PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't help but notice... Ruger lever gun

x101airborne
08-25-2011, 07:58 PM
I was reading another thread about someone wanting to purchase a 44 mag levergun. There were all kinds of suggestions and good advice all around, but I noticed that no one recommended the Ruger lever action. I have never owned or shot or coon-fingered one, but I have measurable respect for Ruger firearms and would like to own one of all Ruger's 44 rifles. What do I not know about Ruger lever guns that everyone else knows? Is there a reason that no one recommended the Ruger? Was it just overlooked?

John Taylor
08-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Didn't know they made a lever gun.

300winmag
08-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Didn't know they made a lever gun.
Me either, I will see if I can find one and post the link or pic.

300winmag
08-25-2011, 08:36 PM
A lever action centerfire rifle has been introduced by Sturm, Ruger & Company. This is their Model 96/44, chambered for the .44 Mag. revolver cartridge. With its chunky, one-piece "American hardwood" stock, complete with barrel band, it looks a great deal like their popular 10/22 autoloading rimfire rifle, or their discontinued .44 Mag. autoloading carbine. Like other Ruger carbines, it has a gently curved buttplate, 18.5" barrel, detachable rotary magazine, and streamlined hammerless action. Visually, the main addition is the husky, curved operating lever, snugged up against a rather shapeless pistol grip. It is clearly intended as a brush country deer rifle.
Unfortunately, comparing the 2007 Ruger and Marlin catalogs, the Ruger 96/44 lists for about $100 more than Marlin's Model 336A (also stocked in "hardwood"), which is available in the much more powerful and versatile .30-30 Winchester caliber. The new Ruger's magazine holds 4 rounds, compared to the Marlin's 6. Clearly, the new Ruger is not the "gun that won the west" over a century ago, and I am not sure that it is going to win it now
http://www.chuckhawks.com/lever_action.htm

NickSS
08-25-2011, 09:16 PM
300 win mag has a good point but the ruger is about like the old 44 mag auto loader with a lever instead of a gas piston. If you want a light woods rifle it may be something you would like but a clasic lever gun it is not. The mag only holds 3 or 4 rounds and restricat over all lenth to about a 240 gr factory load. I had the auto one years ago and it was a nice handy carbine but did not do it all for me. I ended up with a 30-30 Winchester and never looked back.

x101airborne
08-25-2011, 09:17 PM
While magazine capacity can be an issue, I have rarely fired more than 4 rounds at a time. I think the chunky stock may be more of an issue than anything (from pictures I have seen). And for 100 more than a marlin, it's a no brainer. Wonder why a "lesser" firearm would retail for more? Aluminum reciever versus steel and other virtues?

rayzer
08-25-2011, 10:37 PM
any ruger firearm that i have ever shot, had to have it's triggerpull lightened, so it is even close to be'in accurite. ruger has to lose the lawyer triggers, that they install at the factory. Otherwise they are nice guns.

pietro
08-26-2011, 10:49 AM
The Ruger 96/44 levergun, with Ruger's integral scope bases & color casehardened lever (ala Savage 99) has been discontinued for several years now.

It had a typical Ruger Carbine type stock, with forend barrel band, and was "OK" accurate for me.

I ended up selling mine though, for the same reason I sold my Mini-14 based .44 99/44 Deerstalker - I just couldn't come to terms with the non-walnut stock (stained birch doesn't do it for me, anymore).

I guess I'm a steel/walnut type of guy. [smilie=1:

Jeff H
08-26-2011, 11:04 AM
.......I just couldn't come to terms with the non-walnut stock ......

I could live with the Birch,...... I could live with "plywood," or even a composite if it fit and was not too "sticky" or too slippery. I wish they were populat enough that you could give Boyd's a jingle and order walnut if you wished, but the one thing that Ruger has done for years that I wish they would get away from is the slippery, wrap-around plastic butt plates.

It would be nice to have the resonably economical option of installing a rubber butt padmyself. My Ruger No. 3 (and my Rossi 92) have slick butts that make steadying either rifle offhand more trouible than it needs to be.

Ruger typically makes the LOP so long that I could use a thick pad and cut enough off the stock to eliminate the mortise on top of the stock, but the Rossi is too short (just right as is) for that.

While I admire the traditional look of historically accurate levers (or any classic), I would definitely try a Ruger lever-gun, especially if I could get one in .357. Worse yet, they would reintroduce it at the same time as offering the .256 Winchester and the .327 Federal. That might make my otherwise very conservative fiscal habits change for about a year per new or reintroduced configuration. I would be tempted to stop at the bank and take out a note as a hedge against them disappearing again within a year or two.

felix
08-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I like it for its quick throw lever. The lever in stock form can be manipulated with the little finger. I had LBT make a 250 grainer for the gun such that it followed the ogive of the 240 Speer for its superb functionality from that box magazine and into the barrel. Will shoot 2 inches at a hunnert. ... felix

Jeff H
08-26-2011, 01:12 PM
I like it for its quick throw lever. The lever in stock form can be manipulated with the little finger. I had LBT make a 250 grainer for the gun such that it followed the ogive of the 240 Speer for its superb functionality from that box magazine and into the barrel. Will shoot 2 inches at a hunnert. ... felix

If it's worth the work (yours or someone you pay to do it) to make a Rossi work easily, then I feel safe in saying that it would be a desirable characteristic from the factory. Point for the Ruger.

I have not owned or even shot one myself, but I have seen/heard references (here and elswhere) about overall length length of cartridges and the accompanying limitations of bullet weight being a concern. It may or may not be, but if there are limitations, I could personally live without bullets heavier than 250 or even 240 grains in a .44 mag. lever.

Nothing against heavy bullets, but my personal experience with them has been limited to the serious task of satisfying my curiosity and having fun - and that they did exceptionally well. I have had lots of fun with he 300 and 310 grain .44s, but my lead pile isn't getting any bigger right now either.

Someone is often quoted as having said something to the effect that "only accurate guns are interesting," but that isn't all that true for me. Something that shoots almost as well as I would hope for gives me something to do to divert my attention from other matters which would eventually eat my brain through constant exposure. 2" at a hundred would realistically serve me well but would also preoccupy me with an effort to improve upon it. I honestly can't say that I need better, it's just a matter of being picky, at least for what I would be using a .44 lever.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that my Rossi 92 in .357, even without a detachable box magazine, has overalll length limitiations of its own. I have not had a cast bullet yet, loaded in a .357 case, that will feed and chamber if I use the crimp groove. Everything has to be crimped forward of the crimp groove so far and with a LEE FCD at that, so the OAL concerns with the dtachable box magazine are of absolutely no concern to me, in fact, I wonder if it wouldn' work better (out of he box) than my Rossi anyway. Not arguing or poo-poo'ing anyone else's thoughts and ideas, I just don't see any of the detractors being a factor for me. I love my little 92, but I would have a tough time saying "no" if someone walked up and tried to trade me a Ruger for it. I have regretted some similar trades in the past, but I have made more that came out well than not.

maglvr
08-27-2011, 04:16 AM
"I have not had a cast bullet yet, loaded in a .357 case, that will feed and chamber if I use the crimp groove."

Try a Lee 358-166-SWC ;)

Fenring
08-27-2011, 04:33 AM
I've had a 96/44 for a few years - it's my go to close range pig gun. Shoots the 310gr Lee FNGC just fine, and the Devastator if it's seated in deep enough to fit in the mag.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/Fenring/Shooting/Gpigs2011/P1000726.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/Fenring/Shooting/Gpigs2011/P1000676.jpg

What I like: it feels and handles more like a modern rifle than most leverguns. Higher comb for scope use means you can cheek the stock properly, the grip feels full and the fore end is hand filling too.

short, slick lever throw.

Ruger's excellent scope mounting system - and compact iron sights for backup.

It feels much like a 10/22 to handle

What I don't like: the four shot magazine lets me down if I want to bomb up a mob of pigs compared to a 10 shot tube mag rifle.

x101airborne
08-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Fenring.... That is also my favorite use of a 44 mag rifle. GOOD JOB!!

I have the semi auto Deerstalker with a german post reticle 4x on it and it shoots well enough with Ranch Dogs 300 grainers and w-296. I bought some Leverevolution ammo the other day to try. You guessed it, wont feed. Neither will my 260gr SWC's. Still a nice handling rifle though.

Jeff H
08-27-2011, 11:39 AM
"I have not had a cast bullet yet, loaded in a .357 case, that will feed and chamber if I use the crimp groove."

Try a Lee 358-166-SWC ;)

I have been eye-ballin' that one but have not tried it. I should mention too that the fact that I have to crimp ahead of the groove is not a complaint, rather to point out that one of the supposed or potential problrms with the box mag. is something I deal with anyway, so really, it's no problem. That's a good lookin' bullet too. I may have to try that one yet.

I've had a 96/44 for a few years - it's my go to close range pig gun. Shoots the 310gr Lee FNGC just fine, and the Devastator if it's seated in deep enough to fit in the mag........

So, there ya go - many of the so-called detractors of the Ruger which I have heard/read aren't really all that much different from what you run into with pistol cartridges in traditional levers. Not that there are not differences or that each person's individual preferences are not important....

I'd love to give one a whirl myself.

Jeff H
08-27-2011, 11:42 AM
....I have the semi auto Deerstalker with a german post reticle 4x on it.........

Wish I still had the low power variable Bushnell with the "command Post" I let go some time in the eighties. The only one I have left is a 6x and too powerful for my pistol-caliber lever for me. Great setup for a pistol-caliber rifle or carbine.

pietro
08-27-2011, 12:05 PM
[It would be nice to have the resonably economical option of installing a rubber butt padmyself. My Ruger No. 3 (and my Rossi 92) have slick butts that make steadying either rifle offhand more trouible than it needs to be.]

It's fugly, but a bolt-on/drop-in, for about $15, all over the www.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/imagemagic.php?img=zOHCytncktPh0NDapJiQpZaYkZyX2NP b&w=500&h=400&page=popup

Jeff H
08-27-2011, 12:21 PM
.....It's fugly, but a bolt-on/drop-in, for about $15, all over the www......

Thanks, Pietro, but the other problem isn't with Ruger,....... it's with me.
I must have short arms because most of their rifles are too long for me to start with.[smilie=l:

canyon-ghost
08-27-2011, 03:59 PM
What's the name of this "fugly"??

Matthew 25
08-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Just what I was thinking Canyon-ghost! There has to be a limit to ugly somewhere. For function and toughness I'm sure that lever Ruger is great, but my goodness it is unattractive. I'd much rather have a Win or Marlin lever. I did just pick up a stainless 77/44. It seems light and fast and pretty quick for follow up shots. It's more of a project than a real hunter for me, though.

Fenring
08-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Fenring.... That is also my favorite use of a 44 mag rifle. GOOD JOB!!

I have the semi auto Deerstalker with a german post reticle 4x on it and it shoots well enough with Ranch Dogs 300 grainers and w-296. I bought some Leverevolution ammo the other day to try. You guessed it, wont feed. Neither will my 260gr SWC's. Still a nice handling rifle though.

Thanks mate. That rifle has taken many pigs. My little group of happy hunters has three members with 96/44's in it.

The LeverEvolution stuff feeds just fine through the 96/44. SWC's can be problematic - I loaded a few up with the shoulder seated in the case and a light roll crimp over the top. They feed, but are notchy. The same SWC's will not feed in my friends Marlin.

rond
08-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I got mine a few years back and like it a lot. Have shot many rounds of 240 SWCs and even 44 Specials with no problems. I am going to try 240 RNFP to see how they work.

L1A1Rocker
08-27-2011, 10:30 PM
I picked one up last year with the idea of bulding an integral suppressor around it. The rotary magazine lends itself well to this. Still haven't sent my paperwork off for the suppressor build yet, but I do have a great 300 grain HP mold from Miha for it!:-D

Jeff H
08-28-2011, 12:15 PM
I wonder who has used the RDO-432265 in the 96-44.

That's plenty heavy for me and has a large meplat.
Michael designed that for the Marlins, but it shoots extremely well in my Flat Top .44 Special. May be a good one to try in the 96-44.

x101airborne
08-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I dont have the 265 Ranch Dog, but I do have the 300 for the 44 mags. It is the Go To Round for my son's marlin and I have been wanting to try it in the ruger. For a 200 yard heavy rifle, I really like the 300 grainers in the 44 mag. And they also shoot tack head accurate in my ruger redhawk.