PDA

View Full Version : bfr 50AE

bigboredad
08-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Gunbroker has a number of these for ridiculous low prices lately. I know with the taper crimp it can be a real pita to get your bullets to stay in place. So if you just wanted a 50 caliber handgun just for no other reason than its big and makes a lot of noise and big holes would this be a good choice? Or is brass hard to get and the variety of bullet molds limited enough that the only choice would be a 325g. I can do that from my blackhawks so I would prefer something around 400gr. Right now I'm just tossing the idea around.

As for what it will be used for. Well walking is getting harder each day and this summer there has been a lot of days I could barely get around so hunting is basically out. So it would be just a fun gun for busting rocks and splitting chunks of wood and the occasional big water jug

white eagle
08-25-2011, 01:42 PM
sorry to hear that .....
but absolutely would blow some big o holes
in things n such

bigboredad
08-25-2011, 02:24 PM
sorry to hear that .....
but absolutely would blow some big o holes
in things n such

multiple sclerosis has really kicked my a$$ this summer. But I love blowing stuff up so as long as I can cast and hang on to my guns that's what I'll do. it's funny when I shoot it's the only time I can block every thing out and I don't feel to bad til i try to walk that is

Lloyd Smale
08-25-2011, 04:03 PM
I allways wanted to do a 4 inch redhawk in 50ae with moon clips. that way it could be roll crimped. Never got around to it and now it just isnt going to happen financially. Even in a single action a guy could easily run a 400 to a 1000 fps with a taper crimp and it would kill about anything you aimed it at.

subsonic
08-25-2011, 05:17 PM
For a couple of hundred dollars and cost of shipping, Magnum Research can put a .500 JRH cylinder in a .50AE for you. I'm not fond of .50AE, or rimless cartridges in revolvers in particular, but I'm sure it will still make big holes in things. If you watch carefully, you can find the .475s for less than $100 more than what the .50AE's are going for, and I think it's a more "boolit friendly" caliber because you can roll crimp and have positive headspace on the rim even if cases are slightly different lengths.

44man
08-26-2011, 09:22 AM
The JRH is where it is at. Be prepared for some recoil but it is close to the .475. Easier to load then an Auto pistol load in a revolver.
I just got my new BFR .500 JRH yesterday. What a jewel. I let the man at the gun shop shoot it, took some loads with me. He was impressed.

Whitworth
08-26-2011, 10:55 AM
The JRH is where it is at. Be prepared for some recoil but it is close to the .475. Easier to load then an Auto pistol load in a revolver.
I just got my new BFR .500 JRH yesterday. What a jewel. I let the man at the gun shop shoot it, took some loads with me. He was impressed.

The .500 JRH the way we load it kicks considerably more than the .475 -- the 3 more grains of powder will do that!

bigboredad
08-26-2011, 02:53 PM
I appreciate the info guys but as stated in the o/p hunting is not a consideration

Walt
08-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Big Bore,
If you want to go for the 50AE I can get you started with RCBS NIB dies and shell holder. I have some once fired brass and a box of Speer TMJs also.
Walt

bearcove
08-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Is the 50 AE rechamberable to 500 JRH. Not totally ignorant of the process but is bore size same? And is 500 JRH chamber same or larger in DIA? COAL? I might pick up one to rechamber later when I get all tooled up.

subsonic
08-26-2011, 10:45 PM
JRH is smaller at the rear than AE. The AE is tapered - think giant 9MM.

You might be able to go .500 Linebaugh, but it is .511" bore - so you'd need a new barrel. You *might* be able to make a rimmed .50AE that is .500Linebaugh length, but at some point it's just better to buy what you want.

bearcove
08-27-2011, 12:06 AM
I figured something like that or somebody would be doing rechambers.

bigboredad
08-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Big Bore,
If you want to go for the 50AE I can get you started with RCBS NIB dies and shell holder. I have some once fired brass and a box of Speer TMJs also.
Walt

Walt thanks for the offer I really appreciate it . If I decide to pull the trigger on this little venture I will send you a pm.

Walt
08-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Walt thanks for the offer I really appreciate it . If I decide to pull the trigger on this little venture I will send you a pm.

No sweat, just let me know and we'll work something out.

tcrocker
08-27-2011, 09:11 PM
I had one of the BFR's on 45-70 with a .458 dia it's almost a 50 cal and ammo is much more common.

bigboredad
08-28-2011, 10:23 AM
I had one of the BFR's on 45-70 with a .458 dia it's almost a 50 cal and ammo is much more common.

I have given the 45/70 lots of thought. A couple of things that I don't care for is the length of the loaded round and that each case needs to be lubed. other than that I wouldn't mind a 45/70 at all. I even have a bunch of brass and dies for it. If i found the right deal I'd jump on a 45/70

Whitworth
08-28-2011, 10:32 AM

I have to respectfully disagree. The .458 is no .50 cal -- not terminally speaking and the .45/70 is on the big frame whereas the .50 AE (and JRH) are built on the smaller framed revolver which can still be carried on the belt. JMHO.

44man
08-28-2011, 11:41 AM
I have given the 45/70 lots of thought. A couple of things that I don't care for is the length of the loaded round and that each case needs to be lubed. other than that I wouldn't mind a 45/70 at all. I even have a bunch of brass and dies for it. If i found the right deal I'd jump on a 45/70
It is a BIG revolver yet is so much fun and so stinking accurate if loaded right, you just can't put it down.
My BFR has out shot every 45-70 rifle I ever shot to 500 meters.

ole 5 hole group
08-28-2011, 12:39 PM
It is a BIG revolver yet is so much fun and so stinking accurate if loaded right, you just can't put it down.
My BFR has out shot every 45-70 rifle I ever shot to 500 meters.

I don't know exactly how to take that statement but I'm thinking maybe you can shoot revolvers and a bow a lot better than you can shoot a rifle.

No doubt the BFR 45/70 is a mighty fine and accurate revolver but I would think there's a few Marlin's and Browning's out there that will run with the BFR.

I've got a Marlin 450 that shoots very well and does so with sufficient recoil to make a grown man whimper a little.

Dframe
08-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I've never fired the revolver but a friend has a desert eagle in 50AE and the recoil while substantial isn't punishing.

Walt
08-28-2011, 09:45 PM
I had a Desert Eagle and fired a friends 7 1/2" Freedom Arms revolver pretty regular about ten years ago. In my experience the revolver was a ***** cat compared to the same model in 454. I found the recoil from the DE to be soft, not sharp, like the FA but, the DE had a twisting sort of recoil that I disliked so much that I traded it.

subsonic
08-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I know a guy that shoots really big stuff - like 12" .50 Alaskan in an Encore with iron sights big. Like 4" .500 X-frame S&W big. He sold his DE .50AE because it kept smacking him in the face. His theory was just when he thought he "had it" the slide unlocked and jerked the gun back at him again. I don't know. The only DE I've ever shot was a .357 and it was huge for that caliber and not a revolver, so I was not impressed.

bigboredad
08-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I like the 45/70 round a lot and I already have brass and dies but it is not a 50 its a stupid reason but it one detractor the other is also a pretty weak argument and that is the 50 is a normal sized revolver. As walking continues to get continues to get harder I don't see strapping on any revolver. I know the 45/70 would fulfill everything I would want it to do and then some and I also know it is a fun gun I have shot one and really had a lot of fun shooting it. Like I said if I could find the right deal I wouldn't hesitate

Whitworth
08-29-2011, 06:34 AM
I like the 45/70 round a lot and I already have brass and dies but it is not a 50 its a stupid reason but it one detractor the other is also a pretty weak argument and that is the 50 is a normal sized revolver. As walking continues to get continues to get harder I don't see strapping on any revolver. I know the 45/70 would fulfill everything I would want it to do and then some and I also know it is a fun gun I have shot one and really had a lot of fun shooting it. Like I said if I could find the right deal I wouldn't hesitate

How is it a weak argument? The .50s -- save for the .500 Smith, are built on the short frame BFR, not the long frame version. It's not much bigger than my Ruger Bisley Hunter.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/P1000390.jpg

Walt
08-29-2011, 06:00 PM
I know a guy that shoots really big stuff - like 12" .50 Alaskan in an Encore with iron sights big. Like 4" .500 X-frame S&W big. He sold his DE .50AE because it kept smacking him in the face. His theory was just when he thought he "had it" the slide unlocked and jerked the gun back at him again. I don't know. The only DE I've ever shot was a .357 and it was huge for that caliber and not a revolver, so I was not impressed.

The Desert Eagles in any caliber but 50 are quite soft shooting, including the 44 Mag.

bigboredad
08-29-2011, 06:40 PM
How is it a weak argument? The .50s -- save for the .500 Smith, are built on the short frame BFR, not the long frame version. It's not much bigger than my Ruger Bisley Hunter.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/P1000390.jpg

it is only a weak argument for me because it 90% I'll never carry it on a belt or shoulder holster. It was meant for me not as a argument for the normal crowd we have here

Whitworth
08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
it is only a weak argument for me because it 90% I'll never carry it on a belt or shoulder holster. It was meant for me not as a argument for the normal crowd we have here

Understood!

Frank
08-29-2011, 11:49 PM
What's wrong with the BFR in .500 S&W? You get the long-framed model and it's the .500 S&W caliber. Best of both worlds.

Whitworth
08-30-2011, 07:41 AM
What's wrong with the BFR in .500 S&W? You get the long-framed model and it's the .500 S&W caliber. Best of both worlds.

You tell me!

Nothing, really. Go big or go home! I prefer making big holes, but this is nearly a crew served weapon! .500 S&W top, .500 JRH bottom.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/MarkoR/P1010853.jpg

44man
08-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Both are deadly accurate too but the .500 S&W makes me put a glove on. Even though the grip fills behind the trigger guard, it got me, just the rubber, not steel. I would hate to have steel smack me! :veryconfu
The JRH needs no glove and is really not bad to shoot. The boolit we use is only 20 gr more then the .475 and is running about the same velocity. I need to chrono mine. The JRH is actually fun to shoot and a water bottle at 100 is a mist cloud. It is very easy to load for.
I am going down today to measure drop at 200 for fun.
I won't shoot Whit's .50 Alaskan, there is only a little air behind the guard. Anyone shooting a TC in that caliber has cast iron hands and rocks for brains. Stick that horse in a rifle and it will beat you black and blue, I should say MULE because they kick hard. :bigsmyl2:
The fellow at the gun shop had cuts on his fingers and thought he had a broken finger from shooting a 45-70 TC. The BFR 45-70 is super nice to shoot.
Now the DE in .44 has a fast twist, it is 1 in 18" so it will torque. I don't know the .50 AE twist but it should be at home in the DE. I just don't like the case in a revolver, it is like the .45 ACP, harder to work with. Case length, crimps, holding boolits in under recoil, etc. At least the ACP has moon clips.
I don't mind recoil but there is a place I STOP and fun stops.
Th AE in a revolver should not be bad, it is the rimless case I don't like.

Ed K
08-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Magnum Research pulls some stunts from time to time that do not lend themselves well to supporting pricing of their revolvers. Apparently the bean counters decide that are overstocked on this or that BFR caliber and dump a ton of stock on someone like CDNN. This would appear to force the market prices of all new and used BFRs down somewhat. For example the "cheap" 50AE BFRs now on Gunbroker were $599 with free shipping at CDNN for a year or so. This is certainly even lower than dealer cost so some dealers with a little cash must be buying quite a few of these and selling them once the liquidated supply is exhausted. MR has done this with several calibers.

Now the 50AE represents a good deal if one can be happy with the round and bought it from CDNN. Now however, paying what looks to be about $750 or so delivered (adding shipping and transfer fees) and then another round trip to MR for a $200 JRH cylinder gets you close to $1000. The end result is a dual cylinder convertible which is nice but I don't see the same utility as a 9mm/357 or a 45ACP/45 Colt revolver. You do get a 50 cal for a whole lot less than a FA or custom. But what did you save over a factory BFR in JRH now that they are orderable? Nothing really. You do have something nice in the JRH - there's no doubt about that but the "deal" has pretty much evaporated. Too bad there isn't a market for $200 used 50AE cylinders!

Probably the best "deal" were the $500-600 475s because they were useable in final form as is from the liquidators.

44man
08-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Magnum Research pulls some stunts from time to time that do not lend themselves well to supporting pricing of their revolvers. Apparently the bean counters decide that are overstocked on this or that BFR caliber and dump a ton of stock on someone like CDNN. This would appear to force the market prices of all new and used BFRs down somewhat. For example the "cheap" 50AE BFRs now on Gunbroker were $599 with free shipping at CDNN for a year or so. This is certainly even lower than dealer cost so some dealers with a little cash must be buying quite a few of these and selling them once the liquidated supply is exhausted. MR has done this with several calibers.

Now the 50AE represents a good deal if one can be happy with the round and bought it from CDNN. Now however, paying what looks to be about $750 or so delivered (adding shipping and transfer fees) and then another round trip to MR for a $200 JRH cylinder gets you close to $1000. The end result is a dual cylinder convertible which is nice but I don't see the same utility as a 9mm/357 or a 45ACP/45 Colt revolver. You do get a 50 cal for a whole lot less than a FA or custom. But what did you save over a factory BFR in JRH now that they are orderable? Nothing really. You do have something nice in the JRH - there's no doubt about that but the "deal" has pretty much evaporated. Too bad there isn't a market for $200 used 50AE cylinders!

Probably the best "deal" were the $500-600 475s because they were useable in final form as is from the liquidators.
I have mentioned before, it is not MR, it is distributors stuck with guns the general public does not know or they fear them. They put them on sale to deplete stock.
Not many can handle the big guns.
I have seen many .44's on consignment after 10 shots. Can you imagine some nimrod touching off a .475 for the first time? :Fire:
Yes, it is a problem for MR because orders fall off. I don't blame them, they can get in a pinch. They MUST make money to stay in business and I suspect they need to take a loss now and then.
They have a hard business with the large calibers.