PDA

View Full Version : Hardness testers

JudgeBAC
01-24-2007, 11:43 AM
I have read most of the previous threads regarding which brand of tester most folks like. It looks like the Cabine Tree might be the best bet but this ignores the real question in my mind which is do I really need one? Why is it really important to know a BHN number if you adequately test your loads for accuracy, leading, and penetration? What are the real pros and cons if any to purchasing a hardness tester?

Dale53
01-24-2007, 12:06 PM
I have had a hardness tester (LBT) for many years. I use it from time to time to determine the hardness of bullets that are working or not working in a serious investigation to determine WHY. I find it helpful in matching alloys. Do your HAVE to have one? No. Is it useful? Yes...

In my Schuetzen use, where I use virgin metals (25/1 lead/tin) I really have no need. However, for pistols and other rifles, I am using salvaged metals from many sources and find that the hardness tester is very useful in comparing various lots of metal).

Dale53

475/480
01-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Good questions.
Honestly you probably don't need a tester If you take the time to test for accuracy, leading and penetration.The tester is just another tool to have and use..

Sean

Jon K
01-24-2007, 12:21 PM
JudgeBAC,

Maybe you do need to know the hardness, and maybe you don't, depending on useage.
This is just my feelings on the matter: I use WW/Linotype for my smokeless boolits. WW and the sources of which, vary as well as the formula, so who knows what's in it. For consistancy and repeatability, I test to make sure the hardness stays constant. That gives me piece of mind that I am using the same as what I have used for my load development. My shooting is Silhoutte, consistancy and accuracy are where I set my priorities.
Others may have different needs, priorities, opinions, or need to know.
So, the bottom line is whatever floats your boat.

Jon
:castmine:

cbrick
01-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Jon K nailed it. I have done a lot of long range revolver testing and proven to myself that variations in BHN does open up groups, SD and ES and change point of aim. Consistency from lot to lot of both your alloy and heat treating is a simple test on my LBT tester. Without it the best you can do is guess and wonder why it doesn't seem to be shooting very well when it did last month.

Lot to lot consistency is the reason I use the Magma 40 pound pot, 40 pounds of alloy all exactly the same plus it makes it easier to blend all of your ingots together for uniformity. The BHN tester tells me if there is a change once I add ingots or get a new supply of wheel weights.

Do you have to have one to cast boolits. No, of coarse not but it is a valuable, worthwhile tool that helps make life a little simpler. I would think that if all of your shooting is short range, say revolver and 1911's from 25 to 40 yards, its value would be less but the longer the range the more important a consistent BHN becomes for accuracy and repeatablity from lot to lot of alloy.

Rick

RANGER RICK
01-24-2007, 07:51 PM
I have read most of the previous threads regarding which brand of tester most folks like. It looks like the Cabine Tree might be the best bet but this ignores the real question in my mind which is do I really need one? Why is it really important to know a BHN number if you adequately test your loads for accuracy, leading, and penetration? What are the real pros and cons if any to purchasing a hardness tester?

For my use It comes in very handy.
I get lead from many sources .Pig lead ,scrap,flashing,dive weights ,fishing weights ,linotype ,monotype ,wheelweights , x-ray ,no battery lead .
I had piles of lead in the garage of unknown BHN and type of lead .
I have a 400 pound pot that I melt in and like to keep known alloys together that way I know if I need to add Lino or such to get a known hardness .
After I got my Cabin Tree tester it was only a week and had all piles tested and put into propper BHN piles .
I shoot BPCR , Magnum Revolvers and Rifles and they all like different BHN .
Plus the testers are just fun to play with .

RR

JudgeBAC
01-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Rick: How do you like the cabine tree tester? This is the one I am contemplating.
By the way, what in the world is a T Rex thumper?