!!!

I am waiting with bated breath for your response; ....For your list will change my buying habits forever!

Kent

jh45gun
08-27-2011, 12:02 PM
LOL I cannot figure some folks out the same ones who may buy a cheap DVD player because it was on sale or a cheap TV at Walmart and figure they got a good deal and that is fine but if it is a gun company like Hi Point or Henry then the stuff is junk. About that warranty I doubt Hi Point is going away any time soon. The way the economy is going folks will be buying more reasonable priced guns than expensive ones.

P.K.
08-27-2011, 01:27 PM
As far as the niche they fill - i think truck gun, boat gun, plinker, and hammer.

Some guys buy the milsurp pistols to have beaters, but i think the hi-points might fill that role even better.

If they only made a rifle... They do! I keep thinking that if i save my cabelas bucks and stack my coupons, when their rifles go on sale again at cabelas in .45 ima get one.

I was looking at this for a little more as a HD weapon to add a little length( barrel) to my 1911. For the $$$ it's spot on, down side it only takes their magazines in a 10 round capacity. I'm opting for a 5.56 upper with suppressor.

That said EVERY article I've read on the 4595 TS has been positive to a caveat I haven't heard in years. ( don't remember the author) but he said it "was a gun to ride the river with." Where I grew up this was high praise.

I'll toss my experiance with one of their handguns in too. At a range ( I won't name it because a few folks couldn't pass qualification with a few thousand $$$ worth of gun/optics/mags and ammo) that went through a nightmare of possible lawsuits and closure due to proximity to houses and a few yahoo's who put rounds near them, procedures had to be changed. Along came timed qualifications for proficiancy in accuracy and saftey in order to recive qualification to shoot in the open lanes. Dunno if it was all the gizmo whizbang dohickys on these race gun/glocizmos but if a little Hi-Point .380 can go through it w/o one malfunction out of the box what does that say? IMO? Reliability when it counts.

colt 357
08-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Are Hi Point barrels fixed/welded to the frame?

its a fixed barrel don't know if it is weld or not. first look at it when I got mine was it was machined. Idont know if the chamber is welded to barrel or if it is machined.

jh45gun
08-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Are Hi Point barrels fixed/welded to the frame?

How Do Hi-Point Pistols Operate?
Hi-Point pistol slides are die cast from an aluminum/zinc alloy with steel inserts reinforcing the entire breech area and other stress points. Hi-Point was one of the first American manufacturers to use a polymer frame for firearms. In 1992-93 Hi-Point offered a 9mm pistol in polymer, then the .380, and lastly the .40 and .45 pistols.

The barrel is mounted permanently to the frame while the recoil spring is located in a groove beneath the barrel where a downward extension of the slide bears upon it during recoil. Separate grip panels are held in place by screws and tabs on their bottom edges that enter cutouts in the frame.

This design depends primarily upon the slide's mass to prevent it from moving to the rear until chamber pressure has dropped to a safe level while the recoil spring provides a secondary means of preventing slide movement.

Hi-Point pistols are striker fired and utilize a single-action trigger mechanism. Trigger letoff is approximately four pounds. A thumb safety on the left side of the frame blocks the sear when engaged. To provide additional protection, the design includes a spring-loaded sear block that falls under the sear pin arm and prevents sear movement if the pistol is dropped while a weight counteracts sear movement.

A simple magazine safety, consisting of a steel bar (magazine lockout, part No. 35) underneath the right grip panel, blocks the trigger bar from pushing the sear cam if the magazine is removed. When a magazine is inserted, it bears against a curved portion of the lockout bar, pushing it sideways so the trigger bar can move to engage the sear cam. In addition, a clearance cut at the rear of the chamber, near the extractor, allows one to visually ascertain if a cartridge is in the chamber.

Note if the barrel ever wears out Hi Point will replace it for free just got to send the gun back. But there are reports of these guns shooting thousands of rounds with no barrel issues.

klcarroll
08-27-2011, 09:20 PM
.......Note if the barrel ever wears out Hi Point will replace it for free just got to send the gun back. But there are reports of these guns shooting thousands of rounds with no barrel issues.

I have put over 2500 rounds through my .40, ....And I can't see any sign of anything more than cosmetic wear.

.......Think about it: .....Back when I was 16 years old, American Cars had steel frames and heavy gauge stamped steel body panels.

Today, in the search for fuel economy and a tolerable "pricepoint", ...cars are made of plastic, aluminum, and THIN steel stampings.

Does this make todays cars inferior?? .....Sure, they don't have that "solid" feeling that the cars of the '60s did; .......But they get three times the fuel economy, make twice the horsepower per cubic inch, and routinely live past 150,000 miles.

......All of these positive points are due to the usage of modern materials, modern manufacturing techniques, and modern design: ....In short, the same stuff the Hi Point company is doing.

I am one of those who appreciates solid ordinance steel and wood furnature (...witness my sick obsession with Webleys!); .....But that doesn't stop me from appreciating the Hi Point weapons for their positive points.

Kent

jh45gun
08-28-2011, 12:00 AM
I agree Kent the same guys that Bashed Henry a few years ago for using a Aluminum/Zinc side plates thought nothing of bragging up that Ruger 10/22 which used a Aluminum alloy cast receiver and some plastic parts. Now I see the same bashing of Hi Point there probably has been for a while I never noticed it or payed attention until I bought one. I can say with both my Henry and my Hi Point the naysayers comments are unfounded. For years pistol makers wanted to make a Dependable Centerfire Blow Back Design. Hi Point has done it. It may be a bit boxy but to me so is Glocks and HK pistols What makes them feel a bit odd is the heavy slide but I found that a HK is the same size as a hp 45

hk
Dimensions HK 45
Overall length 7.52 in.
Overall height 5.83 in.
Overall width w/lever 1.42 in.
Barrel length 4.53 in.
Sight radius 6.61 in.
Weight
With magazine 1.73 lb
Magazine 0.20 lb
Other Specifications
Magazine capacity 10 Cartridges
Sights Fixed (Open square notch rear sight with contrast points)

HiPoint

Barrel length: 4.5"
Overall length: 7.75"
Weight: 35 oz.
Frame: High-impact polymer
Finish: Black powder coat with polished sides
Capacity: 9-shot magazine
Sights: 3-dots, fully-adjustable rear sight

Polymer frame
Durable, attractive easy-grip finish
Last round lock open
Quick on-off thumb safety
Operations safety sheet
+P rated
Free extra rear peep sight
Free trigger lock
Lifetime warranty
100% American-made, parts and assembly

In fact the Holster I bought was marketed as for the HK and the HI Point.

Did any one know the beloved 45 1911 is heavier than the Hi Point yep 39 oz for a standard size 1911 only difference is the weight is distributed out through the whole gun instead of mostly the slide on the Hi Point. One thing about that heavy slide though it acts like a barrel weight for better accuracy shooting. If you ever shot a gun with a barrel weight on it you may agree with that assessment.

So while the Hi Point may be criticized as heavy and bulky it is not really any more than other guns just made different for the blow back design. Sure the slide is a bit fatter for carry purposes but that can be over come with different CC carry ways.

jh45gun
08-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Now don't think I am directly saying the HK is the same as HP I am not but I will never be able to afford a HK at the prices they want I could afford a HP which was the reason the guy who owns HP made the pistols in the first place to be affordable so anyone could afford a gun. I would rather have a cheap dependable gun I could afford then have no gun because I could not afford it. Not saying I do not have some good guns I do but none of them go over the 700 dollar mark if bought new. All of them were bought used except for two guns I bought new and I traded off other guns and accessories to do that.

dk17hmr
08-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I always kind of liked the idea of owning a High Point handgun. At BBPDS we ran maybe 1000 rounds through the 45 model, mostly light loads but also some hot loads that were boarder line 45 super....the HP took it like a champ and wanted more. The few stopages we had I think could be traced back to either the mag or the ammo.

Now that the 45 carbine is on the market and it takes the same mags as the pistols I might get a matching set.

roverboy
08-29-2011, 01:47 PM
A guy at work was wearing a Hi-Point shirt the other day, and I asked him if he owned one. He said he had a 9mm,.40,and a .45. He said he and his son had tried to kill all 3 and so far couldn't. His son even killed a deer with a 9mm Hi-Point carbine. I want a .45 for myself.

klcarroll
08-29-2011, 02:54 PM
In a High Point when there is a breech failure or a cartridge fires slightly out of battery:
What happens, where do the large and small parts go?

What are the safe guards of other pistols compared to High Points? (Browning designs, Glock, Beretta, etc.)

Bill

I'm afraid your question isn't completely clear to me.

There are two kinds of semi-auto weapons in this world: "Locked Breach" and "Blowback"; ...and it seems to me as though you are asking for a comparison. (...Since all the weapons you mentioned by name are Locked Breach weapons.)

Item 1) I need a clearer definition of "Breech Failure".

Item 2) An "Out of Battery" discharge can happen in virtually any semi-automatic weapon; and the causes can include a high primer, or a stuck firing pin. In most "Locked Breach" weapons, an "Out of Battery Discharge" will also probably mean that the slide and barrel have not achieved "lockup". In this scenario, the locked breach design and blowback design aren’t very different in behavior, ….except that the lighter slide of the Locked Breach design will recoil back at an unnaturally rapid rate. The projectile will probably make it out of the barrel, and the pieces of the failed cartridge case will be blown out of the ejection port by the escaping gas.

Locked Breach designs ARE NOT inherently any safer than Blowback designs! The locked breach architecture simply makes lighter, more compact weapons possible in any given caliber: ……In fact, blowback designs can and do handle problems like “obstructed bore” BETTER than their Locked Breach cousins! (See the YOUTUBE videos previously sited!)

I once examined a Spanish Star SMG that had SIXTEEN 9mm bullets stuck in the barrel! The problem occurred when a squib round did not clear the bore, and an unthinking shooter simply pulled the charging handle again and pulled the trigger. He actually finished the clip before pondering the unusual amount of sparks, smoke, and debris coming out of the ejection port!

The weapon was returned to service after I removed the stuck projectiles from the bore.

If a Locked Breach weapon like a Browning Hi-Power had been subjected to the same sort of abuse, the shooter would have been looking for the PIECES of the slide and barrel!

Kent

jh45gun
08-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Yep watch the Videos Bill The only way they could kill this gun was to make a pipe bomb out of it and that was LONG AFTER a locked breech gun would have given up the Ghost. Not saying the high point is superior to any of the other guns but as tough as they are they should not be bashed as junk either.

garym1a2
08-29-2011, 11:06 PM
I had their 45acp carbine. It was the only rifle I ever owned that I could not group it. Recoil was heavy for the caliber due to the blowback operation, shooting with sling from prone position made aimpoint shift off target. Leaded like crazy and had an awefull trigger. I hated the gun, brought it for $310 new and sold it to a friend for $150. The only good point with it was reliablty.

jh45gun
08-29-2011, 11:31 PM
I would have sent it back as the company would have taken care of you. Lots of folks have no problems getting good groups with Hi Points and that includes the carbines. The barrel probably needed to break in and I think that blow back design actually takes out some of the recoil. Never shot the carbine but have no problems with the pistol I had some leading at first but the gun was not even close to being broke in still is not but loading cast with LLA took care of that issue.

kyle623
08-31-2011, 12:32 PM
I have the 45 carbine and put a red dot on it. groups just as good as any of my higher priced guns in that caliber. i wasnt shooting from a rest but it grouped as good as i could keep the dot in the same spot. I havent tried any of my cast boolit reloads on it yet. but even my wife likes it and she doesnt like heavy recoil. felt more like a push to me when shooting it.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-02-2011, 11:16 AM
i haven't shot the pistol but a friend had the 9mm carbine it shot decent at 50 yards didn't try any farther

the weakness of hi-points seems to be that the mag lips bent easily and end up being the number one cause of failure at least for the 2 that the co worker has if he has a problem a new mag seems to fix it. makes me think he is hard on mags

i saw one set up with a cheap red dot and a light , as a coon in the chicken house gun , the owner said he and his wife have them set up this way and when every they hear squawking from the chicken coop they grab them as they hang near the back door, a 9mm thumps a coon but good from a carbine.

bruce drake
09-02-2011, 11:26 AM
I am interested in the 45ACP Carbine. 15 years ago I had a 9mm Carbine but sold it to cover family bills during college. I liked the carbine setup but wasn't reloading or casting at the time and buying shells to plink got expensive.

Either caliber would be interesting to have again.

Bruce

klcarroll
09-02-2011, 02:06 PM
......As far as shooting cast boolits is concerned, .....my Hi Point .40 has been GREAT!

The rifling is sharp and deep, and it is not prone to leading.

During my last range visit, I put 350 Lee 175 grain truncated cone "tumble lubes" through it; ...and later in the day during the cleaning session I was surprised to note that all the bore required was a couple of passes with a wet patch! (...And that's with a "lead load" that chronographs at 970 fps!)

I think I may buy a couple more Hi Points: ......The cost is about the same as filling up my Dodge Durango!!

(If Winchester and Remington's marketing departments were really as clever as they think they are; .....They would be including a free Hi Point with every case of .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and 9mm!)

Kent