PDA

View Full Version : Perfection, the BFR .500 JRH

44man
08-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Had to sell some guns to buy it but picked up my BFR yesterday. I hate to even touch the thing it is so pretty. Dimensions are TIGHT and even the cylinder has little movement.
I still do not see it listed as a production item so I suspect it came from the custom shop because I got it right from MR. I feel not enough distributors have placed orders.
This has to be the ultimate .500, smaller then the huge .500 S&W but capable of anything and recoil is not much different then the .475.
I got the 7-1/2" barrel for a primary hunting gun.
I can't buy an Ultra Dot yet but I have a Loopy I can put on it. I can't wait to shoot it.
Ignore my junk camera!

white eagle
08-26-2011, 09:44 AM
nice :goodpost:
I have been toying with the idea of selling off
a few myself to raise funds for such a project [smilie=w:

doghawg
08-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Congrats on the JRH. I listed a BFR in .500 S&W here in order to fund a JRH .....no interest.

44man
08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
I sit and stare at it! [smilie=1: No, not ready to take it to bed with me. The finish is superb. This thing is over built, strong hammer spring. Huge top strap.
I just can't wait for deer season.
Since I made the 440 gr Mold for Whitworth and stole some of his brass, I am ready. :kidding:

ole 5 hole group
08-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Great looking mini cannon you have there Jim. You might want to consider an aperture rear 9/32 or larger with a green fiber optic front sight. Keeps the weight down and with your old & decrepit eyes, you'll be able to get a good sight picture for collecting venison steaks.

I can send you a 7/32 if you want to try reaming her out a little. An xtra-tall green fiber optic front from BFR makes the package complete.

Whitworth
08-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Dang, is that a rifle? What's with the looooooooooong barrel? LOL! :kidding:

Excellent! Congratulations! Measure the barrel at the frame -- if it's 7.5-inches then it isn't from the Precision Center.

Can't wait to see how it shoots!

subsonic
08-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Nice! Get some comparison pics of the stuff that's different from your .475? Besides the holes drilled in it.. lol.

44man
08-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Nice! Get some comparison pics of the stuff that's different from your .475? Besides the holes drilled in it.. lol.
It looks the same but they might have tightened some things. Have to keep the cylinder from unlocking, etc. Yet the finish is better on this one. Does not make it shoot better of course.
I just put the base on and my old Loopy. I don't know how the rings will hold.
I run out of stuff and could not find Warne rings.
I am going down to shoot soon. I hate a scope for deer but have no choice right now. I just want to see what the gun will do.

jwp475
08-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Too bad that FA doesn't chamber the M-83 in 500 JRH, now that would be ideal

44man
08-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Too bad that FA doesn't chamber the M-83 in 500 JRH, now that would be ideal
It would not take my boolit length.

jwp475
08-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Will the Redhawk?

Whitworth
08-26-2011, 01:53 PM
It would not take my boolit length.

Actually it will. Your bullet is loaded to the same length as Buffalo Bore's 425 (the bullet you patterned yours after) and 440 grain loads and they work fine in the converted FA 83s. I shot the first one -- in fact, jwp has that one as well as one of the first BFRs in .500 JRH.

Jim, why don't you take the Ultradot off of your .475?? Get that thing ready for deer season!

44man
08-26-2011, 02:07 PM
First shots at 50 yards. I marked 1, 2 and 3. The Loopy has the friction adjustments for windage, drove me nuts. I went the wrong way once, then too far the other way. Clicks for elevation.
I got in center but wanted an inch high. One click is too much.
Stringing is from the sandbags, taming recoil is the next step. 5 in the center and 5 too high with one click
I shot a can at 100 and hit the top so I came down one click. Hardly no drop. Center at 50 looks like center at 100.
I ran out of loads, too much fun. Recoil is not the wrist twisting of the .475. It is heavy but not bad at all.

44man
08-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Will the Redhawk?
Maybe it will fit, I don't know for sure. Have you ever had a Freedom in .500 JRH?
No, I will not take the Ultra Dot off the .475. It is a go to gun every time around. Carol might let me buy one and some rings.
I have used this Loopy on many guns and have yet to get groups as good as the Ultra Dot. Yet it is strong. It is the old one with the target turret for elevation. Never have I been able to shoot groups with a scope as good as the Ultra Dot. There must be movement inside.

Whitworth
08-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Looks promising!

jwp has the first .500 JRH ever built and it is an FA 83.

Nonsense that it doesn't torque like the .475. It's pushing a heavier bullet and burning three more grains of powder and your two guns weigh the same. Maybe your sensitivity is heading south......

I might have an extra Ultradot to test if you are inclined........

jwp475
08-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Yes, I do have a FA 83 in 500 JRH. The Redhawk and SRH cylinders are the same length as the FA-83

subsonic
08-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Speaking of red-dots, I picked one of these up to try on my MKII last night.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bushnell174-Trophy-TRS-25-Red-Dot-Sight/748791.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3DTRS-25%26WTz_l%3DHeader%25253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=TRS-25&WTz_l=Header%253BSearch-All+Products

I will let you know if it lives. Good reviews and tiny with it's own "ring". A friend has one on an AR and it's doing well so far with a 3/4" riser.

Whitworth
08-26-2011, 03:33 PM
The price is right! I would be interested to see how it holds up!

white eagle
08-26-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm sold on Ultra dot
as far as non iron sight go

Whitworth
08-26-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm sold on Ultra dot
as far as non iron sight go

You and me both!

44man
08-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Whit, I don't know but this seems more pleasant to shoot from bags. It is not torque but less wrist twist. It must be speed of recoil. The twist from the .475 is UP, not sideways. This thing raises my arms different.
Yes it has recoil but it is not the "snap" the .475 has.

subsonic
08-26-2011, 06:12 PM
It says that the TRS-25 is tested to .375H&H. I think that probably equals .357 mag in a fullsize handgun.

bearcove
08-26-2011, 06:15 PM
OK I finally get my .475 and UP we go to .500. What difference is there? Is it 10% boolit weight at same velocity? You have both give!

subsonic
08-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Perceived recoil is such a funny thing. Some people like Bisleys, some SBH, others the old XR3 (flat top) while some even like the XR3-RED (new model BH).

I want to do an experiment sometime with the same load and same caliber in several different guns with different grip frames, but the same barrel length and see how things shake out.
Maybe the same gun with different barrel lengths even.

I wonder how much it has to do with hand size and shape vs strength and conditioning.

It would seem that a heavier boolit at the same speed from a slightly lighter gun would recoil more.

44man
08-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Perceived recoil is such a funny thing. Some people like Bisleys, some SBH, others the old XR3 (flat top) while some even like the XR3-RED (new model BH).

I want to do an experiment sometime with the same load and same caliber in several different guns with different grip frames, but the same barrel length and see how things shake out.
Maybe the same gun with different barrel lengths even.

I wonder how much it has to do with hand size and shape vs strength and conditioning.

It would seem that a heavier boolit at the same speed from a slightly lighter gun would recoil more.
What you say is true. I HATE the Bisley but others love them. Everyone is different and is why I tell all to try a gun from a friend to see if the grip is right for them. To buy any gun based on recommendations is a mistake. I sold my Bisley Hunter very fast. Others would give teeth away to own one.

44man
08-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Actually it will. Your bullet is loaded to the same length as Buffalo Bore's 425 (the bullet you patterned yours after) and 440 grain loads and they work fine in the converted FA 83s. I shot the first one -- in fact, jwp has that one as well as one of the first BFRs in .500 JRH.

Jim, why don't you take the Ultradot off of your .475?? Get that thing ready for deer season!
I made some measurements and you are correct. The boolit will fit a Freedom just fine.
I don't know if I want to touch many off in the lighter gun though! :mrgreen:

44man
08-27-2011, 10:10 AM
OK I finally get my .475 and UP we go to .500. What difference is there? Is it 10% boolit weight at same velocity? You have both give!
I shoot a 420gr in the .475 but have gone to 460 gr. I shoot a 440 gr in the .500 JRH. Velocities are almost the same. I have to chrono this new gun.
Yet, there seems to be a difference in recoil. I have no problem with the .475 but there would be no problem shooting 100 rounds with the JRH. Hard to explain.
I would never part with the .475 for any money and this one is going to be the same.
It is more pleasant to shoot then the huge BFR, .500 S&W. The .500 S&W is deadly accurate in both the BFR and X frame S&W. But is it needed?
I don't need a glove with the .475 or JRH, there is no pain. I needed a glove for the BFR .500 S&W. It whacked my knuckle.
The JRH seems to just come up, bringing my hands with it but the .475 comes up without my hands and will twist my wrist. A small difference for sure and since neither bothers me much, a small point. Both feel the same off hand.
I just feel the JRH is one of the best .50's out there.

44man
08-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Dang, is that a rifle? What's with the looooooooooong barrel? LOL! :kidding:

Excellent! Congratulations! Measure the barrel at the frame -- if it's 7.5-inches then it isn't from the Precision Center.

Can't wait to see how it shoots!
All BFR barrels should be measured from the frame or so I thought. Where does yours measure from?
I have the paper work and have been on the site many times and still can't find the JRH as a production item. They might be making some runs yet distributors are not placing orders or something.
Is this going to be something like the .480?

jwp475
08-27-2011, 10:46 AM
The end of the barrel isinsdie the frame and that is where they should be measured, at least that is where all other makers measure from

Whitworth
08-27-2011, 12:14 PM
All BFR barrels should be measured from the frame or so I thought. Where does yours measure from?
I have the paper work and have been on the site many times and still can't find the JRH as a production item. They might be making some runs yet distributors are not placing orders or something.
Is this going to be something like the .480?

Precision Center guns are measured correctly whereas the regular production BFRs are measured from the frame. So, you probably have an 8 1/2-inch barrel. Measure it from the frame. It is a production item. I came too late in the yeara to make the catalogs.

.480 is still with us.......

subsonic
08-27-2011, 01:00 PM
My 2011 catalog shows .500 JRH. Download the 2011 catalog from MR to see for yourself.

The whole gun industry is becoming "special order" one gun at a time. Nobody want to stock anything. They are all waiting for the bottom to drop out when Obama figures out how to squash the last of us that still earn money.

44man
08-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Precision Center guns are measured correctly whereas the regular production BFRs are measured from the frame. So, you probably have an 8 1/2-inch barrel. Measure it from the frame. It is a production item. I came too late in the yeara to make the catalogs.

.480 is still with us.......
As the .480 should be, A fine caliber.
Actually, my barrel would be 8-1/8". I will not quibble about it, it is what I want.
I need more weight to hold down the old age shakes! [smilie=l:

Whitworth
08-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Kentucky windage may work better......:bigsmyl2:

44man
08-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Kentucky windage may work better......:bigsmyl2:
Pete came today and I put a bunch of water bottles at 100. He hit them all mall plus a can. Hr loves the gun.