PDA

View Full Version : My first Mexican loop

Angus
08-26-2011, 02:16 AM
So I'm tired of the garbage nylon holster I toted on the trap line last season, so I figured with my new obsession with leather I should make something a little more proper. Here's my first Mexican loop. I should have tooled the loop and border of the rear flap, but I didn't think about it until it was all together, dyed, and finished. I'm on the hunt for a SAA clone in 357. Once I get one, that will get something flashier.

The revolver is my H&R 676 with grips made of crappy maple that was about to go through my father's wood stove. It's horribly inaccurate, but the possums don't seem to mind.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff264/DeathPenalty23/DSC_0545.jpg

cajun shooter
08-26-2011, 10:25 AM
The Mexican loop was one of the most popular holster styles of the old west. If you have time research THE HOLSTER WORN BY Chief Sitting Bull. John Wayne chose this style to wear in all his movies. He had the strap with out the backing however.

plmitch
08-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Fine looking job done there!

DoubleAdobe
10-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Hey Angus, I'll teach you how to bevel your edges if you'll teach me how to make those cool maple grips. All kidding aside though, keep at it, you just have to clean up those edges. PM me, I may have an extra tool for you.

Multigunner
10-08-2011, 08:50 PM
I've made two holsters of this general type. Both were for 1851 Colt Navy replicas so I used the double loop because of the greater length to accomdate the 7 1/2 inch barrels.
One was for a lefthanded shooter so I just flipped the pattern I'd made for the first holster.

PS
First holster of this type I'd seen close up was one a aquaintance had gotten with a Colt Frontier .44-40 he'd won in a poker game.
That old Colt was a beauty. Well worn but still in fine shooting condition, with the nicest set of real staghorn grips I've seen close up. The grips were yellowed with age and showed the wear of several lifetimes of use as a working side arm.

canyon-ghost
10-09-2011, 09:21 AM
I got one of those little possum killers in stainless. Like your maple grips, not bad at all.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/trailgun003.jpg

linotype
10-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Heck of a good job. Like what you did there.
Plan this winter to make a belt and a pair of holsters for CAS.
Giving me some ideas. [smilie=s:

Angus
10-15-2011, 01:18 AM
Heh, I am actually probably scrapping that holster for something a little flashier. I went to the leather guy, which is always a bad idea when I don't have any money. I walked out with a free horse hide split, a tan dyed sea snake hide, and a dark brown SEA BASS hide. That's right, SEA BASS. He sells horse hide strips for about $4 a sf, so I think I'll pick one up and do a horse hide Mexican loop with shark split overlay and sea bass inlay on the loop. I have a few really neat stamping tools coming too, they make some pretty wild looking conifer boughs.
It'll be a pretty wild holster for the most beater pistol I could find for tending the trap line.