PDA

View Full Version : I lost a good friend

grubbylabs
08-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Well it is official. I had to sell my 444. It was a Winchester M94 AE. I loved that gun. It packed a big thump. I sold it to a friend who has been wanting one ever since I got it. I know he will take good care of it.

I sold it to pay for a new puppy we are getting this fall. So either when I finally get a job or sell the pup as a one year old I will replace it with a Marlin in 444. Then I will know which is better, Marlin or Winchester.
In the mean time I think I will go elk hunting to console my self on my temporary loss.

9.3X62AL
08-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I would find it far easier to swap a gun for a new pup than to attempt a reversal of that swap later. But that's just me--I'm a total sap for pups and dogs, especially a big-going Labbie.

grubbylabs
08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
It was a tough choice. I sold the gun, dies brass, and left over ammo for 650 which is the cost of the pup. In a year I will be able to sell the pup for about 2,000-2,500. So I should be able to replace the gun, dies and brass when the dog sells. Or if I get hired at a school in a last minute hiring I will replace it with one of my first few pay checks.

Artful
08-26-2011, 11:51 AM
You know I have had many good guns and many good dogs - the dogs create stronger memories and I miss the dogs that are gone more than the guns.

Oh and my vote goes to Marlin but try to get one without stupid safety on the side.

grubbylabs
08-26-2011, 12:05 PM
That actually poses a good question. I am set on the 444, but have no Idea which model marlin I should get. The only thing I know is that I want at least a 20" barrel so that means the guide gun is out.

BSkerj
08-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Hey Steve...sorry about your rifle. I would go with the Marlin. Hopefully you will be able to find a 20 inch. Don't know much about the .444 but I love my .357 I got at Sportsmans a couple of years ago. They had two Cowboys and now I wish I would have bought both after seeing how the prices have gone up.
By the way..the Lab pup I got last Fall is doing great. He is a retrieving/swimming fool. Good luck with your pup.

runfiverun
08-26-2011, 11:25 PM
i'd give up a rifle or 5 if i could spend another day with a couple of my dogs...

grubbylabs
08-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Hey Steve...sorry about your rifle. I would go with the Marlin. Hopefully you will be able to find a 20 inch. Don't know much about the .444 but I love my .357 I got at Sportsmans a couple of years ago. They had two Cowboys and now I wish I would have bought both after seeing how the prices have gone up.
By the way..the Lab pup I got last Fall is doing great. He is a retrieving/swimming fool. Good luck with your pup.

Hay thanks bill. I found a 444 on Impact guns and it lists a 22" barrel. That should work great. Hopefully I will find one when I sell this new dog or get a job.

I am glad your dog is doing well. My current male is doing awesome as well. He should have a Sr. title by the end of next spring. If you here of any one looking for a female lab let me know. This girl is a fox red, which is basically a really dark yellow.

ia1727
08-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Now if you were getting an English Setter pup I would be all excited and not worried about losing your gun-- a Lab--not so much. English Setters Rule.[smilie=w::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Just kidding--I've been breeding setters for over ten years and can tell you for a fact that I'd also trade any gun I have to get back my Ellie that we lost this spring--every person that hunts should have a dog a good as her--irregardless of breed. Good luck with your pup--hope you can eventually get the gun you want.

Steve

Southern Son
08-29-2011, 03:49 AM
i'd give up a rifle or 5 if i could spend another day with a couple of my dogs...

Ditto:(

Murphy
08-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Say hello to my lil friend,

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l20/Murphy_2000/Family%20and%20Friends/Buddysfetchstick.jpg

This is 'Buddy', my best friends Lab. Buddy and I became friends before he was as big as his head is now. One of the biggest dogs I know, he weigh's roughly between 120-140 Lbs according to the time of the year.

The 'stick' he is carrying didn't last long. He loves to play fetch but first you have to take it away from him.

I don't think my friend would trade any amount of guns for Buddy, and if he did our friendship would be on the rocks. I'm with Al...I love em'.

Murphy

lbaize3
08-29-2011, 03:35 PM
The pup you see in the picture on the left passed on in July. He was with me for 17years, one month and five days. I would give every gun I have If I could get him back.

Murphy
08-29-2011, 10:51 PM
I've never met a dog I didn't like. I have however, met a few who's owner I'd like a few words with.

Murphy

grubbylabs
09-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Well if any of you are in the market for a new friend let me know. I happen to be getting a new dog to train this next week and he will be for sale next month after some training. I plan on selling the pup I am getting within the year as well. So if you need a good duck or goose hunting buddy let me know. All of our dogs leave with happy positive attitudes. They are also well behaved and mannered. I know for many of you it is a foreign concept to get a new puppy and treat it like family only to sell it a year later, but so far every one who has bought one of our dogs has been extremely happy with their new family member.

ChuckJaxFL
09-02-2011, 11:12 PM
I know for many of you it is a foreign concept to get a new puppy and treat it like family only to sell it a year later, but so far every one who has bought one of our dogs has been extremely happy with their new family member.

Yeah, to me it does! Not wrong at all, just different. I guess you view yourself more like a teacher than a parent?

Me... I'd buckle. At the end of the year, I'd end up keeping the dog!

6pt-sika
09-04-2011, 07:03 PM
English Setters Rule.

Gotta agree with that statement about 100 times over !

I've never owned any dogs but English Setters , Border Terriers and ONE hard headed English Pointer !

And the only dog I ever regret getting was that Pointer !

4719dave
09-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Boy ,another lab is tempting ive got a 14 yr old choc from laMist kennels in new york . she'd pick up those big black and white pumpkins that fell from the sky all day long ,the bad part is shes tired and the vets not to prommising .I'de give every gun i own to keep her around !!
Stay away from the remlins

grubbylabs
09-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I know its tough having a hunting friend get to the point where they can't go out any more. They look at you with those eyes that tell they would be there in a hart beat if they could and it tears you up on the inside.

280Ackley
09-05-2011, 09:10 AM

I'm with runfiverun on this one. I'd trade any rifle in my safe for another day in the field with this one. This picture was taken about 3 weeks before I had to put him down. He pointed 4 of the birds pictured that day. What a great memory.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/81814e64c9f6466e2.bmp (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2038)

DCM
09-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Say hello to my lil friend,

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l20/Murphy_2000/Family%20and%20Friends/Buddysfetchstick.jpg

This is 'Buddy', my best friends Lab. Buddy and I became friends before he was as big as his head is now. One of the biggest dogs I know, he weigh's roughly between 120-140 Lbs according to the time of the year.

The 'stick' he is carrying didn't last long. He loves to play fetch but first you have to take it away from him.

I don't think my friend would trade any amount of guns for Buddy, and if he did our friendship would be on the rocks. I'm with Al...I love em'.

Murphy

Man that picture makes me misty eyed. My old lab was a lot like that! Tons of spirit(stick? got me a small log, lets play!), loved to hunt, well over 100 Lbs. of muscle, could jump most fences with grace and ease, was the best mannered, most protective dog I have ever seen, any time he saw a new gun he was as excited as me! I have many fond memories and unbelievable stories about him. Man I miss him!

grubbylabs
09-05-2011, 11:09 PM
It seems as though many of you hunt with dogs for the same reasons I hunt train and breed them. If I can train the dog and run the dog, I could care less if I shoot another duck or goose again. For me its all about the dog and watching all the hard work and training come together. Plus the wag of the tail and the look in their eye when they bring back that first bird and how proud of themselves they are. Plus there is that quite time in the blind when you are just sitting there scratching their head and you know they are thinking that they are the luckiest dog alive.

oldgeezershooter
09-06-2011, 01:35 AM
Gotta love the Labs, my great-grandaughter was about 2" from my youngest Labs food bowl while he was eating and he never paid any attention.