PDA

View Full Version : what is this mould?

Sundogg1911
01-23-2007, 09:40 PM
I bought some reloading/casting equipment from an estate sale. there was about 15 bullet/slug/sabot moulds. there was an odd looking mould (at least I think thats what it is) It's from C. Palmer MFG. from West Newton, PA. I know that they are/were big in sinker and jig moulds, but I have no idea what it is.
you can view the pictures at: http://choppdaddy.com/mould/
i've had it for about 4 or 5 years now, but I don't know why I still have it. :roll:
any ideas?

dragonrider
01-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Danged if I know. I suppose it could be a core mold but it appears as if both ends are open so that might not work either. That three piece design is pretty cool though.

IcerUSA
01-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Kind of looks like a trebble hook mold to me, for snagging in the rivers. Not possitive tho :)

Rick Hodges
01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
It looks like a handline sinker mold to me. A heavy wire (coat hanger?) has a eye twisted in the end and the other end of the wire extends 4 or 6 inches beyond the big end of the mold. The wire bounces off the bottom when trolling and helps to prevent hang ups. Just my guess, but similar rigs are used by handline trollers in the lower Detroit River and it is a killer technique for Walleye.

Rick

Johnch
01-23-2007, 10:48 PM
That is for casting spiders , to be used to snag fish .
You insert a treble hook eye out the small end
With a hook shank between each mould section
Then you turn it over and pour it full of lead

Many of the moulds were made by Hilts or DoIt , can't tell the brand or exact size from the pic

I used to have 1 that looked real close to that , that took 4/0 trebles and weighted 4 oz

They still use them to snag carp and paddlefish ( I think )

Johnch

Sundogg1911
01-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Johnch. thanks! no one around here seemed to know. It's been driving me crazy for a while now. Now i just have to figure out what to do with it. :-) by the way. thab lab picture sure looks like one of my dogs!

Johnch
01-24-2007, 12:34 AM
I hope yours is as good of a dog .
He go's from being the find any pheasant , quail ect to making a 1/2 mile swim to fetch a crippled duck .
To the dog that plays with every kid he can find
To the best leg warmer
He likes to sleep under the covers

Well I spoiled him

John

357maximum
01-24-2007, 04:54 AM
johnch nailed it....they use to be used for snaggin salmon here in the heyday of great lakes salmon runs, they are outlawed here as is the snaggin now... that is the nicest mold for making them I have ever seen.... would proably bring a premium for "vintage" snagging lure mold on fleabay....they were called snowflies, bluebullets, and alot of other colorful names when I was a kid...