PDA

View Full Version : Another long time lurker has joined...

Silver Eagle
08-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Hello, since I have been a long time (1 year +) lurker at this site I finally created an account. I have done a lot of reading in the stickies and general thread. I can sincerely say that the information and humor around here is some of the best on the net. :Luvcastboolits:
]Thanks to the influence of a friend and fellow CB member, I recently ordered and have started using a Lee Hand press and have loaded a few 45 ACP rounds for my Kimber Gold Match. Not much room in my place to setup a full casting bench. :sad:

I am currently looking for a good place to shoot in the Western suburbs of Chicago. There are a couple indoor ranges for handgun and smallbore rifle. Looking for a place outdoors, public or private, that I can shoot handgun, rifle and airguns.
I would also be interested in meeting other shooters and reloaders in the area.

Silver Eagle

Dean D.
08-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the Zoo Silver Eagle! Glad to have you aboard.

smoked turkey
08-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Silver Eagle welcome. I like your forum name. Now that you are here you are ready to fly first class! You already know this is a great place to hang your hat. You have done well by reading the stickies. They are a treasure of learning for most of us here.

Ajax
08-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Welcome aboard Silver Eagle.

Wayne Smith
08-25-2011, 07:51 AM
WARNING!! You are not yet in enough to be totally addicted! Run now! Run far! Or prepare your family for lots of time shooting, new engaging hobbies, and the thrill (expecially if you have boys) of playing with hot molten metal.

Contrary to popular belief you will save money over what you would have spent to shoot at the level and frequency you will shoot when you reload. It really starts showing when you shoot your own cast. Just remember, the comparision isn't to not shooting, it's to the cost of this amount of shooting if I didn't reload/cast.

Bret4207
08-25-2011, 09:07 AM
BWWWWAAAAHHHHHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another one lured to the silver side!

Welcome, have fun with it.

dragonrider
08-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Silver Eagle, hello and welcome,

mold maker
08-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Casting needn't take a lot of room. Most everything you need can be as portable as a couple 5 gal buckets, and a picnic table.
Welcome to the madness, and enjoy it. It's an affliction, for which there is no known cure.

08-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Welcome, Silver Eagle.

As you discovered, reading the stickies is an excellent way to become initiated into casting and reloading.. Don't forget the Archive -- the link is located at the bottom of each page.

Have fun.

OBIII
08-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Welcome aboard Silver Eagle. Be sure to peruse the chat room anytime, but most crowds are there around 8pm EST. I started loading .357 with a Lee hand loader. Time consuming but worthwhile. In actuality, you do not need a lot of space for a "reloading bench". You could just mount a press to a small stand, bring it to your chair while you are watching Fox news.

Echo
08-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Welcome, SE. +1 for what the others have said.

Wayne Smith
08-25-2011, 04:09 PM
I loaded for years with the RCBS JR3 clamped to the dining room table with a towel under it. I'd load, take it down, we'd have dinner, and if I wasn't done, I'd put it back up and finish. At that time the whole kit and kaboodle was in a large sales case, except the press. It would all store in the bottom of a closet.

Silver Eagle
08-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Many thanks for the warm wishes [smilie=s:, and the warnings!:shock:
The handle comes from my days before the internet on the BBS's (aging myself, I know.)
Since I am a night shifter and a night owl, I will be seeing who else is in chat during the late hours. A couple times a week, I try to imitate a day person
The Lee hand press is getting me by for the current reloading needs. As well as attempting to convince the SWMBO that all of this stuff will save me money! ;-)
As for casting, the area I live in has gone so far as to regulate BBG grills! As of a couple years ago we cannot use a charcoal grill on our patio. I also don't think using the stove and kitchen counter would impress the SWMBO much! :-x
As for shooting in the area, basically if it flies it is probably banned! A LEO even told me that the law is so vague, it even can include Nerf guns!

Silver Eagle

08-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Sounds like Downers Grove is a real downer, man.

MtGun44
08-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Welcome to the hobby. I hope you can find some place to shoot that is convenient.

Illinois is pretty much the most antigun state in the union, it would appear. Best of luck
living in the belly of the beast. I've got a bunch of relatives in southern Illinois that are not
big fans of the Chicago folks in general.

Bill