PDA

View Full Version : What type holster do you pefer for hunting

dale.l
08-24-2011, 10:17 PM
I just bought a ruger bisley hunter 44mag for deer hunting. Trying to decide what type holster to buy, shoulder or hip. Im afraid it's going to be alot of weight hanging from a belt.
so far the only quality shoulder holster I've found is a galco kodiak.

I'd be intersted in hearing that holster you use and how you like it.

Angus
08-24-2011, 10:34 PM
I carried a SRH in 480 in a drop leg last season, and a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in a Mexican loop the year before. Both of them were very comfortable. This coming season I'll probably be carrying a 4 5/8" single action in a Mexican loop again. It really is a very comfortable holster design.

bearcove
08-24-2011, 11:23 PM
I like a shoulder holster for a 7 1/2 or scoped. But prefer a cross draw for my 6" BH it draws with less motion.

WARD O
08-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Using the proper belt greatly helps the belt holster stay put and distributes the weight.

You might check out some of the chest holsters. It rides the gun right in the middle of your chest with easy access. It is comfortable and out of the way - works well with a day pack and allows access to your pockets. I'm playing with an "Alaskan Chest Holster" and am finding it pretty nice and handy. It's made of nylon and includes a few loops for extra ammo, comes in camo or black and sells for less than $100. Easy on and off too.

Ward

LUCKYDAWG13
08-25-2011, 11:49 AM
have a look at QUIETHIDE holsters dave does great work made to fit your gun
qh-holsters.com 605-610-5442 he made one for my contender and love it
give it a look

Ickisrulz
08-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Tanker holsters are nice and comfortable. I have one for my Super Blackhawk.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-154-25-1942-tanker-holster-3-to-5-barrels.aspx

DanWalker
08-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Have you ever thought about buying a small daypack for hunting? I use one, and just hang my blackhawk or 1911 in a simple hip holster from the waist belt. The shoulder straps of the pack help to distribute the weight of the gun quite nicely. I tried numerous gunbelts and shoulder rigs, including the Wyoming combination holster, and none of them were as comfortable as just putting my hip holster on the waist belt of my daypack.

subsonic
08-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I like a strong-side belt holster with suspenders. The suspenders keep your pants up and having the gun on the belt strong-side is easier to draw for me. I usually sit with the gun out and laying in my lap once I get into a stand or blind. I also have only carried 5.5" or shorter guns when hunting. The longer barrels seem like they might be more suited to cross-draw.

Check out the "Long Hunter" from Simply Rugged. I'm looking at those and thinking about getting one. I have a "Sourdough Pancake" for my 4" 629 and it is great worn strong-side - even passable as a CCW setup with the IWB loops. I just wish the IWB loops fit my belt tighter. I think they're long enough for a 2"+ wide belt.

dale2242
08-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder holsters.
I quit using leather a long time ago.
Pack the weight of your hand gun with your back not your hips....dale

redneckdan
08-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Check out 7x Leather by freedom475 here on the forums. He makes a nice chest rig.

pietro
08-25-2011, 07:41 PM
For over 25 years, for my scoped & unscoped .44 Mag & .454 revolvers, I've successfully used the Bianchi 4100 Ranger H.U.S.H. (HUnting Shoulder Holster) - which is available in a scoped model or for unscoped revolvers, in several different barrel lengths & frame sizes,

It is a cross-chest, bandollier-type holster, that can be used with either a safety retention strap, or an interchangeable full flap.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/prodimages/4100_l.jpg

If I'm stalking, or in a treestand - where the revolver is in hand, ready to shoot - the H.U.S.H. is easily slid around towards the back of the shoulder, out of the way.

Kraschenbirn
08-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Out in the sticks, I've carried a 4 5/8" Ruger in an old Bucheimer-Clark crossdraw for years. Wearing a daypack (lunch, extra camera gear, poncho, etc.) when hiking rules out a shoulder rig for me.

Bill

HammerMTB
08-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder holsters.
I quit using leather a long time ago.
Pack the weight of your hand gun with your back not your hips....dale

Same here, my SRH 9.5" 44 Mag and 1.5-4X scope weighs 6.5 lbs. Strapped up snug it will carry there all day and lets both my hands be free 'til I need my "one-hand'led rifle"

MT Gianni
08-25-2011, 11:39 PM
It isn't made for it but a 4 5/8" Blackhawk fits fine in a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster for a 6" L frame.

9.3X62AL
08-26-2011, 12:54 AM
This will date me back to the Stone Age, but whatever. I really like the old GI LC web belts and suspenders (when the load weight justifies it), and rigging a hip holster to the belt. I have a Bianchi UM-84 that fits all the full-size centerfire autopistols, and the leather Hunter holsters I use will slide over the web belt quite well. The suspenders and belt will support a Redhawk all day, and this is the only rig I've used to date that will do so.

If I'm in and out of a truck frequently, a shoulder rig does well.

Jal5
08-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Simply Rugged makes a great rig using the pancake style holster with straps that allow you to wear it cross draw. I find my 6" S&W rides very comfortably in it and I can climb into the stand with no problems, very secure fit.

Lloyd Smale
08-26-2011, 07:20 AM
i wont hunt with any handgun that wont carry well in a plain old hip holster.

98Redline
08-26-2011, 08:09 AM
I looked long and hard for a comfortable holster for my Scoped SBH Bisley Hunter.

Not being a fan of cadora nylon I really wanted something in leather. Being left handed really slimmed down the choices as less than half of the manufacturers make left handed holsters for their complete line. I finally decided and ordered a Wyoming Combo Holster from Ringler leather.

It fits as a bandolier type with a strap that cinches the bottom of the holster to your belt. The gun rides just under your arm and stays put. The best part is that when it is on you really don't feel the weight of the gun. The leather strap distributes the weight very well and is stiff enough that it will not twist or move around. The more I wear it, the more comfortable it gets.

cajun shooter
08-26-2011, 10:17 AM
I have read all the postings and see that you have all the answers that apply to the member who posted but not to you. Not a single person ask any questions about your size, if you had any disabilities, what type of terrain you hunt or if you walked or rode to your hunting area. If you ride a horse or machine or truck will change each answer.
Your size also matters. I saw where one poster even stated that the holster did not need any type of retention strap or leather thong to hold the gun. I see where this poster hails from NEW MEXICO. It is a very fine state and I love visiting there. It also has thousands of acres that have no trees or bushes to pull your gun from the holster. Wear a holster hunting in the Louisiana swamps or woods with a holster built that way and you will come home with no gun. My point is that what applies to one person will never work for the next guy. Start out on your PC and see how many styles you will find. Over the years I have purchased no less than 50 holsters. Many of them were perfect for one thing and then would become uncomfortable after being worn for 8 Hours. Its a very hard thing to find but you have to purchase a holster by yourself. You may make a mistake but then you will know what does not work. The best thing about this is that any good holster may be resold. Best of luck in your hunt.

ole 5 hole group
08-26-2011, 10:43 AM
You can always look at a combination holster. Usually a good thick gun belt with a belt holster is your best bet, but when you get to 7-1/2” to 9” barrels I personally like the Wyoming Combination holster. It’s well made but expensive as hell, as are most good custom products.

Here’s their website: http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/leathercustombeltsquality.html

Wheeler
08-26-2011, 11:30 PM
I've always found the topic of holsters to be every bit as subjective as asking what the best caliber is for self defense. ;)

I typically carry in a front pocket and strong side belt or paddle holster for concealed carry. Neither works very well for me in the woods, as my concealed carry holsters have retention screws, not a thumb snap or other type of manually engaged form of retention. The pants I wear while hunting do not have very deep front pockets, so the butt of the pocket gun tends to hang out, and while I dont think it will fall out, it hangs out enough to make me mentally umcomfortable. If I'm wearing a backpack, the butt of the gun bumps the bottom of the pack while in a strong side holster. If it's really cold and I'm layered up, then access is a problem as well.

I've finally settled, (because finding the perfect piece of kit is as elusive as winning the lottery) on a leather Bianchi vertical shoulder rig that fits a 4" L frame S&W or GP series revolver. It's actually qute comfortable to wear, adjustable for clothing thickness, and provides reasonably fast access. It also has a thumb break retention, which serves well here in the SE US as things are a bit more brushy than some other parts of the country. It also works well entering and exiting vehicles.

If I wear it under a jacket, and then put on a backpack, I have some pulling and adjusting to do to get it to sit right. Speaking of which, I prefer to wear it under at least my outer shell, so that the gun isn't quite so freaking cold if I have to lay hands on it.

Good luck in your search. I sincerely hope you can use the information provided by myself and all the others and make the right purchase for you the first time. :)

Best Regards,

Wheeler

Markbo
08-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Excellent response! The choices for holsters are exceeded only by the choices in guns. For a big gun like the Ruger Hunter series, they can be carried scoped or not. I am an XL type of guy with a 50 year old belly. I like cross draw holsters, but for shorter barreled guns. My .32 Single Six is carried in the field far more than any other single six gun in a cross draw rig.

If the barrel is longer and the gun un-scoped I prefer a strong side carry up a little high. The choices are myriad. I happen to be fond of Tom Threepersons style with a hammer loop. El Paso Saddlery offers some high quality choices. If scoped a Bandolier type cannot be beat for all day long carry because you can shift the weight around and you are carrying it on your shuolders/back, not on your hip.

Uncle Mike's has one to fit and are cheap. They can be had with or without flaps. OR you can go absolutely first class and get a Barranti in leather:
http://www.barrantileather.com/images/signature_series_nwh_vttp.jpg

Mike Barranti offers a dizzying array of options and unbeatable quality work. Or you can do what sounds like an awful lot of us have done and end up with a very large box or two of holsters - mostly no longer used - until you find your favorite. ;)

let us know what you decide.

ETA: Sorry about the pic size.. it came out way bigger than I thought it would!

freedom475
08-28-2011, 04:55 PM
First, I would like to thank those of you that mentioned my name!:drinks:

I have made and tested many different styles of holster in the quest to find the absolute BEST holster for packing a six gun in the outdoors. I wanted a great way to carry my own gun into the field.

After lots of testing I believe that I have succeeded. My chest holster is (IMO) the best that I have found/used. It has undergone a lot of testing and I have had to modify the patterns a few times... but I am now positive that it is the best way to carry while in the field.

I make holsters for a living and can have any type that I want...this is how I carry mine in the field.

It is so versitile that it will fit just about everyone, and it is truly a multi-position holster.

I am so sure that you will love this holster... If you order one and are not fully satisfied, just send it back for a full refund. I also stand behind the workmanship... buy one and tear it up 5 years down the road, and I'll fix or replace it for free.. (IF you servive the wreck and share the story with me..lol)

Here are a couple pics from a few of this years Mountain adventures... one pic is a 7 1/2" Ruger SBH 44mag and the other is a SBH Bisley Hunter with a 2x6 Bushnell Elete 3200 scope. Thes are Heavy guns... this holster really shines with a 1911 or a a small 4" Nframe.

PM Me here and I'll give you my Phone number if interested.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=107&pictureid=4196
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=107&pictureid=4197

223Pitbull
09-06-2011, 10:36 PM
For the last five years I have been using a Bandito shoulder holster from http://www.pistolpackaging.com/Bandito_Shoulder_Belt_p/bsb.htm to carry my 480 Ruger Raging bull.

Matthew 25
09-07-2011, 12:15 AM
I have a SBH Hunter and really like the Bianchi Lawman on the hip (no scope). I'm sure if I hunted with a scoped gun, I'd want a chest holster like Freedom 475's.

Markbo
09-07-2011, 08:44 PM
For the last five years I have been using a Bandito shoulder holster from http://www.pistolpackaging.com/Bandito_Shoulder_Belt_p/bsb.htm to carry my 480 Ruger Raging bull.

Wow $40 for a full leather holster? That would be worth the price just to check one out!

223Pitbull
09-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Wow $40 for a full leather holster? That would be worth the price just to check one out!
Sorry......That is just the belt, holster is seperate.

frankenfab
09-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I like the Bianchi Lawman. I have one. But I have 2 of the Freedom Arms, and I like them better. It's a plain and rugged design.

You didn't specify whether or not you intend to scope your reveolver. If so, you will want to look at other options, anyway.

Markbo-That is exquisite!