PDA

View Full Version : Which .22 WRM rifles can be converted to centerfire?

leftiye
08-25-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm looking at Ruger 77/22M, and savage, stevens primarily. The goal is a .22 CCM rifle for general small game, and to get magnum power somewhat cheaper than the rimfire magnum cartridge manufacturers provide. I'm wondering if I could make a new front part for the two piece bolt, and a new firing pin and make it work. I guess a .22 hornet rifle in this group of rifles (add maybe CZ) could also relatively easily be rebarreled (or just shortened from the rear) to make a CCM.

izzyjoe
08-27-2011, 08:12 PM
well if a 22 mag won't do it, i'm goin' home.:shock: but really i don't think a rimfire would hold up to centerfire pressure. might be best to get a 22 hornet.

Piedmont
08-28-2011, 03:46 AM
I don't have an answer for you but certainly some rimfire rifles can handle centerfire pressures. The Remington 581s get converted to centerfire, but I think the action may be too short for what you want.

Why not take a Ruger in .22 Hornet and do your conversion on that? Maybe all it would take is setting the barrel back and rechambering.

John Taylor
08-28-2011, 11:55 AM
The 22 mag is loaded to 24,000 PSI. If you keep your loads in that range with the same rim diameter almost any rifle made for the mag can be converted to center fire, some may take more work than others.

leftiye
08-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Except for the larger bolt face rebarreling a .22 Hornet with a .22 WMR barrel would do it. The bolt face could be a real problem though - to cut some metal back on to. ::lol: At these pressures, the bolt should hold up if it were welded up and re-cut smaller though.

With some of the Savage 22 Hornets, there is another problem. The receivers are cut out of the rear of the barrel blank (they don't rebarrel).

The driving force here is I'm just about done with a .22 CCM model 14 S&W, and want a rifle in that caliber too. WMR presures are only slightly lower than I think may be best in a CCM as lead boolits might not be forgiving of much more that 28,000 psi. Basically it is an intrigueing project is all, with lower per cartridge costs.

Mk42gunner
08-29-2011, 01:23 AM
You might try to find one of the old 591/592 Remingtons in 5mm Rem. Then rebarrel it along with the centerfire conversion.

Of course with ammo somewhat available again, the price might be rising on those rifles.

Robert

S.R.Custom
08-29-2011, 02:45 AM
.... If you keep your loads in that range with the same rim diameter almost any rifle made for the mag can be converted to center fire, some may take more work than others.

Makes for an awfully small center fire rifle. I personally don't know many that fit into that category.

My advice would be to start with a Vixen sized .222 action, and download to your your satisfaction.

John Taylor
08-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Makes for an awfully small center fire rifle. I personally don't know many that fit into that category.

My advice would be to start with a Vixen sized .222 action, and download to your your satisfaction.

You missed the point, he already has a pistol with the same chamber.

Wally
08-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm looking at Ruger 77/22M, and savage, stevens primarily. The goal is a .22 CCM rifle for general small game, and to get magnum power somewhat cheaper than the rimfire magnum cartridge manufacturers provide. I'm wondering if I could make a new front part for the two piece bolt, and a new firing pin and make it work. I guess a .22 hornet rifle in this group of rifles (add maybe CZ) could also relatively easily be rebarreled (or just shortened from the rear) to make a CCM.

Why not get a .223 Rem Bolt action--use cast loads for general use and full .223 Rem ammo for heavy duty use? I have a 700 Rem that I use that way...

leftiye
08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but it jest wouldn't be the same. (Think rook rifle) Gonna start by making up a barrel for a contender. I've got a stub that cost me $100 and some .224 1in 14 barrels laying around. Gotta make me some stocks. The ones on gunbroker are muy expensive, and muy feo.

I'm still working on making a Rem. 581 into centerfire and .22 WMR chamber, and magazine.